Pellet Smokers Thread

That's the truth, y'a know...everyone's tase is different in what's called "good" Bbq.

Just have to get your map out and cross them bad ones off as you go along. You won't know until you try it, sometimes you can't even trust the online reviews to be accurate :Shrug:

I never trust those. We have a couple that check out every single one and I go to the ones they go to a second time or more. Saves me money and time that way and I trust them.

I have a friend that has a Traeger. He cooks something every week and I have been the beneficiary of several meals. I will say I have never gotten a bad meal from him. I enjoyed everyone but I don’t think it taste as good as authentic pit smoked barbecue. I know he started off only using Traeger pellets. I don’t know if that’s still the case or not. I’m sure pellet brands make a difference.

First time on Traeger

I usually do all my cooking on my Okie Joe and can turn out some nice brisket. Yesterday I cooked for the Grill Days at the local Ace Hardware. It was a small store and only wanted hot dogs on a Traeger. I don't know much about pellet grills, so I goggled them. I wanted to at least know how to start it. The grill had been sitting outside and the pellets must have gotten wet. By the time I figured that out, it was too late to clean it out. It was 65º and sunny. It took a long time to ignite and never came up to temperature. Set it for 350º and it never got up to 200º. It took 45 minutes to do hot dogs. I had a hard time telling when they were done. They never changed color. They were very good considering they were cheap dogs. They were more like smoked and never plumped when cooked.

Needless to say, I wasn't impressed.

I don't think you got a good chance for first timer. If the pellets were damp as you suspect, charcoal in the same condition would work but then you got that fuel taste. From what I've read, most people rave about pellet grills. Even you state the dogs were good. Just not what you thought they should look like. I'd give it a second chance myself.

I usually do all my cooking on my Okie Joe and can turn out some nice brisket. Yesterday I cooked for the Grill Days at the local Ace Hardware. It was a small store and only wanted hot dogs on a Traeger. I don't know much about pellet grills, so I goggled them. I wanted to at least know how to start it. The grill had been sitting outside and the pellets must have gotten wet. By the time I figured that out, it was too late to clean it out. It was 65º and sunny. It took a long time to ignite and never came up to temperature. Set it for 350º and it never got up to 200º. It took 45 minutes to do hot dogs. I had a hard time telling when they were done. They never changed color. They were very good considering they were cheap dogs. They were more like smoked and never plumped when cooked.

Needless to say, I wasn't impressed.

Pellet Smokers aree best for low and slow cooking ... sounds like since the pellets got moist, they just smoldered.

Pit Boss smokers ROCK!

I have the Pit Boss 1100 Deluxe and it rocks at half the cost of a comparable Traeger or RecTek. It will hold temp to within 5° of whatever it's set for, has dual temp probes, and can smoke 3-4 Briskets, plus sausages, chickens, and pork tenders all at once. It will 8 or so pork butts at once. The only thing I've managed to ruin and it was total user error was some cheese and shrimp stuffed Jalapenos wrapped in bacon....wasn't paying attention and burned the hell out of them...still ate a few, and they burned the hell out of me the next morning!

:AllGood:

I have the Pit Boss 1100 Deluxe and it rocks at half the cost of a comparable Traeger or RecTek. It will hold temp to within 5° of whatever it's set for, has dual temp probes, and can smoke 3-4 Briskets, plus sausages, chickens, and pork tenders all at once. It will 8 or so pork butts at once. The only thing I've managed to ruin and it was total user error was some cheese and shrimp stuffed Jalapenos wrapped in bacon....wasn't paying attention and burned the hell out of them...still ate a few, and they burned the hell out of me the next morning!

:AllGood:

Mine is a smoke pro ... Looks like the small Traeger ... I'm guessing it was made for Walley World by Traeger. Mom found it on sale for $199 and called ... I jumped on it. It does a really good job.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Searcher

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Searcher
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png