Freewheeler Tach

Jan 17, 2017
Vail, AZ USA
Hi. I’m new to the forum and this is my first post. I’ve been riding motorcycles since I was 15. I currently own a Freewheeler. This is my first trike and I’m loving it.

I found the forum while I was looking for information about installing a tach on the Freewheeler. I found the post about replacing the entire speedometer with the one with the built in tach. I thought aboutdoing this but decided I didn’t want to take my eyes off the road that much and, to be honest, I’m used to looking at instruments on the handle bars and it’s hard to teach an old dog new tricks.

I thought I would share the results of my R & D in the hopes of saving others some time.

I found a lot of tach’s for under $100 but most of the reviews complained about the needle jumping a lot. So I decided to get a 2 5/8” Auto Meter tach from their Pro Cycle series (model 19324).

I installed the tach and fired up the bike. The needle was jumping (at idle) from a low that looked like the actual RPM’s to a high some 2000 RPM’s higher. I shut her down and got on the phone with an Auto Meter tech. That’s when I learned about HD’s ion sensing ignition. After much conversation with the tech he told me about the MSD GMR tach pickup (model 8918). If you are not familiar with MSD they have been making ignition products for hot rods and race vehicles for years. The GMR pickup works like a clamp on amp meter except it is very small. About 1” x ½” x ¼”. It installs around (you don’t cut the wire) the +12 volt ignition wire (red/green). The pickup needs switched 12 volt power and it has a green trigger wire that attached to the two green wires from thetach. It required no change to the tach’s default setting.

I fired it up and the tach works great. There is slight needle movement at idle but I think it is actually keeping up with the engine faster than the LCD display can display. While moving the tach is rock solid.

Attachments

• MVC-003S.JPG
    MVC-003S.JPG
    40.8 KB · Views: 202
  • MVC-005S.JPG
    MVC-005S.JPG
    36.8 KB · Views: 203
Welcome from Missouri!:Santa:

I'm glad you got your tac working, but I'm curious, what's wrong with the LCD tac built in to the gear indicator display. I usually leave it on there when moving.

Welcome to Trike Talk

I know the factory tach is not the best

I like it better than an analog tho you have a good one picked;)

I found the tach read out on the Power Vision is way more acurate tho it shuffles thru the RPM pretty darn fast

Welcome from Missouri!:Santa:

I'm glad you got your tac working, but I'm curious, what's wrong with the LCD tac built in to the gear indicator display. I usually leave it on there when moving.

The LCD tach is nice but I don't like looking away from traffic ahead when I'm in heavy traffic. I also find it can be more affected by sun light glare.

Welcome to Trike Talk

I know the factory tach is not the best

I like it better than an analog tho you have a good one picked;)

I found the tach read out on the Power Vision is way more acurate tho it shuffles thru the RPM pretty darn fast

Man I wish I was aware of the Power Vision before I bought the Auto Meter. I only found cheap digitals when I was shopping. Looks like a very nice set up.

I like your Freewheeler. Mine is silver also.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Semiringeye

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Semiringeye
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png