Unbiased Review of Honda vs. Harley Spray Cleaner.

FuzzyWuzHe

Dec 30, 2014
Grand Junction, Co. USA
First off, I do own a Harley, but, have been a huge fan of Honda Spray Cleaner Polish for years and have owned many Gold Wings (See the signature), so I think I can remain neutral.

Being a new again Harley owner I purchase a can of the "new", at least I've never noticed it before, Spray Cleaner and Polish ($7.95)

Harley Cleaner 7.95.jpg

and went to work on my Vivid Black Ultra Limited.

I had just washed the bike and really just wanted to get rid of the water spots I missed when drying it. I read the directions and followed the "in the shade" instructions. When done the bike looked good and I put it away in the garage.

The next day I went for a ride and there was a "film" on the bike, like if I waxed it and didn't get all the wax off. I swiped a finger on it and it felt almost greasy, but, did come off.

I then decided that I would get a can of the Honda Spray Cleaner and Polish (Old Faithful) ($6.25)

Honda Clreaner 6.25.jpg

and do it right. Again, I read the directions and did the quick shine procedure. To my chagrin, my tried and true "Honda Magic" left a very similar film.

I re-read both sets of instructions to ensure I was doing it right.

The Harley instructions specifically said to use a microfiber towel to apply, the Honda one just said a rag.

So Here's what I figured out after scratching my head and fuming a tad. Having similar results with both products, using a micro fiber towel, I decided to try something new. I broke out a new "diaper" (rags I buy at Fastenal, a little pricey, but, clean up nice and hold up to pool chemicals).

I split the batwing in half and did one side with the Honda stuff and one side with the Harley stuff. both shined nicely and left no film, while the diaper got a little dirty. So being a tad annal and analytical, I did both sides of the bike like the batwing and went inside leaving the bike in the garage. I changed the diaper once on each side as it did get a little dirty.

After about an hour, I went to see if there was any film. Nada ... no film anywhere. So here's my side by side.

Honda:

Pros: Easy to use, no film if you don't use micro fiber, reasonably priced ($6.25), and leaves a nice shine, If you allow it to dry to a haze and then buff it off, it leaves a "more durable shine" according the instructions, water will bead if you pour some on.

Cons: Gotta ride your Harley to the Honda dealer to get it.

Harley:

Pros: Easy to use, no film if you don't use micro fiber, reasonably priced ($7.95), and leaves a nice shine, water will bead if you pour some on, You don't have to ride to the Honda Dealer to get it, My GPS has Harley dealers listed as poi's ... LOL.

Cons: Little more pricey ($1.75 per can before tax), I don't recommend a microfiber towel, use a clean rag and change it as it gets dirty so as to not scratch the paint.

Summary:

Are they the same product? I don't think so. Very different ingredients and I'm sure neither company makes their stuff, rather, they contract some one to make it for them. They do act differently when used, so I doubt they are the same. Both do a really good job making the Vivid Black shine and both are good at removing water spots and bugs. Both work on the plastic and chrome. The Honda stuff says not to use it on seats, grips, foot pegs or tires. I'm guessing it's the alcohol in it that makes those things dry out. The Harley stuff doesn't give that limitation. It does also contain some alcohol, so I wouldn't use it on those things, not to mention, I don't think I want my grips or seat to be slick ... :AGGHH:.

All in all, both are very usable and since I have a new can of each now, I'm set for awhile.

I like Honda a bit better

I have been using

jc-lp-ea_4.jpg
For touch up waxing

I had noticed the film using the Honda spray myself. In fact it caused me to go to Slick Mist instead. Side benefit with Slick Mist is bugs com off better. Nothing is perfect though.

I use both Honda and Harley spray shine. I don't particularly care for the Honda's spray odor. Have been a user of the Honda spray since my 1200 and 1500 GW days. Both attract dust to the ABS/fiberglass parts on the bikes though. I use microfiber cloths and they do seem too smear the spray some. Requires a little more effort.

I use both Honda and Harley spray shine. I don't particularly care for the Honda's spray odor. Have been a user of the Honda spray since my 1200 and 1500 GW days. Both attract dust to the ABS/fiberglass parts on the bikes though. I use microfiber cloths and they do seem too smear the spray some. Requires a little more effort.

I don't know if it is true or not,

but I heard that if you use the Honda cleaner on your Harley,

the Harley GPS will notify you every time you are passing by a Honda Dealership.
:Shrug:

View attachment 55446This is the original Honda polish! Honda changed vendors several years ago. The current Honda polish is not as good! IMHO.

Yep - Original Bike Spirits is the one. It sits right next to the Honda cleaner on the floor display. The parts people at my local Honda dealer call this "The Good Stuff".

As noted, microfiber cloths seem to leave a film behind. Plus, if they have a nap on them they pick up dirt, bug parts and other junk and don't let it go, possibly scratching the surface. I like a nice clean new terry cloth rag or new soft diaper for cleaning and polishing our ride.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PERuss

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PERuss
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png