OK ride for older lehmans with solid axles?

Jim;

Looks ok he's probably a couple 1000 too high, but I'm wanting one

in IL because that's where I'll be this summer and not have to eat a bunch of shipping costs.

Plus I'd rather see and ride a purchase this big rather than buy sight unseen. Also want a private individual sale because in IL it's just a 25 fee for tax on a used bike over 10 yrs old.

Maybe Howard will give me a phone # above, (hey he just DID while posting!) or if you see any in the 3 state

area fs (IL IN MO) I would be interested, appreciate it!

solid axle lehman

I have a 99 Goldwing without EZ steer, yes after reading the treads here, I have lowered the tire pressures and lowered the air pressure on the shocks. The front tire has 40 PSI and the ride and steering is way better than where I started with pressures.

Bill

I am now a Trike Owner!

Scored a 98 GL1500SE with a DFT Kit. The Silver/Grey One. The son said it had EZ Steer! 73,000 mi.

Needs a couple minor touch ups and a good detail but structurally sound I believe

It was an estate sale Dad died last year and siblings approved my offer so it is MINE!

Can't wait to start triking!!

gl15setrike1.JPGgl15setrike2.JPG

Thanks Gorilla Man!

Well, I was going to wait until I rode one first, but by the time I get home (mid may) it'll be prime riding season and these older 1500s with good kits under $11,000 (my budget) are very hard to find and when you DO find one it is gone in a flash. A guy up there had a 96 GL1500 with a lehman kit with full lowers for 9000. I called right away but there was already a buyer coming with a trailer and a roll of cash...and of course he took it.

This one was priced right, the boy is willing to store it for me until I get home, then I'll just ride it home (less than 100 mi away) I didnt see any downside to it so what the hey...now I've at least GOT one!

I'll post pictures after I get it all up to date and detailed next month. I'm pretty stoked.

lehman trike with hard axle

I have a 99 Goldwing 1500 with out EZ steer. I totally agree the tire pressures and shock pressures are the basic key to a good ride.

I had both my pressure on tires and shocks way to high after adjusting back to what was recommendation on forum here it rides like a different trike.

Bill

We have a 1997 GL1500 SE which was converted to a trike with Lehman,s GTL kit in early 1998, Solid axle, 9" Ford drum brakes, 15x7 rear ASC wheels, 215/70-15 Lemans Radial tires, AVON Cobra Trike Radial frt tire, 6 degree Champion EZ Steer, Progressive frt springs meant for a Kaw 1200 / 1300 (part # 11-1112 they are) and with two up, 22-25 in rear shocks and about 7 wgt fork oil and no fork air .... it rides SupeR in MHO.

The one in the photo of yours looks like stock front end, rear of fender looks too close to cowl to have EZSteer. The EZSteer moves the front wheel out further by adding 4.5 or 6 degrees rake to just the two for tubes .... thus reducing trail and thuat's how it lightens steering effort.

https://www.triketalk.com/forum/album.php?albumid=1632

trike rear air pressure

Bill;

What PSI did you set them to if I may ask?

I have the rear tires at 22PSI with air shocks at about 20 to 25 PSI, with just me on trike. With wife I had to increase air pressure to 50 55 pri so the trike does not bottoms out to much on back roads.

Bill

I have the rear tires at 22PSI with air shocks at about 20 to 25 PSI, with just me on trike. With wife I had to increase air pressure to 50 55 pri so the trike does not bottoms out to much on back roads.

Bill

I had neglected to state suspension pressure ... my bad. When I wrote "and with two up, 22-25 in rear shocks", just discovered I wrote shocks when I meant rear tires .... I almost never have my shocks that low.

I tried those lower pressures once but it seems that when I'm on the trike, "Wife Unit" is almost always there too, so rear progressive shocks is usually @ 55 or so at least to minimize bottoming jolts.

On another point, I currently have 215/70-15 rear tires but originally .... it came with 245/60-15 rear tires, think like "bigger balloons" so I thought I might have to run high rear tire pressures, but it handles / rides very much like before using same psi as with them fatter 245s. With the swap to 215/70s, I kept tire dia near same, just narrower and lighter to the tune of 8 pounds lighter, we like .

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
neil wright

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
neil wright
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png