Champion Trike Kit Rearend

RUMRUNR

100+ Posts
Reaction score
Hi again folks, been absent for a while but I have a question for you.

I have a Champion solid axle kit on my GL 1800, what rearend was used in 2007.

I have a slight leak at the drain plug and it would help to know what rearend was used so I could see if there was a washer on it or not. The plug is tight but still a slight leak. Down the road it would be nice to know what was used when it comes to calipers and brake pads.

I sent Champion and email tonight but thought I would ask here.

Hi again folks, been absent for a while but I have a question for you.

I have a Champion solid axle kit on my GL 1800, what rearend was used in 2007.

I have a slight leak at the drain plug and it would help to know what rearend was used so I could see if there was a washer on it or not. The plug is tight but still a slight leak. Down the road it would be nice to know what was used when it comes to calipers and brake pads.

I sent Champion and email tonight but thought I would ask here.

They used a Toyota and a Suzuki rear axle with mods. I would remove the plug and re-seal it while changing the gear oil. Neither is interchangeable. The brakes are old VW Type 1 calipers and pads. If you keep your brake fluid changed you won't have caliper issues. I would get a set of pads just to keep in case.........

They used a Toyota and a Suzuki rear axle with mods. I would remove the plug and re-seal it while changing the gear oil. Neither is interchangeable. The brakes are old VW Type 1 calipers and pads. If you keep your brake fluid changed you won't have caliper issues. I would get a set of pads just to keep in case.........

Thanks for the info Jim.

After emails to Champion they confirmed it is a Suzuki rear axle by how the driveshaft bolts to the pinion flange.

I just have not found out year and model yet.

You talked about the calipers and pads being old VW Type 1, can you tell me what year and model. When you talk about VW's that is another language to me, I am an American Muscle car guy, ask me the firing order of a 60's Chevy V8 I can tell you that, 18436572.:cool:

Thanks for the info Jim.

After emails to Champion they confirmed it is a Suzuki rear axle by how the driveshaft bolts to the pinion flange.

You talked about the calipers and pads being old VW Type 1, can you tell me what year and model. When you talk about VW's that is another language to me, I am an American Muscle car guy, ask me the firing order of a 60's Chevy V8 I can tell you that, 18436572.:cool:

Late 60's Karmann Ghia or Squareback

S002236.jpgS002235.jpg

http://mjtrikes.com/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=89_92&products_id=318

http://mjtrikes.com/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=89_90&products_id=321

Further parts

Thanks for the help Jim.

Glad to know what the parts are, handy info to have.

Have you found any further parts source? I have leaky seals and my local dealer tells me that Champion is going out of business. I need a source.

Thanks for the info Jim.

Someone say VW? :D

The previous links to the caliper and pads were a bit pricey IMO, here is the loaded caliper for ~$50. We VW people are not rich. ;)

https://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=C13-98-1150-B

If you prefer not to go Chinese, Vargas/TRW from Brazil - $116 each, however. (Still less than $160...)

https://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=VWC-311-615-107-8A

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Obsidian
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png