We need to talk about oil.

MDO

Oct 11, 2017
St. Louis, MO USA
I have a 2017 FW. At my 1,000 service in CA, the dealer put in HD Syn 3 & on my trip back to St. Louis it felt cooler & shifted better. At 3,750 miles, I changed to Lucas 20W-50 full synthetic high performance motorcycle oil in all 3 holes & the improvement in shifting was immediate. Also, the engine operating temperatures dropped about 20 degrees.

I am glad that I made the switch & I like having the same oil everywhere. I am using the HD 5 micron oil filter. Looking at the specs, it's 1 of the better ones out there IMO.

Here is what confuses me. I don't know if the notion of running the same fluid in all 3 holes just started with the new M8, but the correct procedure for what oil to use where varies from dealer to dealer & even at the same dealership, it depends on who you ask.

I would think that as a company with a new engine out, there would be some consensus on the best procedure, but that's not the case.

1 other oil item of note for new M8 owners. when I had the 1,000 mile service done at the dealer I purchased my FW from, the tech noted it was nearly a quart low on engine oil. He said this is very common in their brief experience with the new engines & mentioned that the MoCo had been getting the same comments. On my 2,000 trip home, the oil was down maybe 4-5 ounces, not enough to worry about, so the oil usage slows/stops after break-in, or at least mine did.

So, what are you all using in all 3 fluid holes & why. Is it cost, availability or both. Also what filter are you using. I wanted a Mobil 1 (used on my cars for years) oil filter for motorcycles, but could not find them locally & after research, stuck with the Harley 5 micron filter from the dealer. They seem to be well made.

In the area of full disclosure, my son has some connections & does work with Lucas Oil & he got them to send me 3 cases of their oil. I may not have ever tried it, due to the cost, but I'm glad I did. It's comparable to Mobil 1 V-twin oil, price wise, if you shop around.

I do not sell Lucas Oil or any other oil.

He also has K&N connections, and I'm working on getting some of their KN-171 oil filters. If I ever do, I will let you know what I think.

There have be guys using one oil in all the holes for years so it's not new news. When I had a Harley my personal choice was a different oil for each hole. But it really was a pain. It's so much easier to keep one oil on hand only. And an oil you can pick up at any auto parts house is even better. Todays oils are so much better than just 15 years ago so it almost doesn't matter which oil you use anymore. The key there is almost. Use the correct oil for your engine and you are good for the most part. Harley and their three different holes will always cause people to have very different opinions on what to use. I think Harley did make a corporate statement that Sync3 could be used in all 3 holes. So if they did then they also said any equal oil could as well. I'm just not positive if they made that statement or if it has been the dealers which would make it another opinion instead. One thing to avoid are oils with friction modifiers though for those that only have one hole. So be careful there. Your best bet is to look at the owners manual.:rftm::AllGood::wave4:

I use Sync 3 in all 3 holes, And the standard Harley oil filter, 45 k on my 11 T/G And just under 4k on my 17 T/G....With out any problems with excessive heat.. [I do know i'm sitting on top of an air cooled engine] Or shifting problems...Its not a car with a firewall and insulation between my precious parts and the engine....:Shrug:

2014 32k miles

HD Syn 3 in motor

HD Formula+ in primary

Bel-Ray 85W-140 in transmission

Recently got introduced to this company and may try them out > http://stores.buyschaefferoil.com/categories/motor-oil/schaeffer-harley-oil.html

I interviewed many Dealerships and you will NEVER find any consensus on oils. Everyone has their favorites. Every Dealer has lots of non-HD brand oils in the back to satisfy their customers oil requirements.

Bob :Dorag:

There have be guys using one oil in all the holes for years so it's not new news. When I had a Harley my personal choice was a different oil for each hole. But it really was a pain. It's so much easier to keep one oil on hand only. And an oil you can pick up at any auto parts house is even better. Todays oils are so much better than just 15 years ago so it almost doesn't matter which oil you use anymore. The key there is almost. Use the correct oil for your engine and you are good for the most part. Harley and their three different holes will always cause people to have very different opinions on what to use. I think Harley did make a corporate statement that Sync3 could be used in all 3 holes. So if they did then they also said any equal oil could as well. I'm just not positive if they made that statement or if it has been the dealers which would make it another opinion instead. One thing to avoid are oils with friction modifiers though for those that only have one hole. So be careful there. Your best bet is to look at the owners manual.:rftm::AllGood::wave4:

It's in the manual that you can use Syn3. It's actually their 1st recommendation.

2014 32k miles

HD Syn 3 in motor

HD Formula+ in primary

Bel-Ray 85W-140 in transmission

Recently got introduced to this company and may try them out > http://stores.buyschaefferoil.com/categories/motor-oil/schaeffer-harley-oil.html

I interviewed many Dealerships and you will NEVER find any consensus on oils. Everyone has their favorites. Every Dealer has lots of non-HD brand oils in the back to satisfy their customers oil requirements.

