Maintenance time

Bucco33!

Jun 14, 2018
Daytona Beach Fla. USA
I bought a set of Rhino ramps to help with my maintenance as my Pit Bull lift is limited now that Pearl is triked. I used 1 on the front wheel to drive up on and changed my oil & filter. Once up on the chock I kicked the chock to the side (lesson learned from forum member)!

Made for easy removal of the front of the belly pan and removing drain bolt and filter! I use Rotella T-5 15W40 and a Pure one PL16410 filter. Milage at 92,574. I put both chocks behind rear wheels and backed the trike up on them. I figure with me at 260 and the wife at 15^ish and all the backing 2 up and with a trailer we've done it ain't hurting the starter motor! Went up and on no problem with me off of the trike. I installed a chrome bumper and Roadsmith mud flaps and adjusted shocks 2 up from bottom. Experimenting with shock settings and tire pressures. 30psi in rear for 2 up seems to work best and 40psi in front Cobra. I have Traxxion cartridges and springs in the front and a Kuryaken fork brace.

So far I'm liking this kit but am thinking of either lowering my footpegs or removing them all together and putting my 13EE's on the running boards as my knees are to far up in the air for long rides! I also need to invest in some highway pegs.

Anyway I've picked up some valuable "how to" tip's on this forum that have made owning and maintaining my trike much easier and I want to say THANKS to all that contribute!

Jamie,

It will big time. Start at 22lbs, that is what myself and the vast majority of members here have run for years.

BIG difference in ride quality so far on our flat hot roads! Thanks for the info!! I'm set at 23psi by my digital gauges and my TPMS registers one pound lighter at 22psi. I was going by the manufacturers recommendation. Do you raise the pressures when in the twisty's or if 2 up and towing a trailer? As a two wheeler and as a darksider I ran my ROF tires at 28 to 34 psi depending on my situation. Just wondering how much that applies to a trike!?

Thanks again for helping out a trike "newbie"

BIG difference in ride quality so far on our flat hot roads! Thanks for the info!! I'm set at 23psi by my digital gauges and my TPMS registers one pound lighter at 22psi. I was going by the manufacturers recommendation. Do you raise the pressures when in the twisty's or if 2 up and towing a trailer? As a two wheeler and as a darksider I ran my ROF tires at 28 to 34 psi depending on my situation. Just wondering how much that applies to a trike!?

Told ya! It makes a HUGE difference. Just leave at what you have it at, it will handle the twisties, two up and trailering with no problem.

Bucco beat me to the punch . . .

Bucco,

You must be psychotic! You posted almost verbatim what I was about to do. I too was a Dark Sider, and ran my ROF Dunlop Wintersport @ 28PSI. I got 30k miles+ out of each of 3 such tires on my '04 GL1800.

I was going to ask the same tire pressure and shock setting questions. My SO and I are pretty near 500lbs. when two-up. I was hoping that I didn't have to play with TP's and shock settings each time I needed to go two-up. I ride 120 miles round trip on I-95 between Fredericksburg, VA and Washington, DC almost daily, solo. But we go two-up on the weekends and some evenings. I'm looking for suggestions for a "Happy Medium" to avoid all the extra work.

All recommendations will be considered. Thanx in advance . . .

Dave Calahan

Fredericksburg, VA

Last edited:
Bucco,

You must be psychotic! You posted almost verbatim what I was about to do. I too was a Dark Sider, and ran my ROF Dunlop Wintersport @ 28PSI. I got 30k miles+ out of each of 3 such tires on my '04 GL1800.

I was going to ask the same tire pressure and shock setting questions. My SO and I are pretty near 500lbs. when two-up. I was hoping that I didn't have to play with TP's and shock settings each time I needed to go two-up. I ride 120 miles round trip on I-95 between Fredericksburg, VA and Washington, DC almost daily, solo. But we go two-up on the weekends and some evenings. I'm looking for suggestions for a "Happy Medium" to avoid all the extra work.

All recommendations will be considered. Thanx in advance . . .

Dave Calahan

Fredericksburg, VA

My wife loved the “psychotic” description😂!

Dave I would listen to Lucky and Papa Zook and their recommendations. They’ve been at this trike thing a heck of a lot longer then me!

