Antenna base corrosion

Reaction score
I removed (unscrewed) both antennas and discovered the FM base threads were clean where they were covered by the antenna, but rusty where exposed to the elements (I presume). The CB base threads were however, corroded, not rusted, from top to bottom. I realize the corrosion is not good, a non conductor, but I wonder why the antenna did not protect the base like the FM antenna did. Anyone have an idea/answer? Also, would non conductive lubricant grease protect the connection? And how about cleaning the antenna and base threads?

I removed (unscrewed) both antennas and discovered the FM base threads were clean where they were covered by the antenna, but rusty where exposed to the elements (I presume). The CB base threads were however, corroded, not rusted, from top to bottom. I realize the corrosion is not good, a non conductor, but I wonder why the antenna did not protect the base like the FM antenna did. Anyone have an idea/answer? Also, would non conductive lubricant grease protect the connection? And how about cleaning the antenna and base threads?

A wire brush would clean the antenna. Not sure hot to clean little hole. Grease would help keep it from happening again, Don't worry about conductive or not at the frequencies they work on.

Use a dab of Die- Electric grease on the threads and screw on, good to go. Do both :D

Use the grease on butt connectors also.

A wire brush would clean the antenna. Not sure hot to clean little hole. Grease would help keep it from happening again, Don't worry about conductive or not at the frequencies they work on.
Thanks Vito. Wire brush sounds good. Are you implying that I don't have to clean off the corrosion? I would think there needs to be an electrical metal to metal connection between the base and antenna in order for the antenna to be the 'extension' of the wiring.

Use a dab of Die- Electric grease on the threads and screw on, good to go. Do both :D

Use the grease on butt connectors also.

I couldnt think of dielectric. Thanks 1dn. Are you saying the grease will cut through the corrosion?

Thanks Vito. Wire brush sounds good. Are you implying that I don't have to clean off the corrosion? I would think there needs to be an electrical metal to metal connection between the base and antenna in order for the antenna to be the 'extension' of the wiring.

Metal to metal is best but if insulated by a very thin layer of grease it forms a capacitor that has very little impedance at FM or even CB frequencies - probably not enough to matter. Generally, the first/last thing you'll find inside your radio is a capacitor that's there to protect the rest of the circuits from external voltages.

Metal to metal is best but if insulated by a very thin layer of grease it forms a capacitor that has very little impedance at FM or even CB frequencies - probably not enough to matter. Generally, the first/last thing you'll find inside your radio is a capacitor that's there to protect the rest of the circuits from external voltages.

And this is why I wanted to ask on this forum! Thanks vito.

So true. stuff is great.

dielectric grease is an insulator that has a place but that place is not between two conductors that are supposed to pass current. It is good for keeping moisture out of connectors. So is Vaseline.

:(

If you want to clean internal threads, a small bore gun brush works quite well.

There ya go. I knew I'd seen a brush that would be perfect for cleaning those threads. Right there in my gun cleaning kit. DUH!!! :facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::gah::gah::gah:

dielectric grease is an insulator that has a place but that place is not between two conductors that are supposed to pass current. It is good for keeping moisture out of connectors. So is Vaseline.

I agree. I hate the stuff. A friend who is a heavy equipment mechanic with Caterpillar told me they were instructed to NOT use dielectric grease. After a while it dries out, gets hard and sticky and is just a general mess. Keep it clean and dry and you'll be OK.

Not sure who told you that. There is a reason it is on the base of every damn bulb Harley installs at York. Dielectric grease is used on spark plug terminals, and many other electrical applications because it does not inhibit current flow. Google it !

Is Vaseline a good conductor of electricity?

"Petroleum jelly is not a conductor - though it might have very slight conductivity, even air does. It is not a good thing to put on electronics as some wire insulation deteriorates in the presence of grease and oil. It is also messy and I'd expect that if there are high temps present it may melt and leak." ​ Direct quote from a google search.

Not sure who told you that. There is a reason it is on the base of every damn bulb Harley installs at York. Dielectric grease is used on spark plug terminals, and many other electrical applications because it does not inhibit current flow. Google it !

We used to use it inside high voltage coaxial RF connectors because other greases would short the inner conductor to the outer. Use is also recommended to prevent 'fretting' where there is vibration. Maker describe it as "electrically neutral" whatever that means. I use it on handlebar switch assemblies of older HDs to keep rain from shorting switches.

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Glockjock
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png