RPM skip in 5th gear only

Nov 15, 2012
Delray Beach Florida
I mentioned this a few weeks back and its still doing this.

Running down the road at say 55 mph and in 5th gear. Engines doing 21 to 2200 rpm. Give it some gas rather then downshift and the engine skips a beat for a 100 to 200 rpm. Fells like its the clutch slipping. It only does this once in a while. Cant make the trike do it when I want it to. Does not do this in any other gear.

FI miss maybe??

28K on the bike. No engine services have been done yet. Other then regular oil changes.

Its been doing this for the last say 2K miles or so.

OEM plugs still look good burning right so is the gap.

Any suggestions??

Ive been using Aims oil JASO rated 10w-40 for the last 10K miles.

You neve said what kinda trike but I had a harley road glide with a 96 ci in 6th gear did the same thing i put an extra plate in the clutch pack never did it again barnett sells the hole kit or get an extra plate

Mine did it for a while. problem was not enough clutch. put in a 480lb AMI spring. fixed it.Then Put in a clutch ez and fixed my lt hand cramp.

You neve said what kinda trike but I had a harley road glide with a 96 ci in 6th gear did the same thing i put an extra plate in the clutch pack never did it again barnett sells the hole kit or get an extra plate

Your right I absolutely forgot.

Its a 2010 Gold Wing trike. 28K isn't even a warm up for its engine let alone to have a clutch issue so young.

Might be a spring pack for a Wings clutch. But truthfully. This bike has needed zero anything since new. If it does exist. As a V twin guy I really don't know about it.

What you did works well with my RoadStar clutch too.

GW is a whole different animal.

Next time you ride it, after shifting to 5th gear, gag the throttle, if the RPM goes high and stays there for a second or 2 you have a slipping clutch IMO

Reactions: MDO
Next time you ride it, after shifting to 5th gear, gag the throttle, if the RPM goes high and stays there for a second or 2 you have a slipping clutch IMO

As I said in the OP I cant make it do it. Under any condition at will.

Just rolling along at 55ish 2200 rpm give it a bit of gas and it gains 100-200 rpm for a split second.

Riding along normally. I don't shift into 5th until 65 mph or so and it just chugs along fine from there.

As I said in the OP I cant make it do it. Under any condition at will.

Just rolling along at 55ish 2200 rpm give it a bit of gas and it gains 100-200 rpm for a split second.

Riding along normally. I don't shift into 5th until 65 mph or so and it just chugs along fine from there.

You say in gains 100-200 rpm. What do you feel the bike doing? Does it actually hesitate? Does engine sound correspond to rpm drop?

You say in gains 100-200 rpm. What do you feel the bike doing? Does it actually hesitate? Does engine sound correspond to rpm drop?

It feels like a clutch slipping but for a split second.

With a 100-200 rpm increase. No rpm drop. Then normal. For being in 5th gear at 50ish mph. When I know I shoudnt be. But Im going with traffic at this point. Steady rpm. Hit the throttle just a tad to keep up the speed. Accelerating lightly....feels like a slipping clutch for a split second, rpm increases then bike rolls along like normal.

Almost like a burp.

Now if Im accelerating lightly say in 4th at 45ish at 50ish put it in 5th and continue to accelerate it will pass right on through that miss point 2100 rpm like nothing at all is wrong.

A Gold Wings hydraulic clutch is nothing like a V-Twins spring loaded at all. Quarter inch of clutch lever is all one needs to change gears. If I even use it at all upshifting.

I have a bad habit left over from my road racing days.

Clutch?? what clutch?? Up or downshifting.

A lot of the time. The only time besides being at a stop or in 1st and shifting through neutral to second. I very rarely use the clutch once in 2nd up or downshifting.

V Twin, Gold Wing. 400+ HP Z28 set up for racing.

I do know how to shift. None of my vehicles has ever done this. I have had many a clutch go in 40 years.

But then this GW is the 1st fuel injected anything Ive ever owned...... So if its FI related?? I wouldn't know it. Nor what or where to look.

It feels like a clutch slipping but for a split second.

With a 100-200 rpm increase. No rpm drop. Then normal. For being in 5th gear at 50ish mph. When I know I shoudnt be. But Im going with traffic at this point. Steady rpm. Hit the throttle just a tad to keep up the speed. Accelerating lightly....feels like a slipping clutch for a split second, rpm increases then bike rolls along like normal.

Almost like a burp.

Now if Im accelerating lightly say in 4th at 45ish at 50ish put it in 5th and continue to accelerate it will pass right on through that miss point 2100 rpm like nothing at all is wrong.

A Gold Wings hydraulic clutch is nothing like a V-Twins spring loaded at all. Quarter inch of clutch lever is all one needs to change gears. If I even use it at all upshifting.

I have a bad habit left over from my road racing days.

Clutch?? what clutch?? Up or downshifting.

A lot of the time. The only time besides being at a stop or in 1st and shifting through neutral to second. I very rarely use the clutch once in 2nd up or downshifting.

V Twin, Gold Wing. 400+ HP Z28 set up for racing.

I do know how to shift. None of my vehicles has ever done this. I have had many a clutch go in 40 years.

But then this GW is the 1st fuel injected anything Ive ever owned...... So if its FI related?? I wouldn't know it. Nor what or where to look.

just a SWAG, but I think this is related to the fuel injection and sensor inputs. Way over my head. A really good GW mechanic might be able to sort this for ya. Good luck.

Just sayin. But the engine is mechanically hooked to the rear wheels, if in fact the engine raises 1 to 200 rpm without a road speed change well there has to to be slippage in the drive train. My old suzuki intruder has a hydraulic clutch. When the relief port gets clogged with contamination corrosion from dirty fluid, then running on the highway would cause the fluid to expand because of the heat. When the fluid can't escape back to the reservoir it puts pressure on the clutch causing slippage. Perhaps you have a similar problem. It didn't take hardly any movement at the lever to disegage the clutch.

RPM skip

I mentioned this a few weeks back and its still doing this.

http://www.glriders.com/showthread.php?t=671&

Running down the road at say 55 mph and in 5th gear. Engines doing 21 to 2200 rpm. Give it some gas rather then downshift and the engine skips a beat for a 100 to 200 rpm. Fells like its the clutch slipping. It only does this once in a while. Cant make the trike do it when I want it to. Does not do this in any other gear.

FI miss maybe??

28K on the bike. No engine services have been done yet. Other then regular oil changes.

Its been doing this for the last say 2K miles or so.

OEM plugs still look good burning right so is the gap.

Any suggestions??

Ive been using Aims oil JASO rated 10w-40 for the last 10K miles.

http://www.glriders.com/showthread.php?t=671&

I believe you said you are using Aims oil. Is it metric 4 cycle? If not the oil you are using will have friction modifiers that are not good for the wet clutch on a Gold Wing. Oil with friction modifiers will cause the clutch to slip.

I believe you said you are using Aims oil. Is it metric 4 cycle? If not the oil you are using will have friction modifiers that are not good for the wet clutch on a Gold Wing. Oil with friction modifiers will cause the clutch to slip.

He said the oil he is using is JASO Rated....So no modifiers.....:Shrug:

I ran the crap out of the bike. Gunning it at all speeds and gears.

Then gave up and on the ride home 2100 rpm give it some gas to pass a car and it skipped a beat.

Im almost 101% sure its an FI related deal.

Might just be for those who are familiar with "Ghost Shifting" which my GW has also done in the past.

Just one of those things Ill have to live with.

Unless it becomes a more frequent "annoyance".

Hondas do some strange things on their own occasionally. No rhyme or reason. Just is.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hankypanky55

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hankypanky55
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png