2019 HD Tri Glide Ultra - Meh

Capt.Bob

Apr 6, 2016
Vero Beach, Florida
I finally got to see a 2019 HD Tri Glide Ultra at a relatively local dealer. I was wondering about numerous new little things on the 2019 and if it might be worth a jump from my 2017 M8 TGU with 7500 miles. The answer in a nutshell is "Meh". For someone upgrading to the newer M8 engine, it would be a different story but for existing customers such as myself, I did not see enough improvements to warrant current consideration of the new trike and I will explain by listing my concerns and appreciations of the new ride:

1. The new coil over single source adjustable shocks and shock connections raise the new trike to the same rear muffler height as my 2017 with DK Customs Lift Kit (7" from the ground at the bottom of the muffler tip) which keeps the trike from looking like it is sagging in the rear. The seat now removes with one hand twist knurled bolt.

2. New front fork rates that likely improve the ride.

3. The Infotainment system has a new look but do not know if it has increased functionality?

4. The 107 ci M8's run hot and I am wondering if the new 114's run even hotter? I also could not get any explanation if there have been internal changes in the engine to ameliorate some of the problems that some M8's are experiencing such as loss of trans fluid into the primary, failed oil pumps, etc.

5. What do we need traction control for? I just don't get it?

6.Some of the new trike colors are not that appealing.

I realized today that I have everything I like on my 2017 and so do not see appreciable changes to the new trike that are compelling enough to contemplate a change to the MY2019. The salesman asked if I would like to demo the trike and I told him that I was not interested but thanked him for his generosity but said to him that demo rides are not "free".

He said that they are "free" but I explained to him that test rides sometimes end up in purchases that do cost money:p Since I did not see enough compelling changes, I didn't want to waste the dealership's generosity and test ride the new trike out of curiosity although I really was curious if the suspension and/or engine made much difference in the feel of the trike?

I guess I will happily rack up the miles on the 2017 and see what 2020 brings and how the new 114 performs from a reliability standpoint?

That’s exactly how I feel - Wife/I love our 2010’s and they are FIXED UP like we want!

In retrospect i should have kept my 11Tri-Glide, My 17 M8 Tri brought me no joy, Sometimes newer and [Supposedly] better isn't...... So now i'm in an entirely different direction trike wise.....And i'm starting to enjoy it more and more every day....

In retrospect i should have kept my 11Tri-Glide, My 17 M8 Tri brought me no joy, Sometimes newer and [Supposedly] better isn't...... So now i'm in an entirely different direction trike wise.....And i'm starting to enjoy it more and more every day....

Sometimes we initially get that little voice talking ("Buyers Remorse") to us about was it worth it, is really better than what I had? My case it was should I have bought such an expensive vehicle that will be seen by most in my rural area as an unnecessary luxury/recreational waste of money? After several long rides my thoughts became, why give a thinkers #@$& what others think. Now smiles per mile and it's "Great To Be Alive" are my new emotions. Nothing like hanging some curves, hills, corners and miles to give ya that Cheschire Cat grin and raise the Spirt!!:D

30,000 trouble free miles on my 16. No interest in trading.

I have to agree 24K on my 16 Tri, without a hiccup. Running strong!

Now smiles per mile and it's "Great To Be Alive" are my new emotions. Nothing like hanging some curves, hills, corners and miles to give ya that Cheschire Cat grin and raise the Spirt!!:D

And as stated, miles of smiles!

I was planning on buying a street machine Sporty or something on those lines. But reality set in I think I'll get new shocks rear and new suspension in forks. May also add fan assisted oil cooler, and oil Temp. gage. Possibly new seat or have the OEM seat upgraded. And all those upgrades will still be far less than what a Sporty or such would cost, and way less than Purchasing a new Triglide. We all have different thoughts on our machines, I really believe we only keep them for the next owner and the condition they are in speaks silently about how we take care of them. And especially if we have someone in our family to pass the Harley on to. :good:Ride safe Fred

DSC00555.JPG

Anyone done a test ride that can comment on the difference in ride comfort with the new rear suspension system. :confused: I note it is available for retrofit back to the 14' model year but, @ $800 plus installation, would like opinions on whether it is worth the cost.......

For the rear, go with Pro Action shocks. You will be smiling. :D

I know that people have very much liked the Pro Action shocks that DK Customs is selling. However, the Harley retrofit coil overs with the single point hydraulic preload looks pretty interesting. You don't have to set each shock individually. It would be great if someone that owns a 2014 Tri Glide with the Pro Action shocks had an opportunity to compare the new rides. One of the advantages I see to the Harley setup is that you can very quickly re-adjust the preload settings with the one knob for the different weight requirements as they can change significantly between 1 and 2 riders and/or lots of gear.

Engine wise my 17 has had no issues,cant say for other items such as left handlebar switch,right cooling fan and now trans oil transmitting to primary(i think the fix for this will be out before spring by someone).So i myself will not be trading maybe next year,if i dont trade i will be upgrading the shocks and doing the stage 1 air cleaner along with a gutted head pipe and a tune.Still be cheaper than trading up.

I know that people have very much liked the Pro Action shocks that DK Customs is selling. However, the Harley retrofit coil overs with the single point hydraulic preload looks pretty interesting. You don't have to set each shock individually. It would be great if someone that owns a 2014 Tri Glide with the Pro Action shocks had an opportunity to compare the new rides. One of the advantages I see to the Harley setup is that you can very quickly re-adjust the preload settings with the one knob for the different weight requirements as they can change significantly between 1 and 2 riders and/or lots of gear.

I have not seen a 19 yet. Curious if the shock set-up is what they were selling a few yrs ago as the "premium" shock ? Only one shock had the adjusting knob. if so, had a set & disliked it very much.

I have not seen a 19 yet. Curious if the shock set-up is what they were selling a few yrs ago as the "premium" shock ? Only one shock had the adjusting knob. if so, had a set & disliked it very much.

PosseRider, From what I surmised looking at the adjustment setup, I think the pre-load adjustment knob is hydraulically linked to both shocks equally. That way, when you set the pre-load, both shocks receive the adjustment from the one knob that is located just under the passenger seat. The adjustment knob flips up, has calibration marks on it and then tucks down flat to put the seat back on the trike.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Markh853

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Markh853
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png