Converting GL1800 Spoiler to Dual Function with Brake Light Modulator

Radar

Apr 25, 2018
Pahrump, NV
Converting GL1800 Spoiler to Dual Function with Brake Light Modulator

Hi,

I have a 2010 GL1800 Champion Trike. I'd like to convert the spoiler to dual function so I purchased a Big Bike Parts Spoiler Dual Function 2001-2010 converter Plug and Play. Instruction say to "plug the blue three-pin connectors into the blue three-pin connectors on bike. These are located on top of the shelf behind wheel inside a black rubber boot". Is that connector still somewhere or did it go away in the conversion? If it is gone what is the cleanest way to install this wire harness.

I also purchased Bike Bike Brake Light Modulator 16-201 with the intent of making the spoiler brake light modulate. Is this going to be OK to do both? I now have a vague recollection that when I tried this on a 01 there were some problems doing both. But I have difficulty remembering what I had for breakfast yet alone 17 years ago.

Larry

The easiest yet in your case maybe the hardest way to know where that connector is would be to talk to the guy that did the conversion. So, the only other way will be to trace the wires from the light all the way back through every twist and turn until you find that connector or where it was removed and hard wired. If the light is working at all it's there somewhere or it's hard wired and that's where you'll have to do the same.

Zook might know what happens to it as well and if I'm not mistaken you can still send a PM to him if he doesn't chime in here. The strobe part you'll just have to try. Some later model bikes get real picky about added function but I don't think yours is late enough to throw error codes on electrical items. It might be though. I know my Indian will in a heart beat. I'd like to do the same with my trunk light but just don't dare until someone comes out with a plug and play that adds the proper filters or whatever it is they do to not throw error codes. So basically you are on your own unless someone else has already done it here and can help.:Shrug:

The easiest yet in your case maybe the hardest way to know where that connector is would be to talk to the guy that did the conversion. So, the only other way will be to trace the wires from the light all the way back through every twist and turn until you find that connector or where it was removed and hard wired. If the light is working at all it's there somewhere or it's hard wired and that's where you'll have to do the same.

Zook might know what happens to it as well and if I'm not mistaken you can still send a PM to him if he doesn't chime in here. The strobe part you'll just have to try. Some later model bikes get real picky about added function but I don't think yours is late enough to throw error codes on electrical items. It might be though. I know my Indian will in a heart beat. I'd like to do the same with my trunk light but just don't dare until someone comes out with a plug and play that adds the proper filters or whatever it is they do to not throw error codes. So basically you are on your own unless someone else has already done it here and can help.:Shrug:

Thank you, I fully agree. I will be talking with an installer in a couple days. The best I can tell there is only one place I can't see and not ready to jack it up to see there yet. I do no want to be splicing into wires. Especially since I don't understand how what appears to be a simple wire harness allows the led brake light to also become a running light.

Hi,

I have a 2010 GL1800 Champion Trike. I'd like to convert the spoiler to dual function so I purchased a Big Bike Parts Spoiler Dual Function 2001-2010 converter Plug and Play. Instruction say to "plug the blue three-pin connectors into the blue three-pin connectors on bike. These are located on top of the shelf behind wheel inside a black rubber boot". Is that connector still somewhere or did it go away in the conversion? If it is gone what is the cleanest way to install this wire harness.

I also purchased Bike Bike Brake Light Modulator 16-201 with the intent of making the spoiler brake light modulate. Is this going to be OK to do both? I now have a vague recollection that when I tried this on a 01 there were some problems doing both. But I have difficulty remembering what I had for breakfast yet alone 17 years ago.

Larry

The connector is still there, but it might be a bit difficult to get to as the rear fender liner gets whacked off and the wires re-located. You might be able to get to it by removing the seat.

Download and print the Champion install manual here if its a solid axle kit or here if its an IRS kit. Champion provides good install instructions and pictures so this should help.

Depending on where the installer routed and secured the harness to, worst case, you may have to unbolt the tour pac and raise the rear of it up to access the plug. A GL1800 service manual would also be helpful.

The connector is still there, but it might be a bit difficult to get to as the rear fender liner gets whacked off and the wires re-located. You might be able to get to it by removing the seat.

Download and print the Champion install manual here if its a solid axle kit or here if its an IRS kit. Champion provides good install instructions and pictures so this should help.

Depending on where the installer routed and secured the harness to, worst case, you may have to unbolt the tour pac and raise the rear of it up to access the plug. A GL1800 service manual would also be helpful.

Thank you very much No 1. Sorry, couldn't resist. I assume you have heard it a million times by now. I've done everything you suggested except pull off the tour pac. I think I will drop these two installs until this fall for other reasons. Again thank you.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PERuss

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PERuss
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png