Should I buy more Warranty?

Jack, The big issue as I now see it is what happens should there be an issue on a long trip ? Sure, your local selling dealer will cover you. How about the dealer one goes to 1k away from home ?

Jack, The big issue as I now see it is what happens should there be an issue on a long trip ? Sure, your local selling dealer will cover you. How about the dealer one goes to 1k away from home ?

Very good point

I just don't have that answer

This is why I would like to see something in writing from some one

I understand the HD warranty, It has not changed much in years

Til now

I just don't get a complete power train warranty voided

We really have mixed ideas from several dealers on this

One of these days I am going to call the MOCO to see what is real and fake

My local dealer says pretty much the same, not to worry I am a good customer We will take care of you

This has been a family run dealer since the 40s

I sure hope they mean what they say

The M8 runs a lot richer than the TC

Opening up the air cleaner and exhaust has NOT hurt mine yet and I doubt it will

I knew the chances I was taking and will oewn up if these changes hurt the engine

However if say an alternator or a leaky head gasket should arise I see NO reason a warranty should be voided JMO

Forget what the dealerships say, and even what the Customer Service folks say when you call up to Milwaukee. If you ask the same question 20 times, you can get 20 different answers. (I know, I've done it. lol)

What matters is what is in writing...

On the 2017'-up, the problem is that the warranty, that is in writing, is in direct conflict with the Consent Decree that Harley is bound by with the EPA. It may be an easy case for HD to say that their warranty is supplemented/modified by the CD.

But then, you have the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act that is law to protect us consumers, and the CD from the EPA is in direct conflict with it.

The EPA is requiring HD to, in most cases, violate federal law by their CD.

Fortunately there are ways around it, and if you should ever have any trouble, sounds like your dealer will take care of you.

If you're out on the road, you know what to do. (see post #77 above)

btw, one of our local dealerships did an install on an '18 of some items (not ours) that ended up voiding the factory powertrain warranty. The dealership was straight-up and paid for the repairs out of their own pocket, since HD wouldn't.

Kevin

Kevin, I have enough stock parts to change out should I need to take my Trike in for warranty work;)

My local dealership is having enuf trouble trying to sell bikes right now

IMO they want to keep their core buyers

I have been dealing with them since 97 so I believe they will take care of me

In fact when my Streetbob blew up The MOCO wanted them to rebuild the heads

NAH, they finagled them and got me a complete NEW engine

I traded that in on a 15 Freewheeler

All that dealer has to is put your vin number into Haleys red flag computer....

And the warranty is toast at any Harley dealer.... That said goes anyone know of that happening to someone....:Shrug:

This is a great thread. I bought 7 year extended with tire and wheel option when I bought the Tri glide. Expires in 2021. If I sell, It can be transferred to the new owner or cashed in at my option. That means the new owner would have to buy their own extended warranty if desired.

I did a Harley stage 1, with SE air intake, rinehart slip ons and Harley download at the dealer at the 1k service.

Since then, I added the DK dual cool oil filter and cooler, DK discrete air and KN air filter. I bought a stock takeoff header and gutted it, kept the header that came with the trike, and replaced with the gutted header. I did not purchase a tuner, at about the time I was doing this, Harley got zapped and I decided to leave it as I had it.

I also did a DK tank lift, Air deflectors, led stealth lower lights, and added the DK comfort lift, which I won from DK Customs.

HERE IS THE QUESTION?? If I sell this trike, would it be smart to do away with the things that I have done that is not a Harley Company Mod, except the Harley stage 1, and install all the original factory items and sell with the remaining warranty OR indentify all the mods and sell as is and without the extended warranty??

Now the writing is on the wall, I do plan on SELLING this Tri Glide. Jim

This is a great thread. I bought 7 year extended with tire and wheel option when I bought the Tri glide. Expires in 2021. If I sell, It can be transferred to the new owner or cashed in at my option. That means the new owner would have to buy their own extended warranty if desired.

