107 engine stalls ocassionally at idle

TAC

May 3, 2016
Old Town, Maine USA
I had no problem for the first 5000 miles or so but every now and then the engine will stall out during stop & go traffic or when you pull into a parking lot with the clutch pulled in & no throttle.

It might do it once on a ride but I try to keep blipping the throttle as I come to a stop to avoid the problem or it might do it more.

It normally idles at 800 rpm which is normal I presume..

The bike starts and runs great other than that issue.

Any thoughts?

I had no problem for the first 5000 miles or so but every now and then the engine will stall out during stop & go traffic or when you pull into a parking lot with the clutch pulled in & no throttle.

It might do it once on a ride but I try to keep blipping the throttle as I come to a stop to avoid the problem or it might do it more.

It normally idles at 800 rpm which is normal I presume..

The bike starts and runs great other than that issue.

Any thoughts?

As of yet Harley says their hands are tied , Something to do with the EPA...Any higher idle 850rpm's after the engine is warmed up it will emit to much emissions...:Shrug:

When the engine is cold' 9 hundred or a thousand in my mind is where it should be when warm...

Right now were back to blipping like the old days...

As of yet Harley says their hands are tied , Something to do with the EPA...Any higher idle 850rpm's after the engine is warmed up it will emit to much emissions...:Shrug:

When the engine is cold' 9 hundred or a thousand in my mind is where it should be when warm...

Right now were back to blipping like the old days...

Just to be clear....the 2017's are sold knowing full well they stall? And that is an acceptable issue? With anyone? 35K for a bike that won't stay running......6 Harleys and I am about done....and they don't give a ****...

Just to be clear....the 2017's are sold knowing full well they stall? And that is an acceptable issue? With anyone? 35K for a bike that won't stay running......6 Harleys and I am about done....and they don't give a ****...

Knowing they stall, That's debatable-----Knowing theres a problem with the low idle yes they do....

I'm sure there's an easy fix but HD got zinged by EPA last year, if memory serves, for selling kits that alter the stock tune of their machines.:Shrug:

IMO HD knows the problem

If one complains enough they will set the idle up

This comes from my local dealer

They are NOT ready to force a recall yet

Setting the idle up IMO will not cause a prblem with the EPA

Harley has done this before

It was the sneaking around with the SE tuner that got them in trouble

HD has already admitted to oil pump problems Go figure

A bump in idle could maybe fix this

I have already raised my live idle to 950 and am keeping it there;)

I have registered a complaint about the idle issue with the M8 To the NHTSA....

And have a complaint #.....I would suggest others with the idle problem do so also, It only takes 5 minutes on the computer to do it.....

My 17 was doing the same thing had it in twice for the same issue.So here is what the tech said was the problem.The clutch safety switch was giving the ECM a false reading,didnt know if the clutch was engaged or disengaged.Over a week ago they replaced the left switch cluster,and so far so good we put over 100 miles on it before we came to Daytona and we have put another 500 on it since getting here and no hick ups so far.They are on back order so there must be something to this.They had a new take off from someone who wanted back lit controls.

My 17 was doing the same thing had it in twice for the same issue.So here is what the tech said was the problem.The clutch safety switch was giving the ECM a false reading,didnt know if the clutch was engaged or disengaged.Over a week ago they replaced the left switch cluster,and so far so good we put over 100 miles on it before we came to Daytona and we have put another 500 on it since getting here and no hick ups so far.They are on back order so there must be something to this.They had a new take off from someone who wanted back lit controls.

This has already been documented by HD

You would think they would issue a recall soon IMO

Follow up

HD Dealer checked it out last week. Apparently, it is the clutch safety switch and they are on back order.

Let you know after it gets changed out. Might be next season!

This has already been documented by HD

You would think they would issue a recall soon IMO

Thats because most will complain about it on Forums and not file a complaint with the NHTSA....And if enough complaints are sent in there will be a recall...It only takes 10 minutes or so to file a complaint over the computer and get a case #...

I know i did.....

There are enough people with the same or related problems on...This and ''All'' the other Harley Forums if they all filed a complaint to wake the NHTSA UP.....

Clutch Switch

The new clutch switch came in. I left the house at 29 degrees this morning to get it installed. Wanted to do it now instead of fighting the rush to get an appointment in the Spring.

Took about half an hour. Rode it home at a positively balmy 41 degrees. No stalling nor having to blip the throttle for fear it would stall but I won't know for sure if the problem is gone till Spring or if I get a chance to go South for a couple weeks this Winter.

I'll keep you posted..

I guess I'm 1 of the lucky ones. I purchased my 2017 FW in late June & have about 4,500 miles & mine hasn't stalled once.

I have a California model & I wonder if there's any difference there?

Also, does anyone know if this is more of an issue with water cooled TG models?

I guess I'm 1 of the lucky ones. I purchased my 2017 FW in late June & have about 4,500 miles & mine hasn't stalled once.

I have a California model & I wonder if there's any difference there?

Also, does anyone know if this is more of an issue with water cooled TG models?

I think the FW has a different switch cluster because of the radio controls.

Ca models tend to have more pollution control devices thanks to CARB The switch halfs are not the same as a TriGlide

However they share a common problem with the clutch switch

It is built into the switch half module, when it goes it is quicker and easier for the tech to plug and play

Reactions: MDO
Ca models tend to have more pollution control devices thanks to CARB The switch halfs are not the same as a TriGlide

However they share a common problem with the clutch switch

It is built into the switch half module, when it goes it is quicker and easier for the tech to plug and play

I had read something when I was getting ready to install new grips & the guy stated they have a lot of trouble with the front brake switches in the housing & to be care full when changing grips.

I wonder if they are made by the same Mfg?

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Markh853

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Markh853
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png