If your on the fence about a rider backrest or want to save $$$ on one.

Dec 30, 2014
Grand Junction, Co. USA
If your on the fence about a rider backrest or want to save $$$ on one.

So I wanted a back rest for my Ultra, but, really didn't want to spend $200 for the HD one plus $40 something for the mounting.

I was looking on eBay for a good used one, with bracket and came across this:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Detachable...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649

Some disclaimers:

Says it's located in Kentucky, but, actually comes from China ... wheew, just beat the tariffs.

Takes about two weeks to get here.

Review:

Seems of decent quality. Looks like they bought a HD one and copied it. Mine was missing all the hardware and instructions. Here's what I got:

ZBackrest 2 65.00.jpg

My old Tri back rest, had a bad spring, so I took the spring to a hardware store and bought two a little heavier. I still had one, so, just found some 1/4" bolts and nylock nuts and installed it.

Here it is installed:

Backrest 65.00.jpg

I took the pic at a bad angle, makes it look crooked, it's not. I'm a big guy, and I can lean back pretty heavy on it. I think for the 65$ including shipping, it was a good deal. Time will tell, but it is good for now.

No Instructions

Fuzzy, Do you have any photos of how the bracket is installed. They don't include any instructions when shipped and I couldn't find any online.

Thanks in advance,

Kurt

Fuzzy, Do you have any photos of how the bracket is installed. They don't include any instructions when shipped and I couldn't find any online.

Thanks in advance,

Kurt

It's mounted exactly like the HD one ... go to the HD web site and download the pdf from there .... tried to attach it below ... not sure it worked

Basically, the mount bolts to the two passenger handhold mounting bolts, then the L bracket bolts to one of the brackets above the battery ... you'll need to play with which of the mounting bolts on the bracket to see which set lines up with the seat slot.

View attachment 216096.pdf

Or if you want to save money AND get one made in the USA, check these out-

http://www.grasshopperlimited.com/harley-davidson-touring-models/

I've had a backrest from these folks on my Softail for 4-5 years and have been very pleased with it.

On my TG I have an older Harley model backrest, but if I needed a new one, I would look at these.

Besides the good price, and being made in the USA, they also have a pocket for the passenger in the back of the backrest.

Kevin

Or if you want to save money AND get one made in the USA, check these out-

http://www.grasshopperlimited.com/harley-davidson-touring-models/

I've had a backrest from these folks on my Softail for 4-5 years and have been very pleased with it.

On my TG I have an older Harley model backrest, but if I needed a new one, I would look at these.

Besides the good price, and being made in the USA, they also have a pocket for the passenger in the back of the backrest.

Kevin

Thanks a lot Kevin for the tip.

I just contacted grasshopper limited to confirm the correct model for my 17 Freewheeler with a HD Sundowner seat. It has the slot for the backrest. I don't need the pocket on back & that saves $15.

Also, they have 10% off till the end of the year.:cool: That savings covers most of the shipping.

Thanks a lot Kevin for the tip.

I just contacted grasshopper limited to confirm the correct model for my 17 Freewheeler with a HD Sundowner seat. It has the slot for the backrest. I don't need the pocket on back & that saves $15.

Also, they have 10% off till the end of the year.:cool: That savings covers most of the shipping.

Cool, glad they had one for you! :clapping:

Kevin

Reactions: MDO

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NILLA

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NILLA
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png