• It appears that you have unread Personal Messages - Please check your inbox!

Odd engine maybe clutch behavior

Reaction score
Recently but of course not all the time and I cant make the bike do this on demand.

In 5th gear and at approximately 2000 rpm. Cruising along minding my own business. I give the bike some gas gently rolling the throttle.

It skips a beat. For about 200 rpm then is fine.

It feels like a clutch slipping or maybe the fuel injection skipping a beat.

Any thoughts on this folks??

Bikes a 2010 MT Adventuer kit.

28K miles and hasn't has any major serviced yet. Oil changed fluids etc but no engine work yet. Waiting for 32K service time.

Bought used and Ive put 18K on it in 5 years. Daily commuting 26 miles a day.

35 to 65mph.

Recently but of course not all the time and I cant make the bike do this on demand.

In 5th gear and at approximately 2000 rpm. Cruising along minding my own business. I give the bike some gas gently rolling the throttle.

If the c

28K miles and hasn't has any major serviced yet. Oil changed fluids etc but no engine work yet. Waiting for 32K service time.

35 to 65mph.

If the clutch was slipping the RPM's would rev up but the trike would not, Could be in 5th at 2 grand your almost lugging the engine..:Shrug:

The first thing I would do is change the clutch fluid and flush system. It would also be a good to do the brake fluid since they are the same; DOT 4.

If the clutch was slipping the RPM's would rev up but the trike would not, Could be in 5th at 2 grand your almost lugging the engine..:Shrug:

good point. I missed that. On my Roadsmith I generally keep RPM at minimum 2500.

If no maintenance has been done you may also be due spark plugs.

I though lugging it was it but. It goes up 200 rpm not down.

When Im in 5th at 50-55mph its steady going with the flow of traffic.

Sometimes Im just too lazy to downshift to pass a car.

The first thing I would do is change the clutch fluid and flush system. It would also be a good to do the brake fluid since they are the same; DOT 4.

Clutch fluid was flushed and replaced 3K miles ago when the brake recall was done.

Paid for it anyway..............

good point. I missed that. On my Roadsmith I generally keep RPM at minimum 2500.

If no maintenance has been done you may also be due spark plugs.

Ill check the plugz this weekend but they looked fine a few months back.....

2000 rpm is 50ish and only in 5th at that speed if in steady traffic and no real throttle need.

Otherwise if say accelerating onto the highway. I wont hit 5th much before 65mph.

If your tach is going up and speed does not increase accordingly your clutch is starting to slip

How many miles on your trike?

Have you ever had any clutch work?

Keeping in mind most trikes are a wee bit heavier than two wheels so the clutch has More work to do

If your tach is going up and speed does not increase accordingly your clutch is starting to slip

How many miles on your trike?

Have you ever had any clutch work?

Keeping in mind most trikes are a wee bit heavier than two wheels so the clutch has More work to do

28k and no major work done on it at all except for regular fluid changes. Including clutch twice.

Last changed 3K ago when the recall was done.

35 to 65mph.

https://www.triketalk.com/forum/threads/34762-GL1800-Transmission-Issue

This bike defiantly has the non existent "ghost shifting". Its been doing the 5th to 4th deal since Ive had it. In frequently but it has it.

I complained to Honda when it was under warranty and of course told it doesn't exist.

But

The current symptom is very different.

Riding along at a steady 50-55mph with traffic. Goose the throttle to pass another car rather then down shift and it misses a beat.

Runs up about 200 rpm and then its "normal" from there. It doesn't do it all the time or on demand. Only happens in 5th. But it isn't the same issue or symptom of as ghost shifting although maybe related.

It could be a clogged (partially) air cleaner. That could cause the hiccup not getting enough air to keep up with the throttle. At 28k, you are due. I think it's recommended @ 24k. I did mine when I got the trike (31k) and it was gross. So bad the trike ran really bad after putting the new filter in for about 20 minutes or so til the ecm adjusted.

I'm gonna take a step back on this & ask a few questions cause (at least to me) it sounds like a line is getting blurred to some extent. Right now you're basically tossing rocks in a dark room hoping to hit a can. You need to do some "testing" to narrow down the specific circumstances that cause the issue. It's hard to diagnose an entire driveline/running gear on anything; but if you can narrow it down to a very specific set of conditions troubleshooting & diagnosing will get MUCH easier.

If you're in that specific speed range that the issue is present but are in 4th gear, does it still "miss a beat" or does it react flawlessly?