I did a Harley stage 1, with SE air intake, rinehart slip ons and Harley download at the dealer at the 1k service.

Since then, I added the DK dual cool oil filter and cooler, DK discrete air and KN air filter. I bought a stock takeoff header and gutted it, kept the header that came with the trike, and replaced with the gutted header. I did not purchase a tuner, at about the time I was doing this, Harley got zapped and I decided to leave it as I had it.

I also did a DK tank lift, Air deflectors, led stealth lower lights, and added the DK comfort lift, which I won from DK Customs.

HERE IS THE QUESTION?? If I sell this trike, would it be smart to do away with the things that I have done that is not a Harley Company Mod, except the Harley stage 1, and install all the original factory items and sell with the remaining warranty OR indentify all the mods and sell as is and without the extended warranty??

The short answer is yes but has nothing to do with warranty really. They just won't give you any more money for the extras that you could sell later. Unless of course you sell to someone other than a dealer. In that case I'd say it's between you and your customer. Give them the facts and they may or may not want all the goodies but make sure you have it in writing they they are fully aware of the potential of warranty voiding. That's just to protect you, not them. A dealer would want a stock bike anyway.

All that dealer has to is put your vin number into Haleys red flag computer....

And the warranty is toast at any Harley dealer.... That said goes anyone know of that happening to someone....:Shrug:

Yes, I know a several people with '18's that have had their powertrain warranty voided. 3 of them for having FP3's installed, 1 for a Power Vision. None of them were in for warranty work on the engine, but the digital tech that was hooked up, as is SOP when bringing the bike in, and the tuners were seen and that flagged them.

THIS IS ONLY ON 2017-2108 models.

If the guy with the PV would have flashed the original tune back to the ECM, it would not have been flagged.

The new EPA mandated (illegal) CD does not apply to your Trike. 2017-UP models are the only ones being flagged/warranty voided if they are hooked up to the Digital Tech while a non-HD tune is in the ECM.

But, like hogcowboy mentioned, unless the aftermarket parts are needed to complete the sale, always better to remove what you want for your next ride.

Kevin

Yes, I know a several people with '18's that have had their powertrain warranty voided. 3 of them for having FP3's installed, 1 for a Power Vision. None of them were in for warranty work on the engine, but the digital tech that was hooked up, as is SOP when bringing the bike in, and the tuners were seen and that flagged them.

THIS IS ONLY ON 2017-2108 models.

If the guy with the PV would have flashed the original tune back to the ECM, it would not have been flagged.

The new EPA mandated (illegal) CD does not apply to your Trike. 2017-UP models are the only ones being flagged/warranty voided if they are hooked up to the Digital Tech while a non-HD tune is in the ECM.

But, like hogcowboy mentioned, unless the aftermarket parts are needed to complete the sale, always better to remove what you want for your next ride.

Kevin

Kevin, That is chilling news and an indication that Harley has chosen to stay in line with their consent decree and keep their dealers in line in terms of mods that would affect the EPA mandates. I for one do not want to have my Harley-sourced ESP contract for my 2017 TGU voided for a powertrain that has yet to prove its long-term reliability. Additionally, it seems that some of the mods people have been attempting on the M8 engines are proving to be going in the opposite direction that was intended and with few anecdotal reports are experiencing some decreased performance and smooth running.

Bob

Kevin, That is chilling news and an indication that Harley has chosen to stay in line with their consent decree and keep their dealers in line in terms of mods that would affect the EPA mandates. I for one do not want to have my Harley-sourced ESP contract for my 2017 TGU voided for a powertrain that has yet to prove its long-term reliability. Additionally, it seems that some of the mods people have been attempting on the M8 engines are proving to be going in the opposite direction that was intended and with few anecdotal reports are experiencing some decreased performance and smooth running.

Bob

Yep.....Some mistakenly think a louder exhaust, And a louder air cleaner equal more horsepower....Usually its just the opposite....:xzqxz:

Bob

Yep, typical...one arm of the Fed. Gov. doing something that is opposite of another arm.

