Georgia-Honda trike vs Can Am RT

welcome to trike talk from East Texas, I think that is why the make many trikes, every one likes different trike brands. if ever one like the same one ( there would be only 1 brand )

have fun and ride safe, what ever you ride.

We've had both the Goldwing Trike, two wheels in the back; the Can Am; and now the Goldwing with two wheels in the front. While I liked the Can Am very much, the wife never felt secure in the back seat, even after I added armrests that were locked down securely. Between the two wheel versions of the Goldwing, the wife much preferred the two rear wheel version over the two front wheels. I tend to agree, but we'll keep it this way for a while anyway.

Hi Melvin, good question, I ride a Gold Wing, Road Smith conversion, I too have been confused about the 'rough ride' of the machine having ridden it since 2012, always two up. I say 'rough ride', not quite that bad, but I feel the suspension could be much better. Not a complaint on the RS, jut a gnawing feeling. Obviously three wheels is gonna find almost every irregularly in the road, that's why trikes should have good suspensions. Having aid that, I have given a lot of thought and homework to the Spyder touring model, the RT, I love the configuration of the thing, just can't bring myself to pull the trigger having read almost everything about it. I do believe the suspension is better, but there are downsides to every action, so I still have the Road Smith and I will keep it, it serves me well, and I have no desire to spend a lot of money to experiment with another trike. In my effort to information, Spyder vs other trikes, I found it difficult to get information from those who have experienced both rides.

..... Between the two wheel versions of the Goldwing, the wife much preferred the two rear wheel version over the two front wheels. I tend to agree, but we'll keep it this way for a while anyway.

Gary - can you elaborate on statement related to pro's & con's of your experience with both types of Goldwing trikes, I'm trying to decide which way to go (reverse vs traditional) on converting my Goldwing - right now I'm leaning towards going with a Roadsmith conversion.

Thanks

Tom

Welcome to the Gang from Western Colorado.

Choosing a ride is as subjective as choosing a spouse. Test ride what you think you may like and go with your heart.

Disclaimer: I am not suggesting that anyone "test ride" a potential spouse.

Hi. I have a 2015 Spyder. It does the job, has great handling, but to me it barely resembles riding a motorcycle. Nice for in town, but on longer rides, I feel like I'm on a toy more that a trip-worthy machine. If you've ever ridden a snow machine, it's almost exactly that feel. That's just my two cents, tho, and I do still ride it on trips, but plan to replace it when I'm able. I strongly suggest you go take a test ride, should help you decide :)

Hi Mel welcome to triketalk. I started my trike experience on a Gold Wing trike I Bought from a friend of mine. It was a 1500 and an older conversion with a solid axle. I know that is the reason for the stiff ride,but I did get used to that.What I never got used to was the way it plowed around corners. To me it was like driving a dump truck. I did have a 3* rake which was probably not enough. I came from 50+ years on two wheels and it was very obvious to me that the Gold Wing was nothing like riding a motorcycle and was never going to be. It was also for me not fun.The Gold Wing did everything a Gold Wing does,it just was a lot of work to me as a ride. Rode it 4 years and 50,000 miles and never really used to it. Enter the Spyder. I bought it in June 2015. I wasn't coming from a bike so I already knew it would be different. I still had dreams of being able to ride 2 wheels again,but that's never gonna happen again. Sold the Wing bought the Spyder and rode it home. I knew I made the right choice. It felt light like a bike,I loved the steering. I could turn it on in the corners and it felt good. It was so much easier to shift the semi auto tranny. It was comfortable (but so was the Wing).It wasn't as quiet as the Wing but good enough.I rode it Sturgis that summer,heavily loaded and it did fine. It got better mileage then the Wing (25 vs 29). I also found that at the end of the day I was not as tired from steering the Spyder. The big question of course is always,"but is it as reliable as a Wing?" Probably not,but I have been all over the West and it hasn't let me down yet. I doubt it will go 300,000 miles without major engine work,but you should get 100K to 150,000 out of it.There are several out there now with that kind of mileage on them still going strong.So go ride a few,test em out. I did and I like my choice.I bought mine used and its been fine. New left over '17s are on sale at a pretty good price,used even cheaper. But try before you buy. I think you'll like it.

Oh BTW I am 71,I quit riding 2 wheels because I crashed twice in 9 weeks and realized something had to change and I wasn't ready to get out of the breeze yet. A convertible didn't it for me(I tried,a Mustang GT convertible.) so on to the trikes.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PERuss

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PERuss
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png