Definition of a Sailor

Here's a question about sailors and probably the most famous; Popeye, was he a Chief Petty Officer? I did see a challenge coin of Popeye as one. I know this is a bit off topic, but maybe someone may have the answer. We had been talking about old cartoons and that had come up. I always thought he was a regular enlisted man.

Attachments

• s-l300.jpg
    s-l300.jpg
    28.7 KB · Views: 129
Here's a question about sailors and probably the most famous; Popeye, was he a Chief Petty Officer? I did see a challenge coin of Popeye as one. I know this is a bit off topic, but maybe someone may have the answer. We had been talking about old cartoons and that had come up. I always thought he was a regular enlisted man.

A chief IS a regular enlisted man ... :D. But, I've never seen a Popeye with rating insignia's. Your challenge coin does show him as a chief, but, the comic strip did not. He wears a "Dixie Cup" for a lot of his strips, then another cap that could be a chief's cap, but there is no insignia on it. His uniform is more inline with the non-chief enlisted uni. I guess, as long as he was a sailor, he should of made Chief by then, but, all the fighting might of ruined that ... LOL

Popeye

A chief IS a regular enlisted man ... :D. But, I've never seen a Popeye with rating insignia's. Your challenge coin does show him as a chief, but, the comic strip did not. He wears a "Dixie Cup" for a lot of his strips, then another cap that could be a chief's cap, but there is no insignia on it. His uniform is more inline with the non-chief enlisted uni. I guess, as long as he was a sailor, he should of made Chief by then, but, all the fighting might of ruined that ... LOL

That pretty much says it all.......he was just a REGULAR guy, one of the rough/tumble workers,

:laugh:

Bout nails it Bubba.:clapping:

Served many MidRats to drunken shipmates, and had only one actually challenge me to a fight for not serving "fresh" chow at the midnite hour...:p

Popeye was definitely not "Chief" material. Maybe he was "promoted" posthumously???:Shrug:

Bout nails it Bubba.:clapping:

Served many MidRats to drunken shipmates, and had only one actually challenge me to a fight for not serving "fresh" chow at the midnite hour...:p

Popeye was definitely not "Chief" material. Maybe he was "promoted" posthumously???:Shrug:

Thanks Pete. You just gave me a trivia question “When did Popeye retire?” I think I’ll use it during CPO initiation this year when I run into the selectees at the Navy base in Charleston S.C..

Bubba

Straying off topic but, I thought they closed NAVSTA Chasn a few years back?

I served 2 years of "shore duty" there in the early 80's. That was one base where you wouldn't walk alone at night outside the gates...:mad:

Yes it does. I was initiated in 1989 and I still remember it like it was yesterday.

I did mine in 84 and it's still really fresh in my mind. I can still taste the Ballute (-5 sp). Of course, I made mine sooooo much worse by getting the Chief insignia tattoo on my left hand before I was initiated .. not a move I recommend.

Straying off topic but, I thought they closed NAVSTA Chasn a few years back?

I served 2 years of "shore duty" there in the early 80's. That was one base where you wouldn't walk alone at night outside the gates...:mad:
You’re right! It’s not Navsta Chasn anymore. It’s Joint Base Charleston. Naval Weapons Station and Nuclear Power School are down there along with a bunch of support units. They’ve got a decent exchange and such too. It’s about 145 miles from my house, so I only go down there once a year to harass the selectees.

Bubba

In 1972 I had two initiations, the first on the ship (on my actual advancement day) which of necessity was pretty mild since the ship was at sea chasing a carrier (plane guard). The second was at the Pearl Harbor CPO club on a Saturday, no less, and needless to say it was not so mild.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Markh853

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Markh853
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png