Safety Harness for my Cerbrel Palsy Grandson

B25bsaboy

Apr 27, 2018
Calgary, Alberta
Thought I would pose the question to the board.

I have a 2008 Honda GL1800 Lehman Monarch and one of the reasons I bought it was to take my 12 year old grandson riding with me. He has cerbrel palsy on the right side, can walk reasonably well but only has the use of his left hand. Want to give the little man some pleasures and having him riding with me will be one of them.

Has anybody got any suggestions about some sort of safety harness to make sure he doesn’t come off the back passenger seat? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

I'm making this recommendation based on the belief you understand your grandson's capabilities and limitations.

If he understands fully what he is doing, then I would install a set of Kuryakyn passenger armrests. After helping him mount the trike, simply tie the two armrests together with some type of quick disconnect system that will keep the armrest from moving outwards. That should prevent him from sliding off. Depending on his physical size, you might even have him wear a life preserver to fill in the space so he is "tucked" in securely and can't be jostled from side to side.

This may take some trial and error but I think you can come up with safe system that will allow him to share the joys of riding with you. Best of luck and here's hoping for many wonderful memories.

First, let me applaud you in your efforts to provide him with some simple pleasures that might not otherwise be available to him.

No comparison here, so don't take this wrong.

I had a Doberman that loved to ride. He loved sitting in the rear seat. I ended up getting a harness and using two leashes, one on each side to the side of the harness. He could of slid his back side of the seat, but, he never did.

You might be able to get like a climbing harness and add D rings to give you more attach points. I do like the life preserver idea, although it may get warm.

Good luck with this, it's an honorable pursuit.

First, let me applaud you in your efforts to provide him with some simple pleasures that might not otherwise be available to him.

No comparison here, so don't take this wrong.

I had a Doberman that loved to ride. He loved sitting in the rear seat. I ended up getting a harness and using two leashes, one on each side to the side of the harness. He could of slid his back side of the seat, but, he never did.

You might be able to get like a climbing harness and add D rings to give you more attach points. I do like the life preserver idea, although it may get warm.

Good luck with this, it's an honorable pursuit.

Excellent idea, as I will go to the local Mountain Equipment Co-op and check out some climbing harness equipment. Thank you for the idea!

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Markh853

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Markh853
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png