Bob :Dorag:

I looked at the Schaeffer Oil website you linked to & I personally have never heard of them & I tried to find a data sheet on their website & couldn't.

I read a lot & the thing that I picked up on in reading independent oil comparisons is that specific motorcycle oil has a much higher zinc content(ZPD) that regular car motor oils.

An example of this is Mobil 1 full synthetic oil (15w50) compared to Mobil 1 V-twin (20w50) motorcycle specific oil. Both these oils are very good at what they are intended for.The motorcycle specific oil has nearly double the Zinc that the car oil does.

Reading on motorcycle forums, many bikers use the Mobil 1 oil because its a good oil & you can get a 5 quart jug at Walmart for $23

Zinc is added to the oil to decrease wear. This is most likely due to the fact that many motorcycle engines can run at double the RPM that a normal car engine runs at.

Oil is like a religion to alot of folks

I have always run dino oil til now

http://www.quicksilver-products.com/street/motorcycle/engine-oils/full-synthetic-motorcycle-oil/

I am running this oil with good results

I run Lucas gaer oil in the tranny

Formula + in the primary\An HD filter up front

I cannot find any filter supplier to go on record stating their filters are 5 microns

I have always run HD dino oil in ALL my other bikes

Seems this Quicksilver oil tests as good as Mobil1 HMMMMM

Get it @ Walmart for 6bucks a quart

http://www.quicksilver-products.com/street/motorcycle/engine-oils/full-synthetic-motorcycle-oil/

I cannot find any filter supplier to go on record stating their filters are 5 microns

Get it @ Walmart for 6bucks a quart

Thanks Jack. That's good to know info on the Quicksilver oil in case I loose my Lucas Oil connection.

On the 5 micron filters, the HD is the only 1 I know of & they say it on the box. I read who makes them for HD, but can't remember.

If it is as good as Mobil 1, why would pay more for it ??

Mobil 1 = 5 qt's for $23.00

Quicksilver = 5 qt's cost $30.00

Thanks Jack. That's good to know info on the Quicksilver oil in case I use my Lucas Oil connection.

On the 5 micron filters, the HD is the only 1 I know of & they say it on the box. I read who makes them for HD, but can't remember.

Champion Labs had the last contract for the filters that I remember

They are big in the filter bussiness making lots of other filters also;)

Did I say how much I hate oil threads?

I do

Like I said before Oil is like a religion

Go with what makes you feel comfortable

Most modern day oils ( synthetics) are manufactured in labs

They are made to a high standard with chemical altered additive packages

Some better some cheaper

It is your ride You decide how much you will pay

The only thing I stick with OEM is a HD filter

I have yet to find any filter that can measure down ( according to HD) 5 microns

If it is as good as Mobil 1, why would pay more for it ??

Mobil 1 = 5 qt's for $23.00

Quicksilver = 5 qt's cost $30.00

You need to remember you are comparing a Mobil 1 car oil to a Quicksilver motorcycle specific oil.

Did I say how much I hate oil threads?

I do

Like I said before Oil is like a religion

Go with what makes you feel comfortable

Most modern day oils ( synthetics) are manufactured in labs

They are made to a high standard with chemical altered additive packages

Some better some cheaper

It is your ride You decide how much you will pay

The only thing I stick with OEM is a HD filter

I have yet to find any filter that can measure down ( according to HD) 5 microns

Don't like oil threads! It was you who told me to start this.

Don't like oil threads! It was you who told me to start this.

OOPS, I dared you:p

I think Tynker was talking about Mobil1 motorcycle oil

It is a good oil

I just dont like it

Too many TC owners have some top end noise with this oil, my brother included

Any modern day full synthetic is OKIMO

I chose Quicksilver

I have seen a Blackstone Lab test on it and it faired good

After the test the zinc and other GOOD additives held up as good as Mobil 1

Not bad IMO

OOPS, I dared you:p

I think Tynker was talking about Mobil1 motorcycle oil

It is a good oil

I just dont like it

Too many TC owners have some top end noise with this oil, my brother included

Any modern day full synthetic is OKIMO

I chose Quicksilver

I have seen a Blackstone Lab test on it and it faired good

After the test the zinc and other GOOD additives held up as good as Mobil 1

Not bad IMO

I may give Quicksilver a try. When I get down to my last 4 quarts of Lucas, I may keep them for the transmission & primary & put Quicksilver in the motor. I'm kind of strange in that I plan things out, like what battery I will get for a replacement & what tire I will get, then when the time comes, I just look at my list & I don't have to shop & compare.

I may give Quicksilver a try. When I get down to my last 4 quarts of Lucas, I may keep them for the transmission & primary & put Quicksilver in the motor. I'm kind of strange in that I plan things out, like what battery I will get for a replacement & what tire I will get, then when the time comes, I just look at my list & I don't have to shop & compare.

Planning ahead, I like that;)

Have you tried gear oil in your tranny? If not you should try it

In almost every HD gear box I have had it makes for better shifting

More cushion for the gears and bearings

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Semiringeye

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Semiringeye
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png