ironhead with a servi-car rear end

Jun 8, 2011
Newton, KS USA
I mated a servi-car rear end to my 74 sportster, it has a weird issue with 2nd gear. Has anyone that has combined these two have any problems?

All gears work fine but when I'm in 2nd, the motor rpm's won't stay constant, it's as if I'm twisting the throttle back and forth, the bike jerks. Makes no difference what speed or rpm I'm at when I shift to 2nd the bike starts this jerking motion, the engine rpm's go up and down, I shift to 3rd and all is fine. It's not popping in and out of gear, it's like give it gas, stop, give it gas, stop, all the time while in 2nd.

I have tried different drive gears, it now has a 19 tooth sprocket, stock rear sprocket.

Any ideas?

What happens if you keep pressure on the shifter?

You could have a bad shifter dog on second gear from years of abuse?

The transmission was rebuilt, new gears, sleeves, shift forks, anything that was questionable I had them replaced. I have taken the transmission to two other shops, both said it was fine. I have not tried putting pressure on the shifter because it does not come out of gear, or tries to.

When it was a stock 2 wheeler I did not have this problem. That's why I am stumped. Could the extra weight and the gear ratio be the problem?

The transmission was rebuilt, new gears, sleeves, shift forks, anything that was questionable I had them replaced. I have taken the transmission to two other shops, both said it was fine. I have not tried putting pressure on the shifter because it does not come out of gear, or tries to.

When it was a stock 2 wheeler I did not have this problem. That's why I am stumped. Could the extra weight and the gear ratio be the problem?

I dunno bout that

How is your primary chain adjustment?

Also final drive?

Adjusted primary by factory manual, final chain has about 1/2" play.

Interesting, sounds like the engine has a miss @ the RPM in 2nd gear under load, what happens if you pull the clutch in and give it some gas does it wind up good? Is this a right side shifter?

Interesting, sounds like the engine has a miss @ the RPM in 2nd gear under load, what happens if you pull the clutch in and give it some gas does it wind up good? Is this a right side shifter?

Bike is a right hand shift, has electronic ignition. I have by passed 2nd and gone right into 3rd just to see how the bike will react, it will pull up through the rpm range with no problems, it's a little sluggish at first, but it doesn't cut out or miss.

The ignition, could that be the problem? Could it be electric and not mechanical? If electrical why just 2nd gear?

I mated a servi-car rear end to my 74 sportster, it has a weird issue with 2nd gear. Has anyone that has combined these two have any problems?

All gears work fine but when I'm in 2nd, the motor rpm's won't stay constant, it's as if I'm twisting the throttle back and forth, the bike jerks. Makes no difference what speed or rpm I'm at when I shift to 2nd the bike starts this jerking motion, the engine rpm's go up and down, I shift to 3rd and all is fine. It's not popping in and out of gear, it's like give it gas, stop, give it gas, stop, all the time while in 2nd.

I have tried different drive gears, it now has a 19 tooth sprocket, stock rear sprocket.

Any ideas?

Have you found the cause of your issues with 2nd gear ??:Shrug:

Have you found the cause of your issues with 2nd gear ??:Shrug:

No I have not . I put a new clutch in about 50 miles ago. This problem did not show up until I turned it into a trike. This is why it's so frustrating. The rear end is an old mechanical brake set up from a servi-car, converted to disc brakes.

No I have not . I put a new clutch in about 50 miles ago. This problem did not show up until I turned it into a trike. This is why it's so frustrating. The rear end is an old mechanical brake set up from a servi-car, converted to disc brakes.

Hi i,m new to this forum and maybe you can help. I,m up to get a rear-end of a servi-car an would like to do the same to my Ironhead but notice is on the left side and my Iron is on the right is it only a question of turning the axil 180 degress from left to right i don,t have it with me to chek before i buy your help and pics would be appreciated.Thks

Chain binding have you tried lifting rear end and shifting thru gears with no weight on bike.!

Hi i,m new to this forum and maybe you can help. I,m up to get a rear-end of a servi-car an would like to do the same to my Ironhead but notice is on the left side and my Iron is on the right is it only a question of turning the axil 180 degress from left to right i don,t have it with me to chek before i buy your help and pics would be appreciated.Thks

Sportsters and servi-car drive chains were both on right side.

No I have not, I am going to try that. Thanks for the idea.

I just put the bike on stands, it runs through all gears the same, no stumbling in second, no rpm change no lugging. Take bike off stands, go for a ride, go into second and it does it's jerking, and only in second. All chains are adjusted properly, new clutch, everything on this bike is new, all but the rear end. Any more ideas?

I just put the bike on stands, it runs through all gears the same, no stumbling in second, no rpm change no lugging. Take bike off stands, go for a ride, go into second and it does it's jerking, and only in second. All chains are adjusted properly, new clutch, everything on this bike is new, all but the rear end. Any more ideas?

Try by loosing rear and primary a bit at a time up front is factory but rear isn,t maybe arc with some weight on it a couple of thousands of an inch can change the readings.!do you have any pics

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Semiringeye

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Semiringeye
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png