Stallion took a dump

2006gold

950+ Posts
Jun 11, 2013
DFW, Texas
Was heading to the rattlesnake roundup in Sweetwater, Texas yesterday and got about half way when the Stallion decided it was time to spring a leak in the coolant system. Turned around and headed back home having to pour water into the unit quite frequently. Now, I may be making a trip to Troup to get the thing repaired. Going to check the obvious things first and see if I can do the repairs myself. Planning on driving to DC for rolling thunder this year before I get too old and broken down to make the trip and need the unit to be in good condition. A friend suggested I should get rid of it, but can't do that. They're too unique and never fail to draw a crowd at every stop, plus a LOT of attention on the road. Wife loves the thing for the heat and air, plus the very comfortable back seat.

Have your coolant system pressure tested

It will take some of the guess work out for you

If your thermostat is more than 2 years old replace it for peace of mind JMO

Gary the cooling system is straight forward. There are about 5 or 6 hoses and all are relatively easy to get to. Here's a link to information on changing them.

https://www.triketalk.com/forum/threads/34163-85-000-mile-Service?highlight=hoses

There are also a couple of other areas that have rubber plugs that need attention at times. The first is in the engine compartment left side coming off the coolant tube running to the back. Its near the firewall. The other is a cap that comes off the radiator on the right side about 1/2 to 3/4 of the way up.

Also not common but has happened the radiator itself has started to leak and the tanks on the radiator are plastic so replacement of the radiator is the option. This hasn't happened often.

Like I said the system is pretty straight forward and any independent shop should be able to handle it.

Living close to Troope I would go to the factory and have them do it. Plus they will look it over real good with expert eyes and fix you up for long trips.

If you go to the factory say hi to them from the gang in Florida.

Gary the cooling system is straight forward. There are about 5 or 6 hoses and all are relatively easy to get to. Here's a link to information on changing them.

https://www.triketalk.com/forum/threads/34163-85-000-mile-Service?highlight=hoses

There are also a couple of other areas that have rubber plugs that need attention at times. The first is in the engine compartment left side coming off the coolant tube running to the back. Its near the firewall. The other is a cap that comes off the radiator on the right side about 1/2 to 3/4 of the way up.

Also not common but has happened the radiator itself has started to leak and the tanks on the radiator are plastic so replacement of the radiator is the option. This hasn't happened often.

Like I said the system is pretty straight forward and any independent shop should be able to handle it.

Living close to Troope I would go to the factory and have them do it. Plus they will look it over real good with expert eyes and fix you up for long trips.

If you go to the factory say hi to them from the gang in Florida.

Thanks. I could probably do all the work myself, but I'll be trailering the unit to Troup and let them handle the problem. They did work on a Goldwing trike and have had the Stallion once before. Did me far more than right each time.

Before you spend a LOT of time & expense hauling it all the way to Troup, check the heater bypass cap first, it's one of the most common leak points on the entire cooling system hands down (plus it's a 10 minute fix).

Pop the hood & have a flashlight handy. On the right side of the bike, follow the cooling pipe back in between the engine & shifter assembly; you'll see a nipple coming out of the top of the pipe with a rubber cap on it (heater bypass cap). It's likely dry rotted & is causing your leak when the system pressurizes. Heater bypass caps are kept in almost every parts store in the nation in the red "help" section (usually 3 sizes to pack for about $2).

Although these caps are "made for" blocking off an unused coolant passage in my opinion they are less than ideal as they are not a reinforced product like heater hoses are. Because of this they're far more prone to the effects of the heating/cooling & expansion process which causes failure of them.

Hate to see someone wait for an appointment opening, drive all that way for such a simple fix.

Thanks, Richard. I'll check that before heading your way. I've read about that problem on the forum, so it's worth a look. I understand there is another near the radiator. Is that all? Hope it's that simple.. Hate missing lunch at the Tiger, though.

I know I'm taking your thread sideways for a minute...BUT...you started it a few posts back. :D

You were talking about people gawking at it and being the center of attention. If you parked at a Walmart in my area, and you went in the store, if I passed it by, I would be one of the gawkers you speak of. I've never been fortunate enough to see a Stallion in person. I would love to see one. It's a bucket list thing for me.

I would most likely offer to treat you and the Mrs. to a steak dinner if you'd allow to take a short ride on it.

Thanks, Richard. I'll check that before heading your way. I've read about that problem on the forum, so it's worth a look. I understand there is another near the radiator. Is that all? Hope it's that simple.. Hate missing lunch at the Tiger, though.

Depending on when yours was produced it may have one @ the radiator also on the lower left corner (as sitting in vehicle) just above the radiator hose. It seems as though the ones @ the radiator are less prone to cracking (although they still do). My assumption is the one up front is exposed to higher temps due to engine & exhaust temps.

Add on - Tiger Country is still there, new ownership & staff though. Ate there for dinner about a month back & it wasn't quite "the same", but still good.

I know I'm taking your thread sideways for a minute...BUT...you started it a few posts back. :D

You were talking about people gawking at it and being the center of attention. If you parked at a Walmart in my area, and you went in the store, if I passed it by, I would be one of the gawkers you speak of. I've never been fortunate enough to see a Stallion in person. I would love to see one. It's a bucket list thing for me.

I would most likely offer to treat you and the Mrs. to a steak dinner if you'd allow to take a short ride on it.

Check the thread "post your Stallion production number" and look for someone in your area. The things are all over the country despite there being so few of them.

As for riding - you have to be twice and vigilant driving one than any other three wheeler IMO. People stop paying attention to their driving, stare, and try to take pictures with their cell phones, so you not only have to watch out for yourself, but them, too. Every stop for fuel or anything else is a minimum of 30 minutes to answer questions and let people look it over. Still, wouldn't trade it. We also have a Prowler from Motor Trike which will get quite a workout this coming weekend. Love that one, too.

Richard was correct, it was the bypass cap cracked on the backside. Simple fix. All is well, now, except the event caused the check engine light of come on. Have to get that checked out at the parts store.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stag man

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stag man
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png