How long is your dipstick

I knew this could get out of hand but it looks like someone may have trimmed some off the dipstick tube in my motor. I noticed a jagged edge at the opening this after noon. If this is the case it may explain my oil issues.

So you're looking for how much of the tube sticks up out of the block, Robert?

Odd that someone cut has it. Not sure why that would be done???:Shrug:

Not in the shop right now, so I'll get back tomorrow.

Maybe another member can pipe in sooner with the answer, (pun intended:p)...

Not in the shop right now, so I'll get back tomorrow.

Maybe another member can pipe in sooner with the answer, (pun intended:p)...

Probably an any port in a storm dipstick , And the previous owner just cut it back to make it fit/plug on the tube....:Shrug:

A odd question, but a worthy one. I ran across an article about aftermarket dip sticks and how accurate they may not be.

I have this chromed one, it is impossible to see fresh oil on it, but it is what the engine has on it.

I guess one might have cut on it, but they dipstick head can cause a lot of abuse when sliding it down, some like to push and cram it down. This type of abuse can damage it for sure.

Hope you can get this issue resolved.

On my 1973 Type 1 engine, with dipstick removed, the tube sticks up 1-1/2" from the deck of the block. (+ or - a mm or 2)

I'm running with an aftermarket dipstick & when placed next to the tube on the deck flat where the tube comes up from, the tube height measures a little bit lower than halfway between the high/low marks on the stick.

Hope that helps...

looking at it my dipstick is the proper length and I think I have the proper amount of oil. When I start my motor cold or hot I have 20 lbs of oil pressure at idle however when I am driving and come to a stop it goes to 0 and light comes on. I am going to check the oil pressure valves tomorrow.

20 lbs hot idle is more than most. I'd be lucky to see 5 lbs hot idle. When you look at the back of the gauge does it have a tiny hole for the oil. They usually have a restriction just so it won't do what you describe. My first thought is throw the gauge away. If the pickup tubes correct you may be trying to fix something thats not broke. What was the problem that made you install a gauge in the first place.

It is odd.

I jostle mine around pretty hard and no problems.

A baja bounces around a good bit.

I am fairly certain that some thing like autocross would do it. Sticky tires and as much G as you can pull for extended time....not just a jostle about.

There is usually something going on with the pick up tube that causes this in not extreme situations.

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stag man
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png