VW motor powered trike with 90 degree output

Reaction score
Fellas....Since joining this Fine site I've been totally inspired by the ingenuity of so many people that frequent it :D

I have several Ideas that hopefully I'll find the wherewithall to apply in the coming months(If I can find enough$$;))

I have another Idea I'd like to share:How bout off the tailend of the motor...a 90Degree transfer...a shaft where the motors power output is simply going into an angle drive!! The reason for such would be to enable one to drive a 5 speed Motorcycle transmission!!!:D

A little creativity would allow for anyone with a solid fabricating background to take the VW motor and use it for a mid mounted set-up and siamese it to a relatively compact Bike trans.....of which could be had from JIREH or Midwest motorcyle supply for about 500-550$. I'm not 100% certain how I'd go about hooking up the 90Degree drive of the flywheel....but the center of the flywheel would have to be modified to accomadate a shaft....the shaft would go to a small box consisting of 2 pinion gears....the out put shaft would in turn drive the transmission via chain and the final drive chain would go to a straight axel drive set-up such as a DNA or frankenstein rear.

Wadayas think?:cool::)

Interesting. The type 2 transmission case has a bolt on bell housing. If you could mate the 90 degree box to that it would allow you to run the stock VW clutch.

The easiest conversion that most VW and motorcycle enthusiasts have done for years is to mate VW aircooled motors with BMW drivetrains. Google-search VW/BMW and it will pop up numerous websites on those conversions. I've looked at the sites for years, and have seen several, worked on one, but have never yet built one - although I've got a BMW motorcycle sitting in my shop that may or may not be considered (too many projects now).

I've not seen any other successful Vw to motorcycle tranny adaptations (that don't mean they ain't out there, though). Maybe you can be the pioneer to show us other transplant possibilities.

Interesting. The type 2 transmission case has a bolt on bell housing. If you could mate the 90 degree box to that it would allow you to run the stock VW clutch.

Yeah...thats a possibility...but the motorcycle clutches on the market today will easily hook 100-125 horsepower.
Also I'm thinking the compactness of the considerably smaller 4 or 5 speed trans would save lots of space in the drive line,be much lighter and could be shifted just like a Motorcyle(BMW?)

I wish I could post a sketch of what I'm thinking here.

Could it be set up as a belt drive ala Harley with the divorced tranny? Adapter to the VW output for the pully to mount on and a belt to connect with possibly a tensioner in there. Im not sure on rotation though. If rotation is wrong then use a jackshaft and mount tranny on other side? May sound confusing but I know what Im thinking....LOL

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Obsidian
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png