rear fenders protection

Mar 3, 2018
hadley,pa. usa
Was trying to decide which to get leather bra or clear film already had film on when i got it but my big feet keep scuffing it What are the pros and cons. thanks

Another option seems to be bed liner on the fenders. Advantage is it can be color matched (or close) and very durable. Disadvantage, kind of not so pretty, although, there have been pictures posted here that looked pretty good.

I use the 3M clear shield (removable). I can never bring myself to cover a great paint job with fake leather = looks tacky. Besides it ruins the paint. That's why you don't see Vette's/Lambo's/Farrari's etc with those god awful leather bras. We had a gal in our Vette club in Texas that put one on. About 6 months later her paint job was ruined.

JMHO

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Not sure why some have to make negative comments about other's choices.......I have the "fake leather" bibs on my fenders and don't consider them tacky, in fact I rather like the look as well as the superb protection they provide. As to ruining the paint, are you speaking from experience or have you just heard the old wives tale ? I had a hood bib on a small car I towed behind my motorhome for years and, when I took it off, no paint damage.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Not sure why some have to make negative comments about other's choices.......I have the "fake leather" bibs on my fenders and don't consider them tacky, in fact I rather like the look as well as the superb protection they provide. As to ruining the paint, are you speaking from experience or have you just heard the old wives tale ? I had a hood bib on a small car I towed behind my motorhome for years and, when I took it off, no paint damage.

I have to agree. I have had the fenders bras on my 2016 Tri Glide for almost two years. Bike has gone through many washes, rain and 20,000 miles. Took the bras off last weekend for the first time and there is no damage to paint underneath. Besides as stated above I like the look.

IMG_50921.jpgNuc

I also have the fake leather bra on my 2018 fenders and in my opinion they look great and have excellent protection. I have owned several trikes and have had leather bras on a few of them. I also had the see thru type coating on a Goldwing trike. Both will do the job....I don't agree with the "ruin the paint" comment when it comes to leather bras. I have always periodically cleaned under them, as they had snaps that were easy to take on and off. The HD fake leather bras don't snap on and off...but that is ok with me, I can still remove them to clean if I so desire.

Either product will work for you , most important thing is to do something. Don't leave them unprotected as eventually the rock chips will start to appear and the touch up paint is not cheap and sometimes just as unsightly as the chips IMHO.

I use the Harley Trike Saddlebags and the fender scruff plate at the bottom of my fenders to protect mine from my boots, but then again, I may mount mine different then some others i.e. by sliding a leg straight over the seat rather than stepping on the foot rest and swinging my leg over. The small saddlebags seem to guide my leg away from the fenders.

Not giving a negative view, just an opposing view.

Yes, from personal experience - as I said in my post. She didn't listen to the members that went through the bra phase with their Vettes and took them off due to paint damage. Hey, it's your bike, do whatever makes YOU happy. Life is simple that way.

Yes, it ruins the paint - if you don't keep up cleaning under it. Which is more work that I and 99% of luxury sport car owners want to do.

You are right, beauty IS in the eye of the beholder - I agree. Leather bras are ugly - too me. I'm not paying $35K for something with a great paint job and then cover it up. Especially if there is a clear alternative.

Like I said - JMHO

Sorry if that offended you.

Was trying to decide which to get leather bra or clear film already had film on when i got it but my big feet keep scuffing it What are the pros and cons. thanks

There are quite a few clear film options available now that are much better than the early HD options. But just a suggestion....when I had mine installed, I had them bring the film all the way over the top of the fender. The line is past crown and my wife and I both no longer scuff the top paint on the fender. JMO

jc

There are quite a few clear film options available now that are much better than the early HD options. But just a suggestion....when I had mine installed, I had them bring the film all the way over the top of the fender. The line is past crown and my wife and I both no longer scuff the top paint on the fender. JMO

jc

As I said earlier, I bought an 8' roll of the 3M stuff (they have different thicknesses). Made my own templates and installed them myself. It's a little tricky on compound curves. I have enough to replace them 3 times if I need to - all for $50. What a deal.

Can't see them on the forks either and protects them pretty good.

In my experience, the plastic film does nothing to stop rock chips....that's why I purchased "tacky - ugly" fender bibs. To each his own but if the op really wants protection, go with the bibs. 👍🏻

In my experience, the plastic film does nothing to stop rock chips....that's why I purchased "tacky - ugly" fender bibs. To each his own but if the op really wants protection, go with the bibs. ����

Unless you get the thicker material. I'm really not that concerned about a few nicks and scratches. As someone once said, "I bought it to ride , not show it off". :)

I use the Harley Trike Saddlebags and the fender scruff plate at the bottom of my fenders to protect mine from my boots, but then again, I may mount mine different then some others i.e. by sliding a leg straight over the seat rather than stepping on the foot rest and swinging my leg over. The small saddlebags seem to guide my leg away from the fenders.

how do you remove the saddlebags to get the side cover off? Ba Safe BK

how do you remove the saddlebags to get the side cover off? Ba Safe BK

I answered your question on the other thread. The H-D bags are easily removed so you can remove the side panels. Just twist the fastener to remove the bag.

Once you use the bags, you'll wonder how you ever lived without them. :)

I use a clear film. Had it put on both fenders to the top. Small scratches and chip claim to self heal in the sun. Only had it on for about 1500 miles. Time will tell. Be Safe BK

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
David Davis

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
David Davis
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png