U joint

I have a 2012 Gold Wing with a 2017 Trike conversion. I noticed the grease seal on the rear universal joint has came apart on one side. Can I get a new u joint locally or will I have to order it from Roadsmith? I just noticed this today so I can't call Roadsmith until tomorrow.

Thanks,

Willie

I called Mike at Roadsmith and got a part number for the U joint. Went to NAPA and picked one up. Finished installing it today and we are leaving on a trip tomorrow. The old U joint was really bad one side was completely destroyed (needle bearing ground up). I'm a little disappointed because this U joint had less than 25,000 miles on it.

Willie

U joints are subject to break, as most things are, my understanding is, the joints are sealed, but have zerk fittings for lube, and I do lube mine from time to time. I was always confused whether to lube them or not, believe Road Smith says it is optional, but I'm reaching into my memory and I may be wrong. In my mind, a U joint should not fail at 25K miles.

Not being familiar with how the drive shaft alignment is on a roadsmith, but this I do know as universals will last if in a straight line from trans to rearend, if it is not, then it will ware prematurely from the constant bearing ware. Needle bearings are not that durable. However a constant water proof grease used when lubing will extend its life.

Question, best way to get that zerk fitting on the U joint in position for a shot of grease?

You can get u joins with fittings in the caps
DSC00165.JPG
like this 1 from spicer

Present day MotorTrike IRS kits do have a Zerk fitting in the end of one cap. Makes greasing the front U-Joint on '06 and newer GL1800 Trikes so much easier. I don't know if they get them that way or add the Zerk in house. :xszpv: :xszpv:

Right Gold, was up under there this afternoon, found them both, my solution to get the zerks in position, was to look under and continue to roll the machine until they both appeared in position to fit the grease gun. Not that difficult.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Semiringeye

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Semiringeye
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png