I need to know.

just keep your powder dry.last forever. KEEP YOUR POWDER DRY/////

ThumbUpThumbUp

Keeping the powder dry is the key. This also includes humidity.

Lola, make sure the gun safe is in a climate controlled environment. If the gun safe is not ventilated, then it's a good idea to open the safe for some climate controlled ventilation from time to time.

I had a can of powder once that was over 35 years old. Zero rust but I question if it was any good so loaded a few rounds. Not one bit of trouble. Still good. No moisture being the key. I didn't realize it was there but was in a box in my attic. So it saw a lot of extreme heat. I figure that alone would kill it but it didn't.

also protect from excessive heat.

That's the very reason I thought the powdered over-looked in my attic would have been no good. And here in Texas I can assure you it gets hot in attics. Although that attic did have exhaust fans. I still have been in that attic when they were on and it was damn hot up there. I guess heat isn't as critical as moisture but still I thought extreme swings in temps would have done it in. It was up there in the winter too and we get damn cold in winter too. I never saw it below 10º though but that's still a big swing in temps. Just think water is more important being my experience.:Shrug:

ammo and powder life span.

Just seconding what has already been said. Heat and moisture kill ammo and stored powder but if stored properly both can outlive most of us.

I have a fair amount of WWII 45 and 30-06 ammo. Every few years I pull a bullet and check.....bad powder SMELLS BAD. Good powder smells rather sweet and most smells a bit like ether. Once it passes the smell test I do the shooting test. Store cool and dry if possible.

Bad powder actually makes good fertilizer so if you do find some just sprinkle it on the lawn; the grass loves those nitrates.

When in doubt throw it out; no return on a chance taken.

Typically I load and shoot about 5000 rounds every year. If I add 22 ammo its more like 8000 rounds. So I go through a lot of powder; both old and new. I use to buy a lot of military pull down powder but that has kind of dried up over the past few years. Too much liability I believe on those doing the pull down and disposal.

JamesP

About a year ago a team of Egyptian Archaeologists discovered a Priestess 4,400-year old tomb near the pyramids outside Cairo.. And what they found inside when they opened it was a case of Ammo that was wrapped in Flax Linen and coved with Natron powder and it was laying there for all that time.. When the ammo was then tested they determined that it was still operable...;)-;)......

P/S...They also found a Twinkie...And they found that it was also operable.. [AKA Edible]....

About a year ago a team of Egyptian Archaeologists discovered a Priestess 4,400-year old tomb near the pyramids outside Cairo.. And what they found inside when they opened it was a case of Ammo that was wrapped in Flax Linen and coved with Natron powder and it was laying there for all that time.. When the ammo was then tested they determined that it was still operable...;)-;)......

P/S...They also found a Twinkie...And they found that it was also operable.. [AKA Edible]....

I have no problem with the twinky.

As for the ammo? hmmm, 3000 years maybe but 4400......that's a stretch.

JamesP

shelll liife

I'm still shooting paper shotgun shells from the 30's occasionally and a a few years ago I acquired about 35 rounds of .45ACP marked with a 1913 headstamp that came out of an old leaky garage.two failed to fire the other 33 went BANG!!! that should tell yu something about todays modern ammo ;-)

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PERuss

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PERuss
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png