2008 steering column

If it's the one under the hood, I replaced mine. It's fairly east. It is from a Ranger. Rick

Under the hood? I'm talking about what we all put the key into and start the stallion with. I need to replace the ignition switch and that is why I wanted to find out what vehicle it comes from exactly so I can tell my mechanic what to buy.

I was talking about the cream colored one under the hood that the key connects to. It has all the electrical connections on it. It is normally under the dash connected to the steering column. It gets pretty dirty under the hood and the contacts go bad. I replaced mine because I had to turn the key very hard in order to get the starter to engage. I replaced the switch and everything works normally now. Sorry, but I thought that was the one you were talking about. Rick

If all else fails, just go to a Ford dealer and they can tell you, mention it is from the 07 Ranger.

tomg

You just told me that it's for an 07 ranger. That right there is what I was asking for. I needed to know what vehicle it belongs to. Thank you. I have the same problem, I have to turn the key all the way forward and force it beyond that to start it and that doesn't always work so that is why I want to replace it.

Some of the ignition switches were installed one Cog off. This will not allow you to start the engine if the steering wheel is in the full upright position. Lower the steering wheel and see if you can start the motor that's the way I have to start mine.

I actually left mine that way instead of having the ignition switch repositioned because it's sort of a security thing you leave your steering wheel in the up position and you walk off and leave the keys in it unless somebody knows they can't start it

I actually left mine that way instead of having the ignition switch repositioned because it's sort of a security thing you leave your steering wheel in the up position and you walk off and leave the keys in it unless somebody knows they can't start it

If I turn the key hard it will start every time with the steering column in the full up position. I'm not going to take a chance of it not starting so I'm going to talk to my mechanic and see about replacing it with a proper working one.

If I turn the key hard it will start every time with the steering column in the full up position. I'm not going to take a chance of it not starting so I'm going to talk to my mechanic and see about replacing it with a proper working one.

That is actually different for mine being a cog off. I can turn the key but it will not start if in the full upright position. I agree to get it checked. You probably can get a get/switch at a junkyard and save some money. I would venture to say that they would even show youbgow easy ot is to change. If you do it yourself, I would tape the area and mark good reference points to align the new one going in. Good luck. Tomg

That is actually different for mine being a cog off. I can turn the key but it will not start if in the full upright position. I agree to get it checked. You probably can get a get/switch at a junkyard and save some money. I would venture to say that they would even show youbgow easy ot is to change. If you do it yourself, I would tape the area and mark good reference points to align the new one going in. Good luck. Tomg

Mine doesn't matter if the column is fully up or down, the key acts the same in both positions. I went to see my mechanic today just to show the Stallion to him, he took a look at the key and tried to start it multiple times. He told me that turning it fully and also forcing it at the end is a sign that the switch that is attached to the key assembly is worn out. It's not actually the key assembly itself. He told me that the switch will be $70 and should take about 10 minutes or less to install. He also told me on a lot of Fords that the switch is adjustable forwards and backwards to help compensate for having to turn the key so far forward but on my Stallion it's not adjustable so I have to replace the switch.

Maybe this information will help you or someone else out in the future.

On a 2008 steering column can some one tell me what what vehicle its from? I need to replace the ignition switch.

When I was at a Ford dealer several years ago the tech informed me that the steering column (per part number) is from a 2000 – 2002 Ford Ranger.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
neil wright

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
neil wright
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png