Trailer Hitch

Reaction score
I found this site that sells the Trailer Hitch for the Tri Glide Models, Not cheap but the only I came across so far, I will be adding one to my trike later on after I get it.

www.rivco.com

bushtec and another company I cant remember sells them also.
They are selling on ebay also.

I went with MCHITCH
was the least expensive one. Easy to install or remove. Four bolts and on or off. I did change the tamper
Proof Torx bolts with grade 8 hex bolts for ease

I think the hardest part is running the wire harness and making sure it matches the wire harness on your trailer. Just make sure that you plug in the connector before the converter not after or you will have the trailer lights acting like they were wired wrong.

Good Luck on whichever hitch you buy. They are all good to use.

I'm new in the Harley world, been on goldwings for years and there is not an issue for trailers hitches with those. So what are the rules or issues with putting on a hitch on my 2011 tri-glide? I have pulled trailers for years behind 2 wheeled, and trikes. I do know Harley does not and says not to put a hitch on, but the two dealers I have dealt with says it is alright so which is correct?:confused::confused:

I'm new in the Harley world, been on goldwings for years and there is not an issue for trailers hitches with those. So what are the rules or issues with putting on a hitch on my 2011 tri-glide? I have pulled trailers for years behind 2 wheeled, and trikes. I do know Harley does not and says not to put a hitch on, but the two dealers I have dealt with says it is alright so which is correct?:confused::confused:

Mu dealer says no way. It all depends on who you talk to. Call HD Customer Service and ask them.Their # is 414-343-4056

I wonder what MOCO is afraid of. I have pulled one with practically the same trike for thousands of miles.

I bet the main reason is they have not designed one for sale as an "accessory" yet. As soon as their engineering staff comes up with one that runs too hot, rattles, leaks or falls off....they will have a TG hitch available for around $750-$1,000.

I feel it's a liability issue...HD says no way, something goes wrong, someone wants to sue because of an accident etc...Harley can say " we told no and you did it anyway"
removes them from any liability.....
Now I've also heard dealers will flag your bike for a trailer hitch as it pertains to warranty..take your chances. That's way I installed the easy to remove bolts. I can take it all off in about fifteen minutes....

I have some plans that I have been passing around to folks so they can build their own for usually less than $50-$75 and it's pretty-much the same configuration as the commercial ones that sell for a lot more. All you need is a section of receiver tube and the rest of the material can be had at the local hardware store or sheet-metal shop. I will be happy to send them to anyone that is handy with tools. PM me if you want to consider it.

A TG 11 owner contacted me concerning a hitch. Between us, we determined the bolt spacing and frame cross members were a bit different than the stock Lehman kits. I don't remember about the 09 and 10 models, but I worked him up a detail on how I would build one. The frame cross members already have holes drilled. Since there has been so much rhubarb concerning the TG trailer pulling vs. warranty issues...I guess the MOCO must have drilled those holes in there to save weight or something (LOL).

Anyway....if anyone wants the plan I will share it if you PM me. You can build your own for much less than $200-$300 if you don't mind investing a little elbow-grease. You can simply bolt it on/off at your leisure and it will pull an 18-wheeler out of a ditch if you can get the traction, or not pull your trike into. Requires very little welding and you can have what little welding, or brazing there is to be done outsourced....or have that buddy with the welder do it for you.

A TG 11 owner contacted me concerning a hitch. Between us, we determined the bolt spacing and frame cross members were a bit different than the stock Lehman kits. I don't remember about the 09 and 10 models, but I worked him up a detail on how I would build one. The frame cross members already have holes drilled. Since there has been so much rhubarb concerning the TG trailer pulling vs. warranty issues...I guess the MOCO must have drilled those holes in there to save weight or something (LOL).

Anyway....if anyone wants the plan I will share it if you PM me. You can build your own for much less than $200-$300 if you don't mind investing a little elbow-grease. You can simply bolt it on/off at your leisure and it will pull an 18-wheeler out of a ditch if you can get the traction, or not pull your trike into. Requires very little welding and you can have what little welding, or brazing there is to be done outsourced....or have that buddy with the welder do it for you.
I would like the plans for the hitch, I'm planning to build one that is just to hold a cooler rack.

ge...PM me with an e-mail address and I will send you some poop. I use mine to pull a trailer and I do have a small cooler rack that I use sometimes for the short trips. All the stupid things are is a plate that bolts on the frame cross-members with a section on 1 1/4-inch receiver tube attached. Since I came up with this, many more commercial models are available at a pretty good price, but if you are handy with tools and want to save a few $....you can build your own. I sent them to one rider and she carried the plans down to a friend of hers at a machine shop and he built her one for $40.

Discussed untold times on many forums.
Pertaining to HD's, if you look in a HD accessory catalog you will find a statement similar to this wording:
Using non-HD accessories or non-street legal HD accessories, not installed by a HD tech in an authorized HD facility will void the warranty.
Is that enforced all the time? No!
With that-why would HD dealers offer non-HD accessories and install them? Cause they can, I guess!

I am sure that Harley will eventually introduce a MOCO hitch that bolts right in those 4-holes already in the frame.....which are there to mount a hitch. It won't exactly fit, may leak, will have parts that require frequent replacement, run hot and cost around $750.00 plus installation. They will also offer some sort of chrome cover for an additional $250.00.

I am sure that Harley will eventually introduce a MOCO hitch that bolts right in those 4-holes already in the frame.....which are there to mount a hitch. It won't exactly fit, may leak, will have parts that require frequent replacement, run hot and cost around $750.00 plus installation. They will also offer some sort of chrome cover for an additional $250.00.

Yep...and installation must be by your authorized dealer or your warranty is void.

You'll also have to buy the $79.95 special ball mount to slide into the Harley 1.75" receiver. Of course there will be the Chrome version with laser engraved bar and shield for $125.95.
images

Maybe we need to quit giving them any ideas, although I would not be a bit surprised to see them make the receiver tube some octagonal shape. The world standard Class I or II square tubing receiver standards just won't do.

Any suggestion on how to get the "High Security" torx bolts loose. Already broke mt T40, tried to chisel and file then vise grips. no luck yet.

Any suggestion on how to get the "High Security" torx bolts loose. Already broke mt T40, tried to chisel and file then vise grips. no luck yet.

Starting to look like Lehman must have left something else loose on my Triglide because mine came right out with no effort at all, my dad and I both had misc loose fasteners on the Lehman installed back half. When I say no effort at all I mean they were not much more than hand tight. You might try filing some flats on them and using a wrench after you have heated them a little with a heat gun. I'm assuming the T40 bit was of good quality such as Snap-On.

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Obsidian
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png