Important thing for folks reading...this is only on 2017-up models...earlier year models this does not apply.

I am unaware of what others are doing that is reducing performance (but it does not surprise me).

All the things we are doing with M8's are giving a nice boost, and all of them are easily reversible, so there are no warranty implications.

Here's a chart of a nice power gain on a M8 Freewheeler-

Stock_Stock_587.jpg

The above is with no change to the tune, and the factory tune with the above A/C was still NOT too lean.

Here's another, with an adjusted tune (which is reversible, should a warranty claim need to be made)

Stock_v_636v_Oval_w_Tune_1_.jpg

Kevin

Thanks to all

Well, I had to make a decision on whether to buy an extended service contract or not since my time is up. I also had to decide if a third party contract would be trustworthy.

After reading everyone's thoughts and concerns I decided:

1. Yes, I need an extended service contract because I hear from too many folks talk about catastrophic break downs of both engines and transmissions with not many miles and no aggressive riding styles.

2. I found I can pay half the cost of a contract from sellers on-line but do I have the courage to trust a contract other than a HD from my dealer who will have to look me in the eye to tell me "it's not covered". Today I chose HD.

3. My cost with tax for an extra 5 years beyond the original 2 years turned out to be 2700.00 rounded off.

This is not a happy purchase. Due to HD potential lack of quality I feel mugged, not happy.

I can't even totally feel good like I can sleep at night knowing my Trike is covered. Why, because the Cat is removed and HD used a SE tuner after removing the Cat for me. So, I may have just purchased a few sheets of paper for $2,700.00. (My dealer told me it should be OK but didn't sound very confident).

Thanks again for all your help. I need to go throw up now.

Well, I had to make a decision on whether to buy an extended service contract or not since my time is up. I also had to decide if a third party contract would be trustworthy.

After reading everyone's thoughts and concerns I decided:

1. Yes, I need an extended service contract because I hear from too many folks talk about catastrophic break downs of both engines and transmissions with not many miles and no aggressive riding styles.

2. I found I can pay half the cost of a contract from sellers on-line but do I have the courage to trust a contract other than a HD from my dealer who will have to look me in the eye to tell me "it's not covered". Today I chose HD.

3. My cost with tax for an extra 5 years beyond the original 2 years turned out to be 2700.00 rounded off.

This is not a happy purchase. Due to HD potential lack of quality I feel mugged, not happy.

I can't even totally feel good like I can sleep at night knowing my Trike is covered. Why, because the Cat is removed and HD used a SE tuner after removing the Cat for me. So, I may have just purchased a few sheets of paper for $2,700.00. (My dealer told me it should be OK but didn't sound very confident).

Thanks again for all your help. I need to go throw up now.

Yeah, the cost of the extended warranties hurt...but once you accept that it is part of the purchase price...actually calculate it in in your purchasing decision, then it just becomes part of the cost of the purchase.

You will not have any warranty issues with your 2016...it is only on the 2017 & later than they could ding you for the cat removal.

And even for the 2017 & up, if you had a major warranty issue... put it back to stock before taking it in.

Kevin

Yeah, the cost of the extended warranties hurt...but once you accept that it is part of the purchase price...actually calculate it in in your purchasing decision, then it just becomes part of the cost of the purchase.

You will not have any warranty issues with your 2016...it is only on the 2017 & later than they could ding you for the cat removal.

And even for the 2017 & up, if you had a major warranty issue... put it back to stock before taking it in.

Kevin

That's if you can. If your ECM gets trashed in the process you might not be able to put everything back or you'll have trail marks that show what you did. It's all iffy and really depends on the dealer. Of course I could be all wet too.:Shrug::Shrug::Shrug::xzqxz::xzqxz::xzqxz:

That's if you can. If your ECM gets trashed in the process you might not be able to put everything back or you'll have trail marks that show what you did. It's all iffy and really depends on the dealer. Of course I could be all wet too.:Shrug::Shrug::Shrug::xzqxz::xzqxz::xzqxz:

I keep on hearing if something blows up just put it back to stock....And that might work if it blew up on your driveway.... Hypothetically speaking...

