brake problem !800 trike champion kit

Reaction score
Help I am Have a problem with my rear brakes they just feel like they are not stoping the bike like they should. I no that when they put the kit on that they take the link brakeing so the front work of the front hand grip and the rear work off the foot peddle. but it just dose not stop like it should. have bleed the system. have the recall master cylender done. seems like it got worse after they changed the master. but have bleed after that, still the same. Any help would be Appreciated. Halftrack

Help I am Have a problem with my rear brakes they just feel like they are not stoping the bike like they should. I no that when they put the kit on that they take the link brakeing so the front work of the front hand grip and the rear work off the foot peddle. but it just dose not stop like it should. have bleed the system. have the recall master cylender done. seems like it got worse after they changed the master. but have bleed after that, still the same. Any help would be Appreciated. Halftrack

What trike kit do you have ???

I too ride a Goldwing 1800 with a Champion trike conversion. When I first made the conversion I also was concerned that the braking did not seem as responsive as I thought it should. I took it back to the dealer and had it checked out.....all appeared to be OK. After getting used to the trike I no longer felt the brakes were and issue. I have put over 12,000 miles on the trike and have not run into any problems with the conversion. Loving the Trike.

I am in Foresthill, Ca., not far from Grass Valley, maybe we will be able to take a ride sometime in the future. :0) Take Care.

Roy

I bled my rears (2008 gl1800 w/Champion kit) a full pint of fluid. half each side. This effectively replaced all the fluid. The was a little emulsification from water in the old fluid. Brakes are much more solid now. Might try a complete flushing.

My brakes on my Goldwing with the Champion kit aren't that good. The front brakes are disconnected like others. But when I stop, I always use my front brakes with my back brakes, it stops good then. I think I will try the EBC pads that were mentioned.

Hi I have a champion trike kit.

My brakes on my Goldwing with the Champion kit aren't that good. The front brakes are disconnected like others. But when I stop, I always use my front brakes with my back brakes, it stops good then. I think I will try the EBC pads that were mentioned.

Here the problem some trike manufactures have with their kits. Both master cylinders can only push a limited volume of fluid. For example, Honda designs the front brake m/c to push on 3 front caliper pistons (the middle piston on the LF caliper, and the upper and lower on the right one). When the front and rear brakes are separated and no longer linked, usually the front master cylinder has to provide brake pressure and fluid volume to 4 front pistons (both upper and lower on the front calipers). The reality is that it's only designed to push fluid for 3 pistons and not 4.

Therefore, the rider has to pull further on the front brake lever to push more volume of fluid to engage the pads. The same can be true for the rear. Most manufactures use aftermarket calipers with larger pistons. However, Honda's rear brake m/c seems to push enough volume to provide adequate braking when using the rear peddle. In the case of Champion, they are able to do it well because the rear brake m/c starts off by pushing the volume of 1 less front piston.

Another thing to remember is that a trike is 400-500 lbs heavier, and more brake effort is always required to stop something that is heavier.

If the brakes have been inspected and are working as designed, the best thing to do is use front and rear brakes when stopping the trike.

Another thing to remember is that a trike is 400-500 lbs heavier, and more brake effort is always required to stop something that is heavier.

If the brakes have been inspected and are working as designed, the best thing to do is use front and rear brakes when stopping the trike.

+1, the extra weight is huge, especially when your load up your new huge trunk !!!

Both master cylinders can only push a limited volume of fluid.

Educate me please. The brake system has no air in it and fluid does not compress so there is actually no movement of oil, or "volume" of oil being moved as I see it. Only pressure being applied. Kinda like pushing on one end of a pencil and the whole thing moves. What am I missing?

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wheeza
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png