Rear disc brakes on Roadhawk trike

starrider1946

Apr 30, 2015
pineville, la
I have a 2002 Roadhawk trike. Thinking about putting disc brakes on the rear. I am looking at Empi kit number 22-2911. Was wondering if anyone else had converted. They say it is 100% bolt on. If anyone else has was it fairly easy? Was wondering if you actually have to change or move anything like brake lines etc. Thanks

The disc kits work.....Yes.

The stamped caliper brackets are not well made. Inconsistent shape of the stamping.

The machined forged caliper mounts tend to line up better.

One thing to check about that caliper bracket is the thickness. It needs to be the same thickness as the drum backer plate was. Or you will be shinning and ect. Mine were too thick. I took metal off the bearing retainer to make up for it.

Also all master cylinders are not the same bore size. You will need one appropriate for your disc.

It is not any more difficult than the first set up of a drum application.....just different sizes, lever lengths, and ratios.

There is nothing wrong with a well set up drum brake. High speed panic brake fade is about all that really is different between them in function.

Disc are easier to service....don't have to get that big nut off....

Disc brakes on Roadhawk trike

Thanks for the reply and the information. I hate to buy anything I've got to start modifying stuff. Do you know if the cast brackets usually fit. Looks like that kit is about 100.00 more for the cast brackets but it might be worth it. Also how could I find out if my master cylinder will work? The kit doesn't say anything about the master cylinder but I had thought about. Do you think I could call someone like Jbugs and they might know anything about the kit? I want to do it though. I just believe those disc would be better. I have been lucky and have never had to make a panic stop.

The maximum bore diameter I would use is 3/4 - 19mm

And minimum 5/8 - 15mm

Plus all that depends on the length and ratio of the lever that operates it.

I like the "no parking brake" model that uses the ghia carbs front brake caliper. Larger piston in that caliper than the one with parking brake.

I think the kits fit an irs rear a lot better than a swing. Less measuring and/or mods or shimming.

Some folks report that the brake lines fit. But others don't. I suspect it depends on model and the original routing.

I saw somewhere where someone sold and adapter extension fitting that screwed into the caliper that gave you that little bit more room to get the original line on it.

Most of the kits do not come with any brake lines or adapters. Some people need them some don't.

The more expensive kits usually do come with brake lines.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Markh853

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Markh853
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png