Texas Heat

We are having a cool day for the week.

San Antonio, TX

Friday 4:00 PM

Sunny

sunny.png
102 °F | °C

Swamp coolers are only effective in far, far west Texas; useless in high humidity areas of the state. 108° in DFW today, 110° on tap for tomorrow, and the heat goes on.

Swamp coolers are only effective in far, far west Texas; useless in high humidity areas of the state. 108° in DFW today, 110° on tap for tomorrow, and the heat goes on.

You are right about the swamp coolers...and that’s even further west than Midland. Swamps used to be effective here but not so anymore ,,, ever since they built Lake Amistad and JB Thomas. They changed our atmosphere enough to drop the swamps and go to regular a/c. Still...hot is hot! Supposed to get a break on temps next week...back to the 90s. Hang on!

You are right about the swamp coolers...and that’s even further west than Midland. Swamps used to be effective here but not so anymore ,,, ever since they built Lake Amistad and JB Thomas. They changed our atmosphere enough to drop the swamps and go to regular a/c. Still...hot is hot! Supposed to get a break on temps next week...back to the 90s. Hang on!

Lived in Monahans for a few months in '64. A swamp cooler could freeze you out of a place, but I liked the nights - open the windows and grab the blankets 'cause it was gonna get cold.

I'm west of y'all in Texas in Lovington NM and tomorrow we'll see 100*. :shok: Today was 102*. :tumbleweed:

I stay indoors, nothing outside I need. Right now its 84*, run the AC and stay cool folks.

I was out riding a few days ago when it was a cool 104º.:p Saw a pop up shower and actually rode to it. If was a downpour but inside the temp dropped to 80º. Very refreshing.:clapping: I was completely dry by the time I got home 30 minutes later and back in 104º. Was 110º here yesterday and I was out shoveling dirt of all things. Cloths was wetter than when I was in the downpour. Was actually rather dry comparatively. Was dripping wet yesterday of my own sweat.:(

I was out riding a few days ago when it was a cool 104º.:p Saw a pop up shower and actually rode to it. If was a downpour but inside the temp dropped to 80º. Very refreshing.:clapping: I was completely dry by the time I got home 30 minutes later and back in 104º. Was 110º here yesterday and I was out shoveling dirt of all things. Cloths was wetter than when I was in the downpour. Was actually rather dry comparatively. Was dripping wet yesterday of my own sweat.:(

I've never tried this, but a fellow I did business with told me when riding in desert climates him and his wife would put on snowmobile suits that were soaked with water. As the water evaporates the suit keeps you cool, or in his words, down right cold. Seems legit as out in far west Texas we would use wet towels around our necks to keep cooler during the day. May get the opportunity to try it out one of these days.

I've never tried this, but a fellow I did business with told me when riding in desert climates him and his wife would put on snowmobile suits that were soaked with water. As the water evaporates the suit keeps you cool, or in his words, down right cold. Seems legit as out in far west Texas we would use wet towels around our necks to keep cooler during the day. May get the opportunity to try it out one of these days.

It actually does work. When I was doing scca road racing I would water soak my nomex suit with water to keepcool . ☎️

I have a KEWL vest that you soak and put under an outer jacket...leave the outer jacket open a little to get the wind through - works great.

On a 107* day riding back from Lubbock we stopped at each little town’s car wash and sprayed each other (not the bikes) down. Dang near froze to death for the first several miles. Then by the time we got to the next little town we were almost dry and would stop and spray again. It was either that or we were going to stop and share a cheap motel room for the afternoon. But, had to get on home - had dogs to feed.

^^^^^ Yep. I'll pour a bottle of water down the back and front of my neck in Wichita Falls and by the time I'm at Henrietta just 18 miles down the road I'm almost dry except the swamp-ass part. By the time I'm home, another 25 miles, I'm wishing I had another bottle of water. But yes, even in this extreme heat, those first couple of miles are downright cold like that. Water is like gold this time of year. Just can't have too much.:clapping: Well, unless you drink too much which I assure you, you can do.:(

Saw a fresh Weather Channel prediction where they are expecting the temps to stay higher than normal through October out here. Oh joy...

Hopefully we’ll get numerous breaks such as coming up tomorrow..... 107 today.... 97 tomorrow.

They are charging so much for water out here that with these temps most people are just letting the lawn go. I’m barely keeping my front yard alive but am trying real hard to keep good grass in the backyard for the dogs to enjoy. Have put soaker hoses around the trees.

Morning Carla:wave4:

We climbed to 106* yesterday, and that's without the heat index added in :xzqxz: forecast today 107-109*

Everyone try and stay cool, keep hydrated...watch out for our pets too 🐶 🐱

H e a t

We just returned from a 3 week trip on our trikes, hitting 12 States on a large

portion of route 66 (and hi-40), GRÉÂT 5,000 + miles but VERY HÔT, Texas was

a béar.

Thank goodness for those Harley cooling vests, WORKED GRÉÂT,

First time we havé tried thèm........helped c o o l my bacon!

:laugh: Also turned 99 thou on my 2010 trike!

:)

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stag man

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stag man
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png