You are on Vacation in Moose Leg Corners Iowa, And you forgot to bring along your Snap-on tool chest and the extra stock parts/pipes... Or you had the dealer install the offending part because you didn't have the wherewithal to do it your self......Therein lies the conundrum...:gah:My opinion if anyone is worried about the warrteny, just leave the Trike stock, Or just change what you want, And why worry...Been there a few times Myself when i tried to out think the engineers...

Using a Power Vision will not trash the ECM, Nor will it leave trail marks showing what you did use a PV. There are other tuners that will, but not the PV when used with a tune that came from DK, FM or DJ.

I keep on hearing if something blows up just put it back to stock....And that might work if it blew up on your driveway.... Hypothetically speaking...

You are on Vacation in Moose Leg Corners Iowa, And you forgot to bring along your Snap-on tool chest and the extra stock parts/pipes... Or you had the dealer install the offending part because you didn't have the wherewithal to do it your self......Therein lies the conundrum...:gah:My opinion if anyone is worried about the warrteny, just leave the Trike stock, Or just change what you want, And why worry...Been there a few times Myself when i tried to out think the engineers...

See post #77 above. It is not that big of a hassle to undo a Stage I, even in Moose Leg Corners, Iowa.

Does not require more tools than can be carried in a small bag.

I am very concerned about my warranty (I use it a lot...hahaha), BUT, I am not going to ride 50k or 100k miles on a bike that is choked down (stock condition) compromising my riding enjoyment for 1000-2000 hours.

I'd rather have my bike set up how I want, for maximum enjoyment while riding it.

If I have to (which has never occurred) spend a few hours putting it back to stock in exchange for that...it's worth it to me.

But I certainly understand those who this would not be worth it for.

Kevin

I don't have anything that cannot be undone in an hour liker Kevin said carrying a few tools

I have a copy of the stock HD tune also

I kind of do not buy that HD is going to check every ECM before work can be authorized, This to me does not make sense UNLESS they see a tuner device out in the open still hooked up

Reactions: MDO
I don't have anything that cannot be undone in an hour liker Kevin said carrying a few tools

I kind of do not buy that HD is going to check every ECM before work can be authorized, This to me does not make sense UNLESS they see a tuner device out in the open still hooked up

Thats you, And a few others,,But not everyone can...:Shrug:

Nobodies saying that they check every ECM, At least i'm not....But pull into Moose Leg with a piston hanging out, ;) And you can bet Rocko the head wench at Moose Leg Harley....Isn't going to do a thing till a Harley factory rep pokes around a little...

I will leave this thread in peace.........

''So from where the Sun now stands' I will post on this subject no more forever...:cxtv:

Six Two Charlie .....Out......

Unfortunately, on 2017 and later models the dealership is required to hook up the digital tech to each bike that comes in for service. Whether they do it or not is another matter.

Thats you, And a few others,,But not everyone can...:Shrug:

Nobodies saying that they check every ECM, At least i'm not....But pull into Moose Leg with a piston hanging out, ;) And you can bet Rocko the head wench at Moose Leg Harley....Isn't going to do a thing till a Harley factory rep pokes around a little...

I will leave this thread in peace.........

''So from where the Sun now stands' I will post on this subject no more forever...:cxtv:

Six Two Charlie .....Out......

No offense was meant.

Those that don't work on their own bikes would have a bit more of a challenge while traveling if a problem occurred that required warranty work. They would have to find an indie shop to do the couple hours work for them.

I also understand that there are many that are perfectly happy with factory performance...in which case there is no need to change anything.

For those that do want better performance, it just seems a waste to compromise their entire riding experience because of the rare chance that they would need power-train warranty work while traveling.

Kevin

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fredmarkley5050#gmail.com

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fredmarkley5050#gmail.com
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png