Avon Cobra Trike Tire Regrets?

First trip report

On the Maggi trip , totaling 800miles, I noticed even before the ride that the front wandered at 40psi. Even on the nice southern roads. After the ware out, I’ll go back to the Dunlop. A smoother ride with out the wander is more important to me than the ware factor. At least I gave it a try.

Running 38 psi from 41 on my Cobra Trike Tire front on a recommendation, can't tell much difference, if any. Was not having any problems up front, just looking for a smoother ride there.

On the Maggi trip , totaling 800miles, I noticed even before the ride that the front wandered at 40psi. Even on the nice southern roads. After the ware out, I’ll go back to the Dunlop. A smoother ride with out the wander is more important to me than the ware factor. At least I gave it a try.

Odd I thought when I read this … , just the opposite with my '97 GL1500 / Lehman GTL trike as I've said before....

…. but then aren't you referring to the bias Avon 16" tire on a HD whereas mine is a Avon radial Cobra 18" tire? Guess that must be the difference, no doubt a beefier rear type Bias tire with stiffer sidewalls would be a bit more stable than a thinner, lighter weight bias tire at that.

No flame, just was noting difference in experiences.

I am running the same tire on my CSC Kruze trike Frank is running on his Tri-Glide, the MT90B16 trike tire which is a bias ply where as the 'Wings use Avon's 130/70R18 trike tire which is a radial. I have none of the "wander" that he and other Tri-Glide owners have mentioned. I am wondering if it may have to do with the rake of the Tri-Glide's front forks and the Avon just makes the "wander" more obvious. I have rode Tri-Glides with factory Dunlops and think the front end is more twitchy than my trike which has more rake than the Tri-Glide has.

Cobra tire problem

I had love my ride with cobra until two or three sidewall beads broke. Tire had 7000 miles on it. Happen after about 400 miles in the NC and Smoky Mtn. twisties . Waiting to see if Avon going to stand behind their product. This will determine my replacement.

Anyone else had issues like this. BTW also always made sure tire was at 42 PSI could check. Another question will I really notice a difference if I go Bia Ply. In smoothest.

I had love my ride with cobra until two or three sidewall beads broke. Tire had 7000 miles on it. Happen after about 400 miles in the NC and Smoky Mtn. twisties . Waiting to see if Avon going to stand behind their product. This will determine my replacement.

Anyone else had issues like this. BTW also always made sure tire was at 42 PSI could check. Another question will I really notice a difference if I go Bia Ply. In smoothest.

Whats that mean ? can you clarify ?

Ive had the MPA and BT45 and the Avon trike tire outshines them all. For the halibut I would check your air guage against a friends or two to see how accurate it is. Also i would watch the guy who mounts your tires to see if hes overpressuring the carcass while mounting it. My guy put it on hit the sidewalls with a little lube and they popped right on. With 3 sidewall failures I would be checking the batch numbers to see if theyre different and if so then I would look at how theyre being mounted.

Ive had the MPA and BT45 and the Avon trike tire outshines them all. For the halibut I would check your air guage against a friends or two to see how accurate it is. Also i would watch the guy who mounts your tires to see if hes overpressuring the carcass while mounting it. My guy put it on hit the sidewalls with a little lube and they popped right on. With 3 sidewall failures I would be checking the batch numbers to see if theyre different and if so then I would look at how theyre being mounted.

Excellent advice! Wish I had thought of it.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
trvman

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
trvman
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png