Custom Wheels for CSC Trike kit.

R Carey

Sep 17, 2010
Elkton md
I would like to have more to chose from other then fractory wheels.
Has anyone run different wheels on there CSC Kit? If so,what kind and
make are they,Also size. Thank in advance. Rich. Honda Goldwing 1800

WELL I have a 1500 1993 gold wing CSC conversion. I was looking to lower the RPM at crusing speed so I put 15 inch rims from a ford mustang GT.
This lowered my RpM by about 750 at 65 mph. also uped my mpg by about 4 to 5 but lowered my take off power. I had to use the clutch more. Then my wife wanted to take her test and she took it on my trike so I put the 14 incher factory rims back on. The only thing that happened with the 15 inchers was that there was that there was very little clearence on the wheelwells. but I think I could make that work with smaller tire size... Anyway Hope that helps you out!!!:Shrug:

WELL I have a 1500 1993 gold wing CSC conversion. I was looking to lower the RPM at crusing speed so I put 15 inch rims from a ford mustang GT.
This lowered my RpM by about 750 at 65 mph. also uped my mpg by about 4 to 5 but lowered my take off power. I had to use the clutch more. Then my wife wanted to take her test and she took it on my trike so I put the 14 incher factory rims back on. The only thing that happened with the 15 inchers was that there was that there was very little clearence on the wheelwells. but I think I could make that work with smaller tire size... Anyway Hope that helps you out!!!:Shrug:

Careful with using the smaller tire if you are happy with the 15 ich rim. Smaller tires leads you back to what you had with the 14 inch wheels.

I realize this is an old posting, but the same question came up with me. So I can use Ford wheels 14" on my CSC. i have a 98 Goldwing CSC and wanted to go "old school" and put some old Cragar SS mags on there. This will work huh? Thanks. All kinds of info out here.

As long as the bolt pattern, width, and MOST importantly-The OFFSET is the same. Then Absolutely. CSC is somewhat more forgiving than others in that there is more leeway with the offset toward the outsides than most kits. Their GL1800 kits have more "space" between the outside surface of the stock tire/wheel combo and the inside of the fender wells. This will allow you to either go outward with the offset more or keep the same offset but increase your width of the tire/wheel without causing a rub. Obviously most subscribe to the "Wider is Better" when it comes to tires for contact patch, handling, braking, etc...

However, keep in mind that a wider tire also has a negative/con/down-side in that it will magnify the grab of the road surface and be more effected by the same (the contouring and imperfections in the road surface will transfer more readily and noticeably into the trike). When this happens it will cause the rear to want to "wander" more in side-to-side motion as you are moving forward. Not too big a deal once your brain gets used to the increased sensory input you will experience as that "wandering" goes from road, throughout the trike, and into your body.

Also remember that by decreasing the rim diameter, you must increase the tire wall height to retain the same overall diameter of the combination. The taller the sidewall-the more lateral Yaw (due to increased sidewall flex) you will feel in cornering which can effect your riding style and set-ups into those. You don't "have to" do this but if you don't it will bring about its own consequences that may or may not be a negative to you individually. Such as: 1. Speedo will read inaccurately (can be correted with a Healer). 2. The powertrain will have to turn more RPMs to maintain the same speeds as before. 3. Your operating ranges of the gearing will change (more noticeable on the first 3 gears).

Number 1 isn't much of a deal at all but numbers 2 & 3 can be over time. Increased RPMs and working of the powertrain can lead to abnormal wear and tear on those assemblies as they are constantly performing above and beyond its original intended design. You will also experience a decrease in MPGs and the tires themselves will wear faster due to increased revolutions and heat and friction. Brakes and rotors will be affected in a similar fashion.

I know it sounds like overkill and overthinking but it is true. Ya gotta think through the whole picture as the Tires/Wheels are a big piece of the overall Unit and machine. Any seemingly small and negligible modification to any machine can translate into a big change for the whole when set in motion. As the Law of "Every Action has an Equal and Opposite reaction" also applies, there is usually a Con/Anti for every Pro/Positive. You just have to smartly and thoroughly weigh them both and decide which "Pro(s)" you want more and which "Con(s)" you are prepared to have to live with. Then pull the trigger and rock-n-roll.

Go to any auto tire and rim store and they will measure and show you a lot of rims that will work. Tire plus, sun tire, or any that have a good selection will help you. They no about off set and anything that you need. I have a 08 G/W that I got nice rims for. They are cheaper at auto stores, bike stores will rip you off...

Go to any auto tire and rim store and they will measure and show you a lot of rims that will work. Tire plus, sun tire, or any that have a good selection will help you. They no about off set and anything that you need. I have a 08 G/W that I got nice rims for. They are cheaper at auto stores, bike stores will rip you off...

For some reason I hadn't thought about that. I always had figured the trike company would make it difficult for the buyer to purchase anything else other than "their" product. And that's true about bike shops and stores. Big markup. Thanks ET. I'll try that too Tip. Thanks ThumbUp

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PERuss

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PERuss
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png