Champion Conversion Kit Seat Issues

PSL5082

30+ Posts
Aug 18, 2016
RI
Hi,

I have a slight problem that has driven me crazy since I've owned the trike. I'm hoping that someone can shed some light on this for me.

The problem is that my seats do not seem to sit properly. The kit I have is a Champion Harley-Davidson® FLH 2008 & Down

Independent Suspension kit on a 2001 Road Glide (FLTR).

There is a gap between the seat pan and the frame that depending on the seat in use, varies in size. The other issue is that on some of the seats, the passenger portion actually has a slight downward tilt, causing my wife to slide forward into me, making the seat unusable. This is particularly evident with the Harley Road Zeppelin seat and a Saddleman seat I have. The seat I'm using now is an Ultimate brand. That one fits OK, still showing a gap, but at least it sits level. I do have a stock seat from an Ultra that sits better, but still not as it should be. Besides, the seat itself is too uncomfortable for us.

I'm not sure, but it seems like the part from the manual called the seat mount might be the culprit. It might be sitting too high? I see no way of adjusting this other than front to back.

Does anyone familiar with the Champion kits have any thoughts on this? I'm stumped. By the way, I can't go back to my installer as unfortunately he has passed away. Hope someone can help.

Thanks in advance

-- Paul

:welcome: to Trike Talk Family form South Texas! :wave4:

Sorry I don't have a CSC trike... I know one of the other maybe able to assist.

Robert

Paul, I have a kit for 2015 Roadglide, straight axle, and have the same problem. My Harley Hammock seat does not even come close to fitting. The stock gunslinger seat fits fine, but I wouldn't want to travel on it very far. I don't have an answer to the problem, just wanted you to know you're not alone....

hello Paul

welcome to trike talk from east texas, I don't have a HD but my goldwing seat was not to my liking, it just was not confortable & the wife had the same problem of sliding forward, I was all ways asking her to move back in her seat.

I got a Tom Simmons custom seat made ( he is in Ark. one man operation ) we called him and talked of the problems with our Honda seat, the wife also told him she was all way sliding forward. he said he could fix both problem and did. we have put many 1000s of miles on the seat and it is the best $$ I have spent

ps Tom builds seat for all motorcycles ( tscustomseat.com )

welcome to trike talk from east texas, I don't have a HD but my goldwing seat was not to my liking, it just was not confortable & the wife had the same problem of sliding forward, I was all ways asking her to move back in her seat.

I got a Tom Simmons custom seat made ( he is in Ark. one man operation ) we called him and talked of the problems with our Honda seat, the wife also told him she was all way sliding forward. he said he could fix both problem and did. we have put many 1000s of miles on the seat and it is the best $$ I have spent

ps Tom builds seat for all motorcycles ( tscustomseat.com )

Clarence, the seat for your GL1500 is mounted in the stock Honda position. You should be nicer to your wife when she only wants to be nearer to you. The Champion kit didn't change the location.

On Brett's Harley kit they make a bracket for the seat that does change the seat positioning and that bracket could be the culprit on his.

I am wondering if you have an E-Z Steer (without fork spacers) and that might make the front end sit lower giving you that same feeling.

I am also wondering the same thing about the Harley too.

A 5-6 degree rake can lower the front end by 1 1/2".

Clarence, the seat for your GL1500 is mounted in the stock Honda position. You should be nicer to your wife when she only wants to be nearer to you. The Champion kit didn't change the location.

On Brett's Harley kit they make a bracket for the seat that does change the seat positioning and that bracket could be the culprit on his.

I am wondering if you have an E-Z Steer (without fork spacers) and that might make the front end sit lower giving you that same feeling.

Thanks Jim! My trees came with spacers. I'll have to look closer at that bracket..... When it cools off again... My little shop/garage has no a/c? … LOL

Thanks for the info...

tom simmons custom seat

Thanks for the info... His website seems to be down.

I did not get it on the web site I gave you but I googled ( tom simmons custom seats ) and got his site try that,

he will not make a seat until he get to talk to you and you need to take pictures of you and you wife on the old seat. he does great work but his completion date did slip on mine. you have to send your seat to him and he does his magic . he did say if he had a seat at the shop he would start your seat and before he got yours , and swap seat with you. pull his site up and look at some of the seats he has done, you will love them.

hay Lee

yes I do have a 6 degree rake on my 1500, the seat Tom build us fix all out problems, the wife does not slide forwards any more, we have road the seat for many many miles, our longest day was 13 hrs. we was tired but our butts did not hurt. Tom can make you set up, down forwards and backwards to a point. ( I do not recommend 13 hr day ) I guess you and tell I am very satisfied with our seat. have a nice day

yes I do have a 6 degree rake on my 1500, the seat Tom build us fix all out problems, the wife does not slide forwards any more, we have road the seat for many many miles, our longest day was 13 hrs. we was tired but our butts did not hurt. Tom can make you set up, down forwards and backwards to a point. ( I do not recommend 13 hr day ) I guess you and tell I am very satisfied with our seat. have a nice day

Clarence, I was responding to both the seat fitment issue on a Harley-Davidson and your subsequent response.

I was not saying that your seat hasn't helped or wasn't necessary.

I was only saying (thinking aloud) that the Champion conversion itself had no bearing on the seat location or attitude.

But that the addition of a E-Z Steer would lower the motorcycle compounding the original disappointment with the stock seat.

The Harley-Davidson on the other hand has a distinctively different seat attachment point that is totally dependent on the Champion supplied hardware and with the addition of an E-Z Steer, that would be suspect to his issue.

Clarence, I was responding to both the seat fitment issue on a Harley-Davidson and your subsequent response.

I was not saying that your seat hasn't helped or wasn't necessary.

I was only saying (thinking aloud) that the Champion conversion itself had no bearing on the seat location or attitude.

But that the addition of a E-Z Steer would lower the motorcycle compounding the original disappointment with the stock seat.

The Harley-Davidson on the other hand has a distinctively different seat attachment point that is totally dependent on the Champion supplied hardware and with the addition of an E-Z Steer, that would be suspect to his issue.

Thanks to all who responded about my seat issue on the Harley conversion. I understand that the seat mount is dependent on the Champion hardware and the E-Z Steer. It just seems odd that a couple of my seats sit level and others do not. I guess at this point, it appears that nothing can be done to the mount itself to change the seat position.

-- Paul

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Semiringeye

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Semiringeye
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png