Water pump took a dump (maybe)

Zammy

20500+ Posts
Jan 15, 2015
W. Florida
We got about 3 miles from the house this morning and the water temp light came on, WTH. We stopped and I checked the level, looks good, but was not warm at all, hmmmmm, not good. We turned around and headed back home, about a 5 minute ride. Has to be the pump or a stuck thermostat in my opinion, called the HD dealer close to our daughters house, they have a pump in stock. Anyhow, going to trailer the bike there tomorrow afternoon, they re-arranged the service schedule to fit us in, this is Ukes HD in Kenosha, WI.

hello Gary

hate to hear you have a problem, but nice you was close to home and a dealer that will work you in. Darlene and I enjoyed you'll in Eureka springs. looking forwards to seeing you'll on another gathering. like Maggie Valley. in Sept.

We got about 3 miles from the house this morning and the water temp light came on, WTH. We stopped and I checked the level, looks good, but was not warm at all, hmmmmm, not good. We turned around and headed back home, about a 5 minute ride. Has to be the pump or a stuck thermostat in my opinion, called the HD dealer close to our daughters house, they have a pump in stock. Anyhow, going to trailer the bike there tomorrow afternoon, they re-arranged the service schedule to fit us in, this is Ukes HD in Kenosha, WI.

Ukes is a pretty good dealer...they should take good care of you.

Ask if you can see the building where they keep the vintage bikes. Not open very much, but ya might get lucky.

I had the same thing on my '15. Had me in and out in about an hour {different dealership} Good Luck.

And don't forget, you are only about 10 minutes from the Jelly Belly factory! Always a fun place to get your sweet tooth Fixed...lol

I had forgot about the Jelly Belly factory JC, also the Cheese Castle is nearby, maybe lunch, lol.

Glad you could get a quick appointment for a repair. Even though the wet head has been our for a while, after all these years with HD, (currently have a 1990 FLHS) it is strange hearing "Harley" and "water pump" in the same sentence.

Glad you could get a quick appointment for a repair. Even though the wet head has been our for a while, after all these years with HD, (currently have a 1990 FLHS) it is strange hearing "Harley" and "water pump" in the same sentence.

That's like years ago when the truckrs were deadheading and somebody asked them what are you carrying and the reply was a load of Volkswagen radiator caps' Can't say that anymore 😃📞

New water pump installed, we're good to go. They worked us in this afternoon around 3 and we were out the door before 5. Thank goodness we weren't out in BFE somewhere when it happened. Kudus to Uke's HD in Kenosha for taking care of us. We have the extended warranty but was curious what the cost would have been for a new pump and labor, service guy said $579.10,

Glad you got it fixed Zammy

Hey Gary!

....Say, didn't you say your tri glide was a 2015?.................I'm just wondering if you have ever changed your radiator fluid? ........How often did the dealer say these pumps go out? (clearly, I'm concerned as to the possibility of this happening to my 2016 as well).......and I also wonder if the water pump goes out in some remote area = "Could the trike still run long enough to find a dealer without damaging engine?" (as it would now kinda be an air cooled engine) (wonder if my mounted Love Jugs might help with cooling enough to limp trike to a dealer?)

...........Cheers!

There was a guy I used to work with looking under his hood one day after work. He couldn't find the 710 cap. ;)

Is that like clicking the fuel cap so the gas pump picture is upside down , means it’s a gravity feed to the engine bypassing the fuel pump :Shrug:

New water pump installed, we're good to go. They worked us in this afternoon around 3 and we were out the door before 5. Thank goodness we weren't out in BFE somewhere when it happened. Kudus to Uke's HD in Kenosha for taking care of us. We have the extended warranty but was curious what the cost would have been for a new pump and labor, service guy said $579.10,

Glad to hear they got you fixed up and back on the road Gary!

reply to Zammy

Hey Zammy!

Thanks for looking up those threads!!!! 15,000 miles = sounds like another shoddy original stock HD part again! (sorry it had "your" number my man).....well at least you got it fixed with minimal inconvenience...........but it kinda worried me so I replaced my coolant yesterday as a possible preventative re. old coolant being a cause for water pump failure (Yeah I know that's not likely what caused the pump failure but it's all I could do to maybe prevent a water pump issue in the future) ....HD says change coolant at 30K miles and I now have 26K miles on my 2016.

......Interestingly, the old coolant looked as new as the NEW coolant and really had no visual signs of degrading color or anything.......but, at least I did it! I Have seen a You tube or two where dudes have had water pump failure and the old coolant appeared kinda nasty when they drained the line....who knows if old dirty coolant could add to water pump stress or not. Maybe.

...........anyway, you now have a new water pump and I now know exactly where my water pump and thermostat are located and have at least "some insight" on what to do should my pump fail in the future! (as i told you, I am new to motorcycles and am constantly learning about things to look out for)

Cheers!

I know its been awhile but thought I might chime in. When I was in VA over the summer my water pump went. Called the dealer closest to Richmond and asked the Service Adviser if it was ok to drive till I could get to the dealer. His response was this-"The Twin Cooled engines are first and foremost, air cooled engines. The "wet heads" just help to cool it down more. As long as I wasn't abusing it ie: full throttle, passing everything on the road, it is still ok to drive." I have an FP3 tuner and set it to watch the temp. I drove the trike home from VA to NY, in 80 plus degree weather and the hottest it read was pulling the hills in PA at 280. I do have a DK Customs Remote oil filter mount and several times at rest areas along the way to let her cool a bit. She still runs great and no noises or dreaded particles in the oil filter when I got back. Moral is, don't feel like you CAN'T drive it when the pump dies, I can tell ya from my experience that they are built tough and can handle a little extra heat to get you where you need to go.

Bob

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Markh853

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Markh853
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png