I would check your shock settings also. I’ve settled on 2 up from the bottom for now (it is a pain in the rear to do for full sized folk😳 without a lift) . I don’t envy your commute at all😱 . Good luck and be safe!

I know many like the 22 -24 psi in the rears. However, for me, I have found that with two-up I can feel my Michelin rear tires feeling "loosey goosey" when riding the twisties aggressively which I do on a regular basis.

As I said in another post every rider needs to find their personal "happy space" on some of these settings as long as they don't create a dangerous situation. I've found mine. :D

AT Brother Zook's recommendation, I'm now running 23 psi in the rears, he was right, better ride. However, I've not tested that in the twisties, so not sure what I'll find when Maggie Valley rolls around. No matter, it's all good.

AT Brother Zook's recommendation, I'm now running 23 psi in the rears, he was right, better ride. However, I've not tested that in the twisties, so not sure what I'll find when Maggie Valley rolls around. No matter, it's all good.

Love Maggie Valley and have used it as base camp several times. So many neat roads to ride other than The Dragon which I have several t-shirts from.

If you get a chance go up around Little Switzerland too. Oh heck, just throw a dart and go riding! :clapping:

Thanks Mike, appreciate the kind words. Plan to do 3 days at the TT ride in at Maggie, then spend some time with an old Post Office buddy now living in the Sevierville TN area, rides a Harley and we have a great time exploring. I'm definitely looking fwd to this ride, but checking the weather at that time is not looking good, but perhaps it will improve. Looks like we will have a good crowd, but if the threat of rain is bad, many will drop out, hope the Weather Gods will be kind. Living in the flat lads of Florida, I don't get much opportunity to ride those majestic mountain roads, having lived near the Skyline Drive area for a number of years, I miss it.

Living in the flat lads of Florida, I don't get much opportunity to ride those majestic mountain roads, having lived near the Skyline Drive area for a number of years, I miss it.

You know your trike has wheels, right? You're close enough to make a long weekend trip to MV! Some of those north Georgia roads ain't bad either. Just sayin...….. ;)

You know your trike has wheels, right? You're close enough to make a long weekend trip to MV! Some of those north Georgia roads ain't bad either. Just sayin...….. ;)

Looking forward to getting back up there and seeing how our trike handles on all the roads we’ve ridden over the years! Going to be different not “peg scraping “ for sure 😳.

Maybe I’ll find a single rail trailer and tow the DUC up behind the trike lol

Oh yes, Roger That.....Catching up with some of my 'stuff' so we can do that. Millie loves to ride 'back set', so we are compatible.

Looking forward to getting back up there and seeing how our trike handles on all the roads we’ve ridden over the years! Going to be different not “peg scraping “ for sure 😳.

Maybe I’ll find a single rail trailer and tow the DUC up behind the trike lol

Duc! Now you're talking some serious fun! I don't heal fast enough any longer to ride one of those and I would surely get myself into trouble. My ST1300 will have to suffice at a gentlemanly pace. :D

Ok today (8/22/18) I just lowered my air to 22lbs (rear tires)... I managed to ride it maybe a mile or so.. (only time I had to spear, after adjusting air)... I have to admit that it did indeed seem to ride much better... Tomorrow I'm going on a 350ish mile trip and towing a trailer... I will totally see how much smother this trike is now.. I'll let you all know after I return Sunday evening........:xzqxz::xzqxz:

Ronnie

Ok today (8/22/18) I just lowered my air to 22lbs (rear tires)... I managed to ride it maybe a mile or so.. (only time I had to spear, after adjusting air)... I have to admit that it did indeed seem to ride much better... Tomorrow I'm going on a 350ish mile trip and towing a trailer... I will totally see how much smother this trike is now.. I'll let you all know after I return Sunday evening........:xzqxz::xzqxz:

Ronnie

Ok as promised! Just got home from the Trike rally in the catskills, (had a ball /by the way) anyways WOW what a difference lowering my rears down to 22 lbs per tire.......The trike is now smoother (ride) then ever.....Thank you, thank you, thank you!

Before lowering tire pressure, I could really actually feel every tiny pebble i ran over over, it was like driving a tractor with wheels, now it's smooth, :clapping::clapping::clapping:

Ronnie

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PERuss

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PERuss
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png