Harley Davidson Recall on Brakes

Can't open the page.... Could/Might be just my laptop.....

Can you Give as a Synopsis of what its about...:Shrug:

I posted it from my phone & just checked the link from my laptop & it worked for me.

I have had problems in the past with the phone posting.:gah:

Here is the story:

Under pressure from U.S. safety regulators, Harley-Davidson is recalling nearly 175,000 motorcycles because the brakes might fail.

The U.S. recall covers more than 30 models from the 2008 through 2011 model years. Harley says deposits can form on brake parts if the fluid isn’t changed every two years as specified in the owner’s manual. That can cause a valve in the antilock brake control unit to stick.

Highway Traffic Safety Administration began investigating problems in July of 2016 after getting 43 complaints including three reports of crashes and two injuries.

Documents show Harley wanted to do a field service campaign instead of a recall, but the government refused. Messages were left Wednesday for company spokesmen.

Dealers will flush and replace brake fluid starting on Feb. 12.

CLICK HERE to see if your Harley-Davidson has an outstanding recall.

Personally, I am glad my Freewheeler does not have ABS. The linked braked work just fine IMO.

I posted it from my phone & just checked the link from my laptop & it worked for me.

Here is the story:

Under pressure from U.S. safety regulators, Harley-Davidson is recalling nearly 175,000 motorcycles because the brakes might fail.

The U.S. recall covers more than 30 models from the 2008 through 2011 model years. Harley says deposits can form on brake parts if the fluid isn’t changed every two years as specified in the owner’s manual. That can cause a valve in the antilock brake control unit to stick.

Highway Traffic Safety Administration began investigating problems in July of 2016 after getting 43 complaints including three reports of crashes and two injuries.

Documents show Harley wanted to do a field service campaign instead of a recall, but the government refused. Messages were left Wednesday for company spokesmen.

Personally, I am glad my Freewheeler does not have ABS. The linked braked work just fine IMO.

Thanks, I have Safari thats probably why it wont open...:Shrug:

Yes that was a while ago...Most people forget about the two year fluid change, Even though my 11T/G didn't have ABS..When i first heard about that last summer i decided to change my brake fluid it was in there since 2011 [30k], And it came out India ink black with a black fine powder that i had to remove with Q-tips on the bottom of the rear brake reservoir, Only rear, :Shrug: The front was clean as new..

Thanks, I have Safari thats probably why it wont open...:Shrug:

Yes that was a while ago...Most people forget about the two year fluid change, Even though my 11T/G didn't have ABS..When i first heard about that last summer i decided to change my brake fluid it was in there since 2011 [30k], And it came out India ink black with a black fine powder that i had to remove with Q-tips on the bottom of the rear brake reservoir, Only rear, :Shrug: The front was clean as new..

I'm Confused. What do you mean by "Yes that was a while ago"

They just announced this recall an hour ago.

Their was an earlier recall on brakes

This appears to be 2008 Recall

Good job on this find;) Brake fluid is going to be a BIG deal from now on

No one wants to take chances NOR should we

Why are you yelling at me!...I read that last year thats why i changed my brake fluid in my 11 T/G last year.. And i never change brake fluid in any Vehicle...

Maybe just maybe there should be just one forum to post only recalls, This way someone can just scroll down and see all recalls and not having them posted on all different forums and making it look like the problem are worst [Unintentionally i hope] then it is... This way computer Nimrods like me can do a search ..Some times old recalls are rehashed by the news media...

Oh by the way typing in all CAPS is yelling...

Ok i'm done with this thread.....

Six Two Charlie Out...

Here is the story:

That is a pretty sad situation. Harley shouldn't have to issue a recall because people decide not to maintain their bikes.

Why are you yelling at me!...I read that last year thats why i changed my brake fluid in my 11 T/G last year.. And i never change brake fluid in any Vehicle...

Maybe just maybe there should be just one forum to post only recalls, This way someone can just scroll down and see all recalls and not having them posted on all different forums and making it look like the problem are worst [Unintentionally i hope] then it is... This way computer Nimrods like me can do a search ..Some times old recalls are rehashed by the news media...

Oh by the way typing in all CAPS is yelling...

Ok i'm done with this thread.....

Six Two Charlie Out...

rhino 2, I was not yelling at you & I did not type in all caps, I just put the part of your quote in bold so you would know what I was referring to.

I also, at you request, posted the entire recall notice, due to you not being able to open it & there is a link to put your VIN # in & see in your ride is involved in any recalls.

I have seen other threads were you were equally upset & it is not good for you.

Hmmmm .... sounds a lot like the Gold Wing Recall.

Not sure why Harley has to do a recall, when it's the owners responsibility to do schedule maintenance ... Just Saying. I was on the "Dark Site" the other day, first time in years, and there was a thread about this and the general consensus was you don't need to do the brake fluid flush ... shame, shame, shame.

Their was an earlier recall on brakes

This appears to be 2008 Recall

Good job on this find;) Brake fluid is going to be a BIG deal from now on

No one wants to take chances NOR should we

For years Harley-Davidson had been using DOT 5 brake fluid without incident.

For years the Japanese manufacturers have been using DOT 3 & 4 that require constant changes and brake parts will corrode if this practice is not followed.

I have been telling my customers this since 2004 when Harley-Davidson went to DOT 4 to keep the fluid changed.

A simple fact is that there have been no significant failures on the DOT 5 but to the contrary I am now seeing a number of frozen calipers of the post 2004 era.

Simple economics, Harley-Davidson saves $2.50 per bike manufactured with DOT 4 and ensures a growing demand for replacement brake parts into the distant future

rhino 2, I was not yelling at you & I did not type in all caps, I just put the part of your quote in bold so you would know what I was referring to.

I also, at you request, posted the entire recall notice, due to you not being able to open it & there is a link to put your VIN # in & see in your ride is involved in any recalls.

I have seen other threads were you were equally upset & it is not good for you.

rhino 2, are you offended yet ????

I type in CAPS & bold because I am hard of hearing !!!

Before I lost my hearing, everyone would talk behind my back.

Doesn't seem to happen now ....
:Shrug:

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
neil wright

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
neil wright
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png