Charging question

Reaction score
Since I completed my trike last June I have noticed that the lights flicker at higher rpm's. I do have a alternator so I did not think I needed a voltage regulator. I have a head light, tail lights, turn signals and 2 55w driving lights. Is my alternator going bad?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

Do they flicker brighter or dimmer ? If dimmer,ck your grounds. If brighter you might need a regulator unless it’s built into the alternator like GM has. If you have a volt meter, check the reading when it happens.

Like Bob said , you DO need a regulator or smoke will appear !

Try That :Shrug:

got to agree with the others.....if lights get brighter than normal, sounds like a bad regulator. voltage should hold around 13.5 to 14.5 and hold steady at cruise rpm. Auto parts stores should be able to check this out if you bring the alternator in to them. good luck

15 volts is getting on the high end

This depends on battery draw and how the state of charge on the battery is

Charge your battery over night first

check it with a volt meter the next day

If u have at least 12.7 volts, turn your lights on with the meter on the battery

count to ten

If the battery holds at least 10 or above u can pretty much rule out the battery

Next will be to find out what kind of alternator u have

Many have integral regulators

Many of these are cheap and easy to replace

Once you verify this and check back in some one can walk u thru this

Is this an older VW with a generator?

If so it will have a seperate regulator

You will also need to flash the fields on the generator ( polarise) each time you break a connection between the gen and the battery

got to agree with the others.....if lights get brighter than normal, sounds like a bad regulator. voltage should hold around 13.5 to 14.5 and hold steady at cruise rpm. Auto parts stores should be able to check this out if you bring the alternator in to them. good luck

First off I do Have an alternator and I believe it does have an internal regulator. it was on the trike and working fine (no flickering) when my Dad originally built it.

Now the battery voltage is 13.5 V disconnected. Battery voltage holds at 11.8 with all lights on without the engine running. I am pretty sure it is time to replace the regulator.

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
J.Hammers
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png