Nearly taken out by a Hawk....a big one!

Reaction score
Cruising on a back road along the edge of a cornfield on this nice morning, the hawk must have been right at the edge of the cornfield grabbing up some breakfast but I didn't see him...yet! All of a sudden there was a large bird a couple feet away from my helmet, coming right at me. Luckily ducked low enough for him to barely clear my helmet.

Scared the ba-jeebus out of both of us! Pretty sure I heard him squawk 'asshole' as he went careening by!! :laugh:

I am just back from a ride with winds @ 24, gusting to 30. I’m on top of an overpass at 65mph and this lone pigeon is descending at 11:00 and flailing about. SMACK!

I guess he couldn’t handle the winds (against him) and the suction my trike created. Never could see in the mirrors where he went after impact - suspected he was tangled up in the trike....but luckily NOPE! Just a few feathers and some gray dust - no damage. Poor pigeon.

Had a hawk just about take my head off diving for prey in the tall grass on the shoulder of the road a few years ago.

I'm used to scanning the edge of the forest for deer, bear, dogs and small animals. It had never occurred to me to look up.

Cruising on a back road along the edge of a cornfield on this nice morning, the hawk must have been right at the edge of the cornfield grabbing up some breakfast but I didn't see him...yet! All of a sudden there was a large bird a couple feet away from my helmet, coming right at me. Luckily ducked low enough for him to barely clear my helmet.

Scared the ba-jeebus out of both of us! Pretty sure I heard him squawk 'asshole' as he went careening by!! :laugh:

Yep the side of the road is the Red tailed hawk's favorite feeding spot, The'll pick up road kill just like the turkey buzzards do....I had my run-in's with them a few times over the years....:cxtv:

And as a side note...

If you do hit one take it home throw it on the barbecue ,And if you don't over cook it and you'll swear your eating Bald Eagle...:laugh:.......

Yep the side of the road is the Red tailed hawk's favorite feeding spot, The'll pick up road kill just like the turkey buzzards do....I had my run-in's with them a few times over the years....:cxtv:

And as a side note...

If you do hit one take it home throw it on the barbecue ,And if you don't over cook it and you'll swear your eating Bald Eagle...:laugh:.......

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

And as a side note...

Aaah , finally Somthing that doesn’t taste like chicken 🐓

Thanks everybody, it was over so quickly there really wasn't time to get very disturbed. Sure glad I didn't whack him tho, or vice versa, he was a pretty spectacular bird.

Animals have always been my downfall....back in the day I hit an eastern brush wolf up north in the Adirondacks, poor guy, I broke his back and had to put him down. Felt terrible about that. :(

I just took a bird of the side of my helmet about a week ago. Wasn't a hawk but scared the heck out of me just the same, never saw where he came from. I was fine but he didn't fare as well.

Coming home late one night just below Fairview Pass I had a big owl smack me in the helmet. No damage to me or the bike(on a 2 wheeler at the time) but it sure did in the owl.Glad you're ok. Bird stricks can be dangerous.

Just flip "The bird"

:cool:

(Glad you are ok!...bird strikes are bad I hit a dove once with my Shovel E-Glide and it damaged my fairing... glad it was not my face)

Just flip "The bird"

:cool:

(Glad you are ok!...bird strikes are bad I hit a dove once with my Shovel E-Glide and it damaged my fairing... glad it was not my face)

He sure flipped me the bird!! :D

I had a small bird hit me on top of my helmet once, no damage other than the bird but I was really surprised at how hard he hit, it felt like someone whacked my helmet with a ballpeen hammer.

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Obsidian
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png