Hydroplaning!

Jan 11, 2018
Upper Hudson Valley, NY
Got caught in a wicked bad rain storm in southern Dutchess County yesterday and with no place to hide I had to ride it out. The combination of running too fast (trying to get back to the stable) and the road becoming a river caused the bike to get up on top of the water a couple times....very unsettling feeling and slammed home the fact that I'd better slow down or I may not get back to the stable at all!

Just somethin' to keep in mind.

Got caught in a wicked bad rain storm in southern Dutchess County yesterday and with no place to hide I had to ride it out. The combination of running too fast (trying to get back to the stable) and the road becoming a river caused the bike to get up on top of the water a couple times....very unsettling feeling and slammed home the fact that I'd better slow down or I may not get back to the stable at all!

I got caught sunday in heavy rain same deal scare the crap out of you .

What town of Dutchess are ya at Dan ?

I had a similar experience riding thru Georgia 2 years ago on the tail end of a tropical storm

Too much standing water on the road, when I felt the rear end wanting to come round, I slowed down, no braking just backing off throttle in small increments

I had a similar experience riding thru Georgia 2 years ago on the tail end of a tropical storm

Too much standing water on the road, when I felt the rear end wanting to come round, I slowed down, no braking just backing off throttle in small increments

Same exact situation Jack....front & rear fixing to change places! I just eased the steering to point the wheel straight ahead (like a rudder) and slowly reduced throttle....any sudden moves under those circumstances, good chance yer gonna broadside into oncoming traffic....of which there was plenty!

Same exact situation Jack....front & rear fixing to change places! I just eased the steering to point the wheel straight ahead (like a rudder) and slowly reduced throttle....any sudden moves under those circumstances, good chance yer gonna broadside into oncoming traffic....of which there was plenty!

After I re gained control, I followed a semi for a hundred or so miles

He pushed a lot of the water off the road so I tucked in behind him, giving my self plenty of braking room;)

I'm on the NY/Mass border just south of I-90

I just bought a 2016 freewheeler , did u do a lift on the rear of yours ? what brand fairing u have? May be we can meet 4 ride one day, we go to Lebanon valley dirt track every Saturday night . THanks Dan

I just bought a 2016 freewheeler , did u do a lift on the rear of yours ? what brand fairing u have? May be we can meet 4 ride one day, we go to Lebanon valley dirt track every Saturday night . THanks Dan

Hey Dan, No lift, just replaced the stock shocks with Bitubos, same length....the ride is much, much improved.

Fairing is a Memphis Shades with spoiler windshield.

A ride sounds great, I'm retired and ride nearly every day, just let me know.

Thanks, glad you made it to a dry bed of hay! It reminds us all not to over ride our abilities or the weather!:clapping:

You nailed it Robert....I was going about 20 mph faster than I should have been trying to get the misery over quicker....exactly how tragedy happens!

I did the same thing on two wheels and paid dearly for it. I kept saying I was going too fast for conditions but just wanted to get home. I didn't make it. I have a brand new artificial ankle as my reward for being stupid. Continuing to do 70mph in a absolute downpour is not advisable. Even on a trike. I have no memory of what happened but I don't think I hydroplaned but do think I probably chopped the throttle which kicked the rear end around, then the tumbling started. I do remember starting to back off because I thought I saw a yellow sign. I've looked at the area closely and that's the best explanation I have. It just happened to be a nasty S-turn to boot instead of the nice sweeping turns I had been riding. I do really wish I knew exactly what happened but many say, no you don't. I still do because you can learn from mistakes. But the big mistake here is going too fast for conditions. Listen to that little thing saying to slow down. It might save your hide. Literally.

I did the same thing on two wheels and paid dearly for it. I kept saying I was going too fast for conditions but just wanted to get home. I didn't make it. I have a brand new artificial ankle as my reward for being stupid. Continuing to do 70mph in a absolute downpour is not advisable. Even on a trike. I have no memory of what happened but I don't think I hydroplaned but do think I probably chopped the throttle which kicked the rear end around, then the tumbling started. I do remember starting to back off because I thought I saw a yellow sign. I've looked at the area closely and that's the best explanation I have. It just happened to be a nasty S-turn to boot instead of the nice sweeping turns I had been riding. I do really wish I knew exactly what happened but many say, no you don't. I still do because you can learn from mistakes. But the big mistake here is going too fast for conditions. Listen to that little thing saying to slow down. It might save your hide. Literally.

Jeez, sorry you had to go thru this!

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
astrocreep

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
astrocreep
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png