Bleeding disc brakes

starrider1946

Apr 30, 2015
pineville, la
Got my empi disc brake kit on my trike today. Does ok but I don't have the pedal I think I should have. I mounted the calipers on top of the axle. I can't tell if there is any air left in the lines. I am going to bleed a little more tomorrow. I didn't start at the master cylinder. I bled the brakes at the calipers. Any suggestions.

Pump the pedal up using short strokes, Strap the pedal down, let it sit a few hours

Crack the bleeders open slowly, the air should be all gone

Keep the master topped off during bleeding

bleeding disc brakes

I will try that. Seems I have also read you can gravity bleed brakes. My master cylinder is higher than my calipers. Wonder if I could just crack the bleeder screws and let it bleed itself. I could also jack up the front of my trike to where the master cylinder is a good bit higher than the calipers.
Pump the pedal up using short strokes, Strap the pedal down, let it sit a few hours

Crack the bleeders open slowly, the air should be all gone

Keep the master topped off during bleeding

The only luck I have had with gravity method is to get the lines filled and everything wet. That way it is all ready to bleed.

Sounds like you are past that point.

Some air will find it's way to the highest point once you let it sit for a while.

You might could pick up an end to make a bleed nippil closer to the top of caliper.

I don't think the master being higher than the calipers has anything to do with it. The master cylinder is higher on almost all applications. Do the calipers have parking brakes in them. It can make a difference if you got them out of adjustment.

All I can add, is to really take a good look at where the bleeder screw is.....mine looked to be on top.....no luck bleeding at all....noticed the internal tip of the screw was off the the side making a chamber that trapped air when the calipers were bolted to the spindles.

So I took the calipers off and rotated them to bleeder up position, while keeping the disc in place..... 1 stroke on each caliper, brakes bled.

All I can add, is to really take a good look at where the bleeder screw is.....mine looked to be on top.....no luck bleeding at all....noticed the internal tip of the screw was off the the side making a chamber that trapped air when the calipers were bolted to the spindles.

So I took the calipers off and rotated them to bleeder up position, while keeping the disc in place..... 1 stroke on each caliper, brakes bled.

Very good point

I had a tech working for me that hung some calipers

Only problem was they were wrong side to side

Yup the bleeders were on the bottom

I laughed, and said how ya going to get the air out

Now say you had a broken or stripped bleeder

Take the caliper off, put a C clamp on the piston ( pistons)

Turn the caliper upside down

The hose with a banjo bolt or ( if the hose screws into the caliper) is the highest point to trap air

You can bleed the air out thru the banjo bolt or the hose

Brake bleeding issues

Hi I ride to and do the odd repairs for others and I find trike brakes trickey, just a few point about calipers how many pistons do you have mine has 4 so I fitted an extra bleeder to make sure that both side of the caliper are bled, secondly I never do a manual bleed, I always use a pressure bleeder as it forces the air out of the place a manual bleed can't.

I use a vacuum type bleeder. There are many to choose from but since I don't do it very often I just got a rather cheap one like this. It gets the job done but even it can have trouble getting some air bubbles that can get trapped. In those cases I reverse everything a push new fluid up from the bleeder valve. When going that direction you have to be very careful with the fluid in the reservoir. You may also have to tap the lines at junctions where bubbles can get trapped. Take your time. Another set of eyes can be helpful watching that reservoir too. Just get a baster and suck it empty before you start pushing fluid if that's what you choose to do but watch that reservoir closely. It fills rather quickly. And put a bunch of rags around it to keep any escaping fluid from touching any painted surfaces.

61P%2BAg%2B9k-L._SL1200_.jpg

I put a wrap of Teflon tape around the threads of the bleeder screws to seal out air. Then I use a large syringe with a clear plastic hose attached to push or pull fluid from either end of the lines. The syringe also catches fluid, allowing me to return it to the m/c and save a lot that would otherwise be making a mess on the floor. I can bleed a system losing only a teaspoon or so of fluid. Finally, whenever possible I unmount the calipers and hang them above the level of the m/c with bleeders topmost. I block the pads with an old pad, wait a few minutes for the bubbles to rise, and suck the air out with the syringe.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PERuss

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PERuss
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png