107 engine stalls ocassionally at idle

I am still not having this problem & am good with that.

My FW will hunt around a little at idle, ranging from 830-870 rpm, but not 1 stall, so I guess I'm lucky in this regard. :cool:

107 stalling

Just took my 2018 in to shop yesterday with the same problem will be worked on Monday. Hopefully they can duplicate the problem but the cold weather made it run great on the way over, only stalled once when I was at the gas station

I had mine in the shop for the same issue said they couldn't duplicate the idle issue.I asked if they rode it and they said no.I told the tech if you don't ride it it will not stall,he called me back about a half hour later and said yep you were right as soon as he rode it it stalled.The issue is the clutch safety switch,so they have to replace the complete switch pack.Have had no issues since.

107 stalling

got a call from dealer yesterday said bike was fine idle was ok no codes. They

rode it in mid 20s weather it never got out of cold mode. Talked to service manager said he would try in wednesday when it was in the 50s. will wait till then, tried to get him to call Harley because they are having problems with the left switch pack

HD Dealer checked it out last week. Apparently, it is the clutch safety switch and they are on back order.

Let you know after it gets changed out. Might be next season!

So I've put about 250 miles on this Spring and the stalling issue seems to have been fixed. The clutch switch was changed out at the end of last year and I put it to bed right after. No problems at all, even yesterday where it was 90 degrees. Apparently, it is the clutch switch causing the problem. FYI

Been reading this thread and just completed my complaint on the NHTSA website. Same issue as mentioned by others. Hopefully, HD will send out a recall.

Just did this, to spend money on a machine that in fact the manufacture knows there is an issue, to me is absurd. I have been around bikes as a kid and had several as an adult. I have never stalled a bike out anytime, but now thru research after the after the fact , I kind proved it yesterday with a 2014 trike. sine having this 17 m8 I have stalled it a total of 5 times 3 days after having it 4 times, once at an intersection with traffic and once two days ago. Thought it was just me, but I have tried myself, after reading research and it goes back to the dealer next Monday for an insp and the starting issue , at this point I am not very happy! and the dealer will know this! I realize the dealerships don't build these machines, but training ect and working on the same if not the same types of machines day in and out and then some dealers say they know of nothing of this is just an excuse to pass the buck. If I could I would go back to a metric, Sorry for the rant, but this just upsets me. Taking a trip later this month and at this point looks as though the 17 will stay at home and the 14 will go.:mad:

Just did this, to spend money on a machine that in fact the manufacture knows there is an issue, to me is absurd. I have been around bikes as a kid and had several as an adult. I have never stalled a bike out anytime, but now thru research after the after the fact , I kind proved it yesterday with a 2014 trike. sine having this 17 m8 I have stalled it a total of 5 times 3 days after having it 4 times, once at an intersection with traffic and once two days ago. Thought it was just me, but I have tried myself, after reading research and it goes back to the dealer next Monday for an insp and the starting issue , at this point I am not very happy! and the dealer will know this! I realize the dealerships don't build these machines, but training ect and working on the same if not the same types of machines day in and out and then some dealers say they know of nothing of this is just an excuse to pass the buck. If I could I would go back to a metric, Sorry for the rant, but this just upsets me. Taking a trip later this month and at this point looks as though the 17 will stay at home and the 14 will go.:mad:

The idle on the M8 is set at an ridiculously low 850... [As per EPA dictate and out of the dealers hands] And the cluch action is very abrupt, So if you don't get on the throttle fast enough it will stall... I solved my problem with an adjustable cluch lever......I reported it to the NHTSA, How many others have???...Enough complaints and they will look into it..[Recall maybe]

I'm curious if most M8 owners have this issue? I must be very lucky. The only thing I modified is adding a K&N air filter & an external breather of my own design.

Neither seem to have effected the idle, but they sure made it run better.

I'm curious if most M8 owners have this issue? I must be very lucky. The only thing I modified is adding a K&N air filter & an external breather of my own design.

Neither seem to have effected the idle.

I guess your one of the lucky ones so far. What upsets me as I would like to do my add ons at times ,but with issues I will not being its still under warranty. I have the option to add to the existing warranty , thinking now warranty this one it maybe a good idea.

I guess your one of the lucky ones so far. What upsets me as I would like to do my add ons at times ,but with issues I will not being its still under warranty. I have the option to add to the existing warranty , thinking now warranty this one it maybe a good idea.

I'm considering an extended warranty also, but have a little over a year to decide. If need be, I could remove my mods & return it to stock in 10 minutes.

One of the best things you can do for your engine IMO;)

Reactions: MDO
As a follow up, I just got off the phone from the nhtsa about my complaint, do not know if any others that posted issues with their 17 trike, but I explained that to me, its a safety factor and even give them the name of this site to do some research, so as with others that had some questions on a possible future recall it may help, I had told this rep that I filed a complaint when finding that others have had issues as well and found out about finding how to submitting a complaint. I really hate to complain, but this is just out of question when the manufacture knows of this and basically does nothing about it.:)

As a follow up, I just got off the phone from the nhtsa about my complaint, do not know if any others that posted issues with their 17 trike, but I explained that to me, its a safety factor and even give them the name of this site to do some research, so as with others that had some questions on a possible future recall it may help, I had told this rep that I filed a complaint when finding that others have had issues as well and found out about finding how to submitting a complaint. I really hate to complain, but this is just out of question when the manufacture knows of this and basically does nothing about it.:)

Good that makes at least two.....You And me...ThumbUp

From the touring service manual:Never install a switch from a different model( i.e.cable clutch),...features are different.And this:"A motorcycle with the wrong switchpack installed can start in gear" Oh my.Wouldnt want THAT to happen.

Good that makes at least two.....You And me...ThumbUp

After our conversation, I asked if he received any other complaints, He said no he hasn't so at this point it appears as though we are the only ones, unless other reps have filed as well. I find it really inconcievable that two of us had issues with this.:)

From the touring service manual:Never install a switch from a different model( i.e.cable clutch),...features are different.And this:"A motorcycle with the wrong switchpack installed can start in gear" Oh my.Wouldnt want THAT to happen.

I guess they mean, It could start in gear without applying the brake... With the standard switch-pack they Will start in gear as long as the brake is applied...

The problem arises if you stall it going though an intersection , Then you have to apply the brake to restart...Unless you can pop it into neutral fast enough..:Shrug:

IMO, give it enough time and miles in the rain and the clutch switch will rear its ugly head

My 15 Freewheeler went thru 2 ls switch paks, and 1 brake switch

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Markh853

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Markh853
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png