When you're running 2,000 rpms in 3rd & 4th gear and blip the throttle does is "miss a beat" or does it respond exactly as you feel it should?

I'm gonna take a step back on this & ask a few questions cause (at least to me) it sounds like a line is getting blurred to some extent. Right now you're basically tossing rocks in a dark room hoping to hit a can. You need to do some "testing" to narrow down the specific circumstances that cause the issue. It's hard to diagnose an entire driveline/running gear on anything; but if you can narrow it down to a very specific set of conditions troubleshooting & diagnosing will get MUCH easier.

If you're in that specific speed range that the issue is present but are in 4th gear, does it still "miss a beat" or does it react flawlessly?

When you're running 2,000 rpms in 3rd & 4th gear and blip the throttle does is "miss a beat" or does it respond exactly as you feel it should?

It does this in 5th gear only. And yes I know Im throwing rocks. I was hopping one might hit a target rather then just attacking this blind.

But it seems to be a in the dark issue regardless.

Honestly Im trying to avoid having the 24K service done until the 32K and do both at one time more or less. Local Honda dealer wants $1000 plus and tax time killed me.

It could be a clogged (partially) air cleaner. That could cause the hiccup not getting enough air to keep up with the throttle. At 28k, you are due. I think it's recommended @ 24k. I did mine when I got the trike (31k) and it was gross. So bad the trike ran really bad after putting the new filter in for about 20 minutes or so til the ecm adjusted.

That too is a possible thought. I wanted to combine both 24 and 32K services at one time.

Since 24K is basically a $750 air filter.

It does this in 5th gear only. And yes I know Im throwing rocks. I was hopping one might hit a target rather then just attacking this blind.

But it seems to be a in the dark issue regardless.

Honestly Im trying to avoid having the 24K service done until the 32K and do both at one time more or less. Local Honda dealer wants $1000 plus and tax time killed me.

If it's a 5th gear issue ONLY and not present in any other gear in the same rpm or speed range I'd say your problem has nothing to do with filters, fluids, clutch, etc.. That's the reason for doing tests like these as they help determine where the source is. IF you find it's an rpm related issue it's engine/transmission (& MAYBE clutch). If it's a speed specific issue it's usually running gear.. But if it's ONLY in a very specific gear at a very specific range I'd say you've found the problem.

I'd suggest giving Greg a call @ JustWings in Zephyrhills as it sounds like this may be something that falls in his niche.

If it's a 5th gear issue ONLY and not present in any other gear in the same rpm or speed range I'd say your problem has nothing to do with filters, fluids, clutch, etc.. That's the reason for doing tests like these as they help determine where the source is. IF you find it's an rpm related issue it's engine/transmission (& MAYBE clutch). If it's a speed specific issue it's usually running gear.. But if it's ONLY in a very specific gear at a very specific range I'd say you've found the problem.

I'd suggest giving Greg a call @ JustWings in Zephyrhills as it sounds like this may be something that falls in his niche.

I will take the trek to the west coast if needed after the 32K service has been done if the issue still persists.

The ghost shifting has happened maybe a dozen times in 5 years. Only caught me by surprise big time once.

This slippage is a newer thing. I can always take a look at the clutch if it persists or get worse.

If it gets worse and is the clutch. That can be addressed easily enough. last clutch I did was 6 years ago when I rebuild my 99 Valk. It was easy enough. Bikes aren't difficult at all.

Its such a random occurrence at this time that it is a very minor and infrequent annoyance. Maybe once twice a week.

I was looking for some possibilities from you folks and have received some good advice.

Before tossing over $3k to have the gear box fixed as I should.

I have to be very annoyed with it. The ghost shifting that is.

Im not anywhere near that place yet.

A bad clutch will just have to be apparent and frequent before Id address that.

A clutch would be nothing new to me as all Ive ever owned are manuals. 1 auto in 45 years. I didn't keep that car a year.

Just a thought, when someone speaks of clutch slippage on a motorcycle with a wet clutch, my first thought would be as to what oil is being used. If 10w-30 is, then is it automotive 10w-30 with friction modifiers or motorcycle specific 10w-30 without?

Just a thought, when someone speaks of clutch slippage on a motorcycle with a wet clutch, my first thought would be as to what oil is being used. If 10w-30 is, then is it automotive 10w-30 with friction modifiers or motorcycle specific 10w-30 without?

Very reasonable thought too.

Except, oil used from day one with me is Aimsoil 10w-40 for the trike every 5K like clockwork.

Doesnt get a much better oil then that.

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Glockjock
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png