Roadhawk engine swap to GM Ecotec 2.4L

May 16, 2017
Sun City, Arizona
After destroying a couple of VW engines in the Arizona heat in the last few years I decided to do an engine swap. I decided on a GM ecotec 2.4l. The same engine in the Polaris Slingshot. Kennedy Engineering provide most of the adapters I needed. Getting the automatic tranny right was the biggest challenge. Eventually it came down to getting the vacuum and kick down right.

It runs like a scared rabbit now and dyno's out to almost 200HP. There is plenty of room under the body now to run a turbo later.

Front end stability issues have forced a front end swap I am working on now. The math says a 10 degree triple tree with 49mm tubes will work. Opted for a custom harley triple tree made for touring bikes that self centers. Actually putting it in reversed so it fits and functions right. The front fairing will hide the weird looking reversed install.

Will post pictures of the entire build when it's done in a couple of weeks. Don's Buggy Shop in Peoria AZ and Azzkikr Customs in Peoria AZ provided a huge amount of help and guidance getting this project completed.

Things always seem to go a little better with some help, even if it is just someone confirming what you are doing will work.

I have to agree that all sounds very interesting and we hope it all finish's up nicely for you.

picture of engine swap

a few pictures. still in the works is the tube front end with larger tire and dual disks, ultra slim razor tour pack with 8" JL marine speakers/w JL Audio head unit. Gives me time to think about paint or wrap color.:)

trike 5 small.jpgtrike 6 small.jpgtrike 7 small.jpgtrike 8 small.jpgtrike 9 small.jpgtrike 10 small.jpgtrike 8 small.jpgtrike 4 small.jpgtrike 13 small.jpgtrike 12 small.jpg

The original tour is free to anyone who will pay for packing and shipping.

Regards

Al

Reactions: CAG
Automatic an HP

It's handling the HP bump OK so far. I did need to do some work on CV's and upgrade the cages. I went with an automatic Roadhawk do to health reasons. The controls are now on the floor. Drive by wire throttle on the right and brake on the left. Brake linkage geometry took some work.

The painful part so far was getting the tranny to shift right. It would hit 60 in heartbeat and won't shift. Worked out the bugs over time with a lot of help from Don's Buggies. Nice to find people up for something outside the box.

The current front end wanted to rattle apart at 100mph. I had to tighten the whole darn springer after every fast ride. I hope to have the new up and running in a couple of weeks. 49mm tubes and very beefy billet triple tree should do the trick. Much fatter front tire should also improve handling.

The need for speed. I have had to slow down in life years ago, guess that is what I miss the most ( that feeling of the power and speed ) Now I will be pleased with getting the trike on the road and that feeling of the wind in my face. Awesome looking trike design and I bet it looks nice zipping down the road. Please try to keep us updated on how it all goes as you have a interesting project.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Miketharp

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Miketharp
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png