Tri Glide Reverse System Diagnostic Tips

MDO

Reaction score
This is from the Fix My Hog website. I would suspect this applies to the Freewheeler also.

This month, we continue by reviewing a preliminary, basic, diagnostic overview for determining reverse failure on Tri Glide models. Much testing can be completed with, only, a test light and a multimeter. However, a factory Tri Glide supplement manual and a breakout box is also necessary for complete diagnostic testing.There are four DTC’s that can arise for reverse failure. These codes are #s

P1772 – ECM terminal 4 is shorted to ground

P1775 – ECM detects an error within the reverse system(this one is rather vague!)

P1777 – ECM terminal 16 is shorted to ground

P1778 – ECM terminal 16 is shorted to battery + voltage
The reverse system may not properly function if battery voltage is less than 10 VDC (volts, DC). It is best to connect the battery to a charger before and during the performance of any diagnostic testing. If the motorcycle does not start and run correctly, the reverse system may not function properly. Trike rear wheels should be safely lifted off the ground with jack stands beneath the rear axle before performing any diagnostic testing that requires depressing the reverse switch.

It is important to start with these preliminary inspections:

Check all fuses

Verify that battery is fully charged

Verify that the charging system is functioning fully & correctly

Trip and reset the 150 amp circuit breaker

Note: when the trip push button is depressed, the reset lever should extend out

TO RESET, press the reset lever toward the circuit breaker body until an audible click is heard and the lever is fully seated against the circuit breaker body

If the circuit breaker continues to open under, only, light load conditions or the reverse motor will not correctly function after resetting the circuit breaker and resetting fuses, move forward with diagnostic testing per your supplement service manual.

This testing should include:

Reverse enable testing

Backup light testing

Reverse actuator testing

Reverse motor testing

Circuit breaker testing

RCM solenoid control circuit testing

Reverse switch testing

Ground circuit testing

Neutral circuit testing

Reverse enable testing

Accessory circuit testing

I hope this helps someone. I also hope I never need it.

Thanks Jack. Have you ever used a breakout box on a Harley? I didn't know what it was, so I Googled it.

If the Mods approve, maybe they can make this a sticky.

Thanks Jack. Have you ever used a breakout box on a Harley? I didn't know what it was, so I Googled it.

If the Mods approve, maybe they can make this a sticky.

Not on a Harley, on cars and trucks yeah

I have a friend in Daytona that builds them, not cheap but very reliable;)

I'd love to get my greasy little hands on a breakout box.They come up on Ebay now and then.Pricey.Of course you need the cables and overlays or the box is useless.Ive used a DVom with backprobes on my '09 and '14.No dont use paperclips,needles,or other weird crap some of these yingyangs on the internet suggest.

Short out an ECM/BCM to save 50 bucks is stupid.Nothing says STROKEJOB like someone that uses piercing probes. Kick that guy in the nuts.Had breakfast with a hand at the Flying J in Oklahoma City.

He told me an indy was trying to find an open in his Dynas main harness and pierced about 3 dozen holes then sealed em up with crazy glue.About 6 months later he needed a new harness cause the boy wonder missed sealing up some holes and moisture got in there.Yeah kick him in the nuts too.

Last edited by a moderator:
​If you've gotten to the point that you've determined your reverse motor is shot, skip going to HD for a new one and take your old one to a local electric motor repair shop. The repair shop will rebuild it for FAR less than HD charges for a new one.

PC

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wheeza
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png