• It appears that you have unread Personal Messages - Please check your inbox!

Trailering my Trike

Reaction score
I’m getting where I can’t make the long rides but there are some rides I want to make that are a lomg way from home, plus I want to take the wife and dog with me so I’m going to look at a Haulmark 6’6” X 12’ aluminum flatbed tomorrow, is that the size I need? Now, I was wondering about tiedowns, any suggestions? The reason I’m going with a flatbed is I occasionally need a trailer to pick up a yard of top soil, plus it wom’t be used much and can’t justify the extea espense for an enclosed trailer.

The trailer size seems more than adequate to me. Invest in the best ratcheting straps to hold the trike down. We, too, are moving that direction. Just can't do the iron butt rides anymore. My last one will probably be to Rolling Thunder this year and that's only because I'll be travelling alone and intend to camp along the way there and back.

That size will be more than enough.

I suggest getting one with a wood floor. Makes it allot easier to attach chocks and tie downs where you want them.

If the trailer does not have a dove tail rear end, then you may have a problem dragging the bottom when trying to load. Usually, trailer mfg use a 4' gate w/o dove tail and 3' with dovetail.

If you don't have a tailgate but rather ramps, still be careful before you buy the trailer that you can load it safely.

Check out the Aluma TK3 trailer. It is a trike-specific open trailer. We have one and no problems with loading/unloading.

I just went to the Aluma site and could not find a TK3, only TK1 which is too small. Thank you all for the responses.

OK I was wrong the TK1 will work, there is a dealer 15 miles from me who has one in stock, almost $300 cheaper than the Haulmark, no brainer, I will check out the Aluma tomorrow.

I have the Aluma 7712-H, I use it for my Tri-Glide, and or my Rhino...It has a full width tall ramp/tailgate...Before i had that one i had a wood deck trailer, And it was just too heavy for me to move it around my driveway which slopes down hill by myself...

With the Aluma i have no problems ..

I just went to the Aluma site and could not find a TK3, only TK1 which is too small. Thank you all for the responses.

Apologies on the number...brain fog. Glad you were able to find it ok. Have fun shopping.

We have hauled 2 different trikes on this trailer with NO problems of loading or unloading. One is a GL1800 MotorTrike with IRS and the other was a GL1800 Lehman Monarch II with a solid axle. I don’t know if other trike kits would have problems with loading/unloading or not.

Trailer

I don't have a Roadsmith, I have a Voyager kit on my 96 Goldwing SE. I recently purchased a Aluma BT7210. 72" wide 10' long works great for my setup. It does have a bifold tailgate which is longer than the non bifold. I only have about 3" of ground clearance and the bike does not high center when loading. As long as the trailer is setup correctly to the tow vehicle, a little high in the front, that helps lessen the angle. The trailer is close to level once loaded. I love the aluminum trailer.

I went out this morning and bought the Aluma TK1, very nice trailer. They have not secured the front wheel chock to the floor, I have to load up the trike and figure where to mount it for proper hitch loading, any suggestions best way to do this. I'm going to enjoy this trailer, many places I still want to ride but don't have the stamina to ride the trike to get there. The first place I'm heading is the Talimena in Southeast Oklahoma.

MC Trailer.jpg

I went out this morning and bought the Aluma TK1, very nice trailer. They have not secured the front wheel chock to the floor, I have to load up the trike and figure where to mount it for proper hitch loading, any suggestions best way to do this. I'm going to enjoy this trailer, many places I still want to ride but don't have the stamina to ride the trike to get there. The first place I'm heading is the Talimena in Southeast Oklahoma.

Here is a very good link to various ways for measuring the hitch weight. General rule of thumb is that the hitch should carry 10 to 12.5 percent of the loaded trailer weight. I have used the bathroom scale version for years and it works very well. A bit of a pain in the butt to set up. On the up side I can do it right in my back yard. Hope this helps you. :xszpv: :xszpv:

https://www.etrailer.com/faq-how-to-determine-trailer-tongue-weight.aspx

The easiest way is a truck scale; public or private. Have the truck weighed with the trailer being sure to get the rear axle weight. Then take the truck with trailer and trike to the scale with the trike tied down approximately where you think it will need to be. Weigh and then move trike fore or aft to achieve desired results.

Personally, if that's a half ton truck I wouldn't worry too much about it. Trike and trailer are way below maximum truck is capable of pulling. You're fairly limited on where the trike can sit. Load it up and go.

Or, estimate the gross weight of the trike and trailer and have couple of your buddies who would weigh about 10% of the total weight, and measure how far the truck sags. Then adjust trike on trailer to achieve roughly same result.

If you can't find enough buds let me know and I'll give my ex wife a call fer ya. She will weigh about 15% of whatever you're hauling.

Trailer

Myself, like I did mine, I put the bike as far forward as I could get it. Mine didn't come with the chock I bought it. I was going to buy the TK1 but once I took measurements the ramp was not really wide enough for my set up. The Voyager kit is 60" wide. Enjoy your new trailer!

Thank y’all for the great information, it is supposed to warm up a bit this weekend, just for grins I think I will load ip the trike and do the bathroom scale method. I’m ready for spring.

GL1800 RS Trike Trailer Question

Thank y’all for the great information, it is supposed to warm up a bit this weekend, just for grins I think I will load ip the trike and do the bathroom scale method. I’m ready for spring.

Good evening All,

Hope that everyone had a joyous and SAFE New Year celebration.

I do have a follow on question; currently have an open 5'X10' Utility, obviously not wide enough for our RS Trike. Was considering a 6'X10' but not sure the 10' is long or adequate enough for the 121" overall length of the RS Trike. Was hoping that someone can provide some guidance on the 10' -vs- a 12' long trailer? THX much!

Hutch

Good evening All,

Hope that everyone had a joyous and SAFE New Year celebration.

I do have a follow on question; currently have an open 5'X10' Utility, obviously not wide enough for our RS Trike. Was considering a 6'X10' but not sure the 10' is long or adequate enough for the 121" overall length of the RS Trike. Was hoping that someone can provide some guidance on the 10' -vs- a 12' long trailer? THX much!

Hutch

If your going to get a trailer.....Get the 6 or 6 1/2 by 12...

The extra 2 feet makes a world of difference ... When ATC's first came out i got a trailer that it just fit in....Then i got a ATV i had to get a larger one.....Then i got a Rhino , Yep another trailer i should have bought the 12 by 6 1/2 in the first place..:(

My point is buy more then you need, ThumbUp

I'd go with the 12' trailer for sure. Having room to move the trike for hitch weight adjusting is important and it also gives you some options for carrying a few extras on a trip. Trailer width is a personal thing. There is "Just Enough" and then there is "Enough" to get around with the trike in place. I chose a wide body (93") 12' Wells Cargo V-nose with the 85" door simply because I didn't want to worry about loading issues. :xszpv::xszpv:

This little trailer weighs 525# empty, with my trike loaded it will be combined weight of around 1665#, should tow pretty easy behind my F150.

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Glockjock
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png