Help with ride quality; new triker

Ron60

May 21, 2018
Byron,Georgia,USA
I just got a 2005 H.D. softail deluxe with Lehman Renegade kit(17k miles). I've been told there's no way to improve ride quality as I have the wide, wire rims and tires. Anyone have any info on replacement /better shocks for the straight axle,belt drive kit possibly from '05?? I've enjoyed the ride and price of J&P shocks by Progressive on other rides. Had to switch to three wheels due to medical issues and am shocked at how hard it is to get any help from Lehman or Champion.

1) Welcome

2) Many have gone to a trike only to be disappointed with ride. A bike pretty much stays verticle and leaves one track, a car only leaves 2, but a trike leaves THREE. Finally you just try to minimize the jolt as you can't ride between pot holes like on a bike. If you have really big wheels with little tire sidewall, they only make it worse as short tire sidewalls absorb less bump.

Ron, welcome to Trike Talk!

One of our members on here, Lee H. Mann is the resident Lehman guru on here. If anyone can answer your questions it would be him.

I just got a 2005 H.D. softail deluxe with Lehman Renegade kit(17k miles). I've been told there's no way to improve ride quality as I have the wide, wire rims and tires. Anyone have any info on replacement /better shocks for the straight axle,belt drive kit possibly from '05?? I've enjoyed the ride and price of J&P shocks by Progressive on other rides. Had to switch to three wheels due to medical issues and am shocked at how hard it is to get any help from Lehman or Champion.

What rear tire pressure are you running Ron? Lowering it to the 20-22 lb range helps a lot and changing out the shocks can also help.

A profile picture is worth a thousand words. As stated above, wide wheels look great but ruin the ride !

It is presumed that you have adjusted the air pressure in the rear tires and checked the spring setting on the rear shocks and none of these corrected or changed the ride. I have installed Harley-Davidson air shocks on a few Renegade Softails.

my trike 29.JPG

I found it’s a weight thing , solo ridingis a basketball , when 2up it smoothins out quite a bit. Have progressive coil overs w/lift kit. 22psi in rear tires. Don’t want to add 100lb weight in trunk to improve ride.

Welcome aboard, Ron!

'86 E-Glide with a "vintage" Lehman Tour conversion. I run 15-20 psi in the rear shocks (stock HD's), 25 psi in the rear tires, 36 in the front. She rides like a Cadillac. Keep at it, you'll get it worked out! And as previously stated, Jim is the guy for all things Lehman.

PEACE and ride safe! :Dorag:

P.S. I forgot to mention, I'm also running 50 series tires on spokes.

Last edited:
Thanks everyone for the "welcomes".Jim, yes I have @ 20 psi in rear tires and have added preload to shocks. The shocks were on lowest setting and I've got up to middle setting in my trials. I plan on trying more but am expriencing a lot of bounce now.The tires are not low-profile and have plenty of side wall. I agree trikes are very sensitive to both tire pressure and shock settings but I feel the shocks were not up to task of the heavy,wide tires when new,especially since they've aged. I'll see if my wife can help with getting a pic on here if it ever stops raining in Ga. I'll check with my bike shop to see if he has any HD take-off air shocks that I can try. Any model of air shock should I look for? Trike,Ultra,etc? I need the rear brakes adjusted and the rear end gets high-speed grease.... any tips on those or they straight forward do-it-yourself things?

Thanks for replys

Yes Jim, 20 psi and middle setting; not low profile tires. I'll try to get pic posted. Thanks everyone for welcomes and replies. I'll see what my bike shop has laying around in H.D. take offs, any type prefered? trike,ultra, etc? I'll try adding more pre-load; as I started at lowest. I've read most threads on Lehman trikes and am impressed with Jim's knowledge and kindness. Im getting a lot of bounce now with passenger. I dont think shocks were ever up to job of the big tires...too bad Lehman has not been of any help!

Yes Jim, 20 psi and middle setting; not low profile tires. I'll try to get pic posted. Thanks everyone for welcomes and replies. I'll see what my bike shop has laying around in H.D. take offs, any type prefered? trike,ultra, etc? I'll try adding more pre-load; as I started at lowest. I've read most threads on Lehman trikes and am impressed with Jim's knowledge and kindness. Im getting a lot of bounce now with passenger. I dont think shocks were ever up to job of the big tires...too bad Lehman has not been of any help!

A little over two years ago one of the T/T members had an issue that was similar. It turned out to be one bad shock. Since you have a non-flexible swingarm, it is difficult to determine which shock it actually is. I would continue to increase the pre-load and if this does not improve the ride, it could very well be a bad shock or shocks that are too short (less than 13.25").

You could replace the pair with another set of coil-overs or get a set of air-rides from a Harley-Davidson Ultra. The H-D part number is 54565-97C (13") and you can find them USED for sale on eBay relatively inexpensive and fully functional. I just checked and there are over 50 listings right now. Try to get a set with lowest mileage, with air lines and fittings and change the fluid before installing.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stag man

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stag man
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png