Avon Cobra AV71 identification and Trike Ride Height

Reaction score
Hello Everybody,

This is my first post.

I just bought a 2004 Motor Trike Adventure with only 4K on the bike and 600 miles on the trike.

Want to replace the front tire because it is original. Read on these pages that the Avon is the way to go. Is the trike version of this tire have something on the tire that identifies it specifically for a trike? Also on the Dennis Kirk website I see 130/70R-18 with an H, V4.00 3, and V4.00 2. Any application that is preferred? And finally the best place to buy?

Also the trike sits low. The support system for the aqua shield rides just 4 inches off the ground. I had the Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 front end in my 2001 that I just sold and loved it. Retired now and money is more scarce and the AK-20 is $1200. What modification will raise the trike? Traxxion Dynamics springs? Progressive springs?

Thanks for you opinions.

Tom

The Avon your looking for is specifically for trikes and marked as such.

Example:https://www.amazon.com/Avon-Tire-70R18-Trike-90000020646/dp/B00T6J2H4I

Motor Trikes of which I have an Adventurer do sit awfully low to the ground.

Watch out for speed bumps. I try to go around most of them. Im not aware of any way to raise the trike except to increase the air pressure in the rear end.

That makes for a more uncomfortable ride. Other then with a full tank of gas. Ive never had it over 35psi and lower it to 25 psi at half a tankful.

My rear tires are at 22.5psi.

Im sure you have read some of my posts on the Avon. Im probably the only one here that prefers a rear tire on the front.

Im not liking the Avon one bit. Feels like a regular bike front tire to me. I cant wait till mine wears out. Any day isn't fast enough.

What modification will raise the trike? Traxxion Dynamics springs? Progressive springs?

Raising the front end will probably require new springs and fork cap extension. The reason I say probably, is because it depends on what your have now. Both Progressive and Traxxion will raise a naked GL1800's front end about an inch. Most trikes have a rake kit, so an inch on a trike is usually less. Between the 2 brands, I prefer the ride quality of Traxxion over the Progressives. Fork caps extend the over all length of the forks allowing them to be pushed down about 1.5" in their mounts. However, you may already have those.

I have the Avon on my trike (Roadsmith) 1800 Honda, this is my first year/season of riding a trike, so I'm not coming on like an expert, BUT I took to a trike like a duck in water, LOVE it!

I put an Avon on because my builder recommended this type of tire for a trike (and my old D-3 was wearing out anyways w/ 10,000+ miles on it) BUT I have found this tire rides wonderful, and I would not hesitate to replace it with another Avon when the time comes... I have approx. 5000 miles on my new trike'd out bike now since converting... MAN O' MAN, how I love trikes, why did I wait over 50 years to try a trike.......I just turned 41,000 miles on my bike (approx. the last 5000 miles of it was trike'd riding...

Ronnie

Springfield, Massachusetts

The Avon your looking for is specifically for trikes and marked as such.

Example:https://www.amazon.com/Avon-Tire-70R18-Trike-90000020646/dp/B00T6J2H4I

Motor Trikes of which I have an Adventurer do sit awfully low to the ground.

except to increase the air pressure in the rear end.

That makes for a more uncomfortable ride. Other then with a full tank of gas. Ive never had it over 35psi and lower it to 25 psi at half a tankful.My rear tires are at 22.5psi.

Im sure you have read some of my posts on the Avon. Im probably the only one here that prefers a rear tire on the front.

Im not liking the Avon one bit. Feels like a regular bike front tire to me. I cant wait till mine wears out. Any day isn't fast enough.

I have the Michelin for traveling spare Cupped Bad with 20k compared to my Avon Trike with 20k no cupping. Mich rode like a dump truck, even though that's all I want on my Dodge diesel. I Don't see another choice to try. I won't put on a cheap brand to save $30. I like the Avon ride. I don't like any trike handling, Its a high speed lawn mower. Trikes are safer,I wont wear a helmet so Im stuck with it.

Thanks

Thanks for taking your time for the responses and thanks for the welcome posts. Going to order the tire today.Ride Safely.Tom

Hello Everybody,

This is my first post.

I just bought a 2004 Motor Trike Adventure with only 4K on the bike and 600 miles on the trike.

Want to replace the front tire because it is original. Read on these pages that the Avon is the way to go. Is the trike version of this tire have something on the tire that identifies it specifically for a trike?

Yes ... it will say so on sidewall:

Attachments

• 022316 It's a Cobra Trike Radial 800w.jpg
    022316 It's a Cobra Trike Radial 800w.jpg
    264.6 KB · Views: 80
  • 022316 Label 1 640w.jpg
    022316 Label 1 640w.jpg
    267 KB · Views: 74
  • DSCI0001 (640x594).jpg
    DSCI0001 (640x594).jpg
    337.6 KB · Views: 81
  • 022316 Stands Alone 640w.jpg
    022316 Stands Alone 640w.jpg
    242.4 KB · Views: 77

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Obsidian
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png