Rear Axle Bearing Retainer Plates

Reaction score
After replacing the worn heim joints there was still play when we rocked the rear wheels.

It was less than before replacing the heim joints, but there was still a significant amount of movement and audible clicking/clanking.

We thought it must be the rear axle bearings going bad. So we removed the rear axle, and boy what a surprise!

The bearing was not bad, no play in it, and no grease leaking out of the sealed bearing.

Taking%20apart%201.jpg

What we did discover is that the entire bearing was rocking back and forth in the axle housing.

The bearing retainer plate is supposed to hold the bearing tight in the housing. It was not. Instead, the plate was allowing the bearing to rock in the housing. Below is a photo of what we saw right off the bat...

...witness marks on the plate where the bearing was banging up against it.

Plate%20Witness%20Marks%20first%20seen.jpg

Here's a better photo of both plates, where the witness marks are clearly visible.

Retainer%20Plate%20Witness%20marks.jpg

What may be even more disconcerting is how much the outer surface of the bearings were banged up from all the movement in the axle housing.

Bearing%20Banged%20up.jpg

What is supposed to happen is that the bearing fits snugly in the axle housing, and then the bearing retainer plate is supposed to tighten up against the outer bearing surface and hold the bearing immobile in the housing.

Bearing%20Retainer%20Plate.jpg

Instead, because of loose HD tolerances, AND because the bearing retainer plate is a stamped material, AND too thin, it loses (or never had) it's completely flat surface. The result is that there is space between the outer bearing surface and the retainer plate.

This allows the bearing to move inside the axle housing, resulting in:

1. Banging up the bearing

2. Banging up/wearing the inner diameter of the axle housing

3. Back & forth Tire/wheel movement, which results in clicking, clanking and #4 below

4. Since the wheel end of the axle has rocking movement, that means the far end of the axle (which sits in the differential) has even more up and down movement. This results in worn splines, or worse!

Photo of axle housing worn because of bearing movement-

Housing%20worn.jpg

Photo of worn splines...

Splines%20worn.jpg

...these are not horrible, because I caught it early enough.

Splines%20worn%202.jpg

The last thing we saw that we did not like, although it is not a potential for catastrophic failure like the above, is that there is not a good seal to keep water out of the axle housing.

As seen in this photo, water can just sit in the axle housing and start rusting-

Rust.jpg

After discovering the above, I went out and spent some time grabbing some rear tires of different HD Trikes and seeing if there was rocking movement in them.

2 brand new ones has no movement

1 with around 5K miles had no movement

1 with around 3K miles has just a little bit of movement

3 others, ranging between 12K and 35K miles all had movement similar to mine (which has 50K miles).

Since I am leaving on a long trip shortly, I did not want to just put it back together and hope I did not have a problem while out on the road.

I also did not want to just replace the bearing retainer plates with some new ones...obviously it would happen again, and probably faster, since the axle housing is a bit beat up/misshapened.

The next post outlines what we did-

Kevin

After being thoroughly surprised, dismayed and generally wondering what I was going to do, with our trip right around the corner, we decided to make our own bearing retainer plates....Ones that would work, and not have a problem down the road.

First thing we did was pull the snap rings, then press off the the axle retainers and bearings. That gave us access to the defective retainer plates.

Removed%20old.jpg

Devin then designed a new plate. 2.5 x's as thick. It is cut from 1018 American Steel...not stamped.

It also has a 2/100" shoulder that butts up against the bearing. This makes sure that there is NO rocking or movement of the bearing in the axle housing, even if that surface it bolts to is not completely flat (accommodating poor tolerances).

It also has a place for an o-ring, so there is no chance of water getting in there and sitting.

New%20Set%20up.jpg

Ready to install with new bearing and plate with an o-ring.

Install%20New%201.jpg

Installation went easy-

Install%20New%202.jpg

Install%20New%203.jpg

All done!

Install%20New%204.jpg

I now have several hundred miles with this new setup. It is rock solid with no clicking, clacking or wandering.

Most importantly, I'm no longer concerned about something tearing up while on our trip.

Kevin

Guess I'm go'na need to loosen the strings on the budget purse I see. I've got a little over 22,000 on my '13 and have noticed a little play back there. NOT too much but was kinda wondering that it might be.....the bearing but thought initially like you did, all I need to do is replace the bearing.

8~\o

Kevin, Good catch on the backing plate and axle bearings! You have mentioned a long trip coming up. Where do you and Mary plan to go on this upcoming adventure? Sadly, between getting a hip replacement 7 months ago and moving to the East Coast of Florida in the next month, I haven't had a chance to take a long trip on the M8-engined TGU. I am really looking forward to going out West, possibly in September, to get some long days in the saddle. BTW, glad you got some new rear tires for the TGU so that those combined with the new axle parts should keep you rolling.

Kevin, Good catch on the backing plate and axle bearings! You have mentioned a long trip coming up. Where do you and Mary plan to go on this upcoming adventure? Sadly, between getting a hip replacement 7 months ago and moving to the East Coast of Florida in the next month, I haven't had a chance to take a long trip on the M8-engined TGU. I am really looking forward to going out West, possibly in September, to get some long days in the saddle. BTW, glad you got some new rear tires for the TGU so that those combined with the new axle parts should keep you rolling.

Hoping you get to make that ride in September!

Yeah, thanks to your encouragement I got the new rear tires, and also my Avon Trike front tire arrived yesterday.

We're hitting a bunch of States, starting with the Trike Talk Gathering in Eureka Springs, Arkansas. Then headed to Colorado, up thru Wyoming, Montana, Idaho, Oregon, North Cali coast, across Sierra's, down to Lake Meade, then Utah & Colorado again, then on home. Should be an 8 or 9000 mile fun trip!

Kevin

Yes, the Freewheeler has the same weakness, as it uses the same under-engineered parts. The OEM stamped, thin plate is really surprising.

Kevin
Curious would the 09' model like mine have the same parts, they were assembled my Lehman? :Coffee: ride safe Fred

Looks like I'm going to be the first feedback on this product. First as Kevin states there is a potential problem here. When I removed the axles the right bearing showed signs of rust. My 2013 TRI has 50k on it. The product supplied by DK is a quality product. The instructions are very good. The average wrench should be able to do this install with ease. I had my friend who owns a repair garage do the pressing off and on the new bearings. Be aware that you will need to install new bearings because the old ones might be damaged when being removed. The bearings I got from NAPA that have a bearing # of 6208 C3. Make sure you get the sealed version.

Took me about a hour to remove the axles and about the same to re-install them. I take 2 to 3 long trips each year and now that I know about the issue of flex and water getting to the bearings this fix is one less thing to worry about.

Thank you Kevin.

Looks like I'm going to be the first feedback on this product. First as Kevin states there is a potential problem here. When I removed the axles the right bearing showed signs of rust. My 2013 TRI has 50k on it. The product supplied by DK is a quality product. The instructions are very good. The average wrench should be able to do this install with ease. I had my friend who owns a repair garage do the pressing off and on the new bearings. Be aware that you will need to install new bearings because the old ones might be damaged when being removed. The bearings I got from NAPA that have a bearing # of 6208 C3. Make sure you get the sealed version.

Took me about a hour to remove the axles and about the same to re-install them. I take 2 to 3 long trips each year and now that I know about the issue of flex and water getting to the bearings this fix is one less thing to worry about.

Thank you Kevin.

Thank you for the good review. You are right about the issue of flex and spline wear. I am super happy we discovered this. We've been tearing up some twisties yesterday and today, and knowing that those plates are in there holding everything is a good feeling.

Kevin

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
J.Hammers
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png