Harley Conversions: What Bike & Conversion Do You Have?

Papa Zook

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 14, 2007
Conroe, Texas
What Harley bike and conversion brand do you have? Solid or independent rear? What do you like/not like about it? Have you had any issues with it, and if so were the issues resolved? Would you buy a different conversion brand or model next time around? Pics are good...

(This is a Harley conversion discussion thread aimed at those who are looking to convert their bike to a trike, so please no discussion about the merits of switching from a conversion to a Triglide, Freewheeler, Spyder, etc. If however you are switching FROM a factory trike to a bike/conversion, why are you or did you make the switch?)

I have a 2016 Softail Slim S with a Frankenstein Kit. It is a straight axle and I have had 7000 trouble free miles on the kit. I love the look of the Frankenstein kits with the fat wheels. The straight axle gives a stiffer ride but I wouldn't have it any other way due to the handling characteristics and simplicity of the design. This will take corners like it is on a rail. If I had to start over I would buy Frankenstein again.

Trike 1a.jpgTrike rear.jpg

I have a 2016 Softail Slim S with a Frankenstein Kit. It is a straight axle and I have had 7000 trouble free miles on the kit. I love the look of the Frankenstein kits with the fat wheels. The straight axle gives a stiffer ride but I wouldn't have it any other way due to the handling characteristics and simplicity of the design. This will take corners like it is on a rail. If I had to start over I would buy Frankenstein again.

View attachment 54029View attachment 54031

Man that is a great looking trike Steve.

I ride a '10 Road King with a Motor Trike Gladiator IRS conversion. Had a problem early on with CV joint boots coming out of their flanges. Motor Trike shipped two new complete axle assemblies to my installer who installed them the day after they were received. Since then, trouble free. Great ride and corners like it's glued to the road. I prefer the look of the shorter wheelbase as opposed to some of the other kits.

I have a Roadking with a IRS Champion kit. There is absolutely nothing I don't like about it. I have no recent pictures of it, but here is one from a couple years ago. The only thing that's changed is the bars. I put a set of heritage style bars on it because the wide bars just weren't getting it. I test rode several conversions, solid and IRS, as well as a TriGlide and I too much prefer IRS. I've had it for 5 years now and have had zero problems with it. A dead battery doesn't count. That's the only thing that's crapped out on it.

IMG_0386.JPG

I have had this Trike over 2 years now. Have not had one problem with the 2008 Champion conversion. Straight axle rides nice have Harley air shocks set at 20lbs and the rear tires at 19lbs. I did replace the front fork air system with Progressive Monotubes to get rid of the nose dive. Front tire is set at 35lbs. Got a couple of plus's as rides better and steers better.

I am very happy with this trike even if the bike is 25 years old. If I was to replace it I would convert a bike again and set it up the way I want. And Champion would be my first pick. I have found the Champion very easy to work on. Picture is at Car & Bike Show it took best in show custom trike.

rsz_1american_legion_post_200_lake_elsinore_nov_2017_022-x2.jpg

Self built, 1989 Harley Davidson Tour Glide Ultra:

Champion straight axle kit, 9 degree overall raked front end.

This bike has been rebuilt from the ground up except the transmission, It has over 100,000 miles on the clock but that is irrelevant except as it concerns the transmission," I have had the top cover off and the gears look fine, I replaced all the seals etc.

It has an E-27 cam in a new 80" motor. It isint a speed demon but its no slouch either even pulling my tailor.

perhaps a guy would want a bit more uhmff in long distance two up travel but i mostly ride by myself, even long distances.

I upgrade the charging system so can charge the battery in my oxygen machine if necessary but i wouldn't run it constantly due to amp draw.

DSCF3226 (600 x 448).jpg

I love this bike and have owned it all it's 28 years.

The champion straight axle kit has been trouble free for around 30,000 miles.

It is one of the easiest conversions to do as it is simple and straight forward.

I still do the lions share of work on my bike. Unplug a few wires, remove the travel trunk, Take out 6 bolts and lift the body off and i have full access.

It is also is a damn tough kit, It was hit twice on the rear end by car and didn't even crack the fiberglass, In fact it didn't even knock the axle out of alignment.

a little scratch repair and new paint and it's 100%

If i were to convert another bike for myself i would go with the champion straight axle again.

it rides a little rough in town but smooths right out on the highway which is what i built it for.

i have ridden and worked on IRS systems and they have their purpose but i dont really care for the centrifugal force exerted in a high speed corner.

It isint that you cant get used to it, Its just not my choice?

Good ride in town though, Momma might like it a bit more if hits a hard bump But if shes that delicate she probably wont like an IRS system either?

I purchased my kit through Papa Zook here on Trike Talk at a great price in the spring of 2013.

21316514_1565701136785340_3420009703628189523_o.jpg

I also purchased a hog halter 5 degree raked tree from Papa Zook here on trike talk and with the natural 4 degree stock rake i have 9 degrees overall and it is incredibly responsive, ( beats hell out of a tri glide ) and provides easy one hand steering. The raked tree is quality, easier to install and about half the price of others you can buy.

I would recommend hog halter any time!

A steering dampener was unnecessary. I found a way to keep the stock anti dive system intact by making a few one off parts.

i recently added a new stock front end and a set of heavier progressive springs and i run a back tire turned opposite rotation and get unreal mileage and traction is not a problem.

It just loves mountain curves and my cousins new Indian road master cant run with it in corners.

Here is a stock picture.

1175163_1381816182047188_307463615_n.jpg

For pics of my build visit pcombe photobucket/library

Click on picture for an expanded view and an explanation of what i did?

I dont have a pic of mine on my laptop but I've got a 94 sportster I triked with the dna kit. I rebuilt the entire top end and put a hammer performance 1250 kit and ported it, new ignition and larger jets. I also put air ride on the rear, thunder header, a pingel electric shifter, raked trees and all my brakes run of the front lever. I'm in the process of building rear fender struts and getting the fenders I made to fit on it. I'll try to get a pic up

Screenshot_20170623-162952.jpg

I got on my phone and found some pics but not all would upload. Ive been working on fenders for it so when I get that done I'll roll it out and get some more pics. I have a small trailer for it and I'm also trying to find a hitch. I'm wanting to do some camping and fishing trips on it.

View attachment 55750

I got on my phone and found some pics but not all would upload. Ive been working on fenders for it so when I get that done I'll roll it out and get some more pics. I have a small trailer for it and I'm also trying to find a hitch. I'm wanting to do some camping and fishing trips on it.

Just being funny!Kinda wonder if the BBQ grill mounted on the back wold be fun?

one thing sure it would beat cooking hot dogs on cylinder heads.

The grills side wings as fenders?

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PERuss

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PERuss
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png