New build with a difference, the Strike.

bexrbetter

Reaction score
Hey Guys, I have started a new build these days and it goes like this;

The basic concept is of a medium sized Trike, larger than a Goldwing, smaller than a Boom/Rewaco and using a front wheel drive car engine/driveline package, including suspension.

I have decided to offset the rider some so as to fit the passenger to the side, but using a staggered seating where the passenger's shoulders are behind the rider. Hence the name "Strike", cross between a Trike and a Sidecar.

Here is an apoximate conceptional drawing of the layout ...

Image88.jpg Image44.jpg

My power choice is a VW Mk4 platform, common to mid 2000's Golf and Jetta. I bought a Jetta 1.8, 4 speed automatic last week, at least was good for the hours drive home, and so pulled the engine/trans out a few days ago.

bora sad.jpg VW 1,8 unit.jpg

... and measured it all up and transalated it to 3D down to the last detail, hard to tell it's not the real thing!

VW 3D engine block.JPG :laugh:

Also last week I found a really nice set of 'off the shelf' trailing link front forks, robust 2.5" main legs, well made triple clamps, and I really like the 'praying mantis' look they have ..

leading link 3.jpg leading forks real.jpg also translated into 3D .. leading forks 3D.jpg

So there. During the week I will first start to build an engine and suspension cradle, then think about the forward frame, and later what to do about bodywork/styling.

I have built multiple race and rally cars, and a few scratch designed and built cars and reverse trikes during my lifetime, looking forward to this one!

Mark :)

Welcome to the forum interesting build please keep us posted. :good: travel safe Fred

Just figuring where a few things go, frame tubes, radiator, fuel tank etc.

First thing tomorrow is onto the lathe and make steering head bearing cups for the headstock.

Strike September 3rd.jpg

I was walking past a previous Clubman kit car I designed and developed, and thought, hmmm, wonder if the rear bodywork from that will fit, ... it does! Needs a bit more added to it, but starting with a foundation is always a good start.

rear bodywork LHD.jpg

Well I pulled the front end out of the VW Bora (or Jetta) today , so I guess the real work starts now.

Measuring, into 3D, clean and paint what you see here, and start building the subchassis to tie it altogether.

front end 2.jpg

front end 3D.jpg

Hey Guys, I have started a new build these days and it goes like this;

The basic concept is of a medium sized Trike, larger than a Goldwing, smaller than a Boom/Rewaco and using a front wheel drive car engine/driveline package, including suspension.

I have decided to offset the rider some so as to fit the passenger to the side, but using a staggered seating where the passenger's shoulders are behind the rider. Hence the name "Strike", cross between a Trike and a Sidecar.

Here is an apoximate conceptional drawing of the layout ...

View attachment 61153 View attachment 61152

My power choice is a VW Mk4 platform, common to mid 2000's Golf and Jetta. I bought a Jetta 1.8, 4 speed automatic last week, at least was good for the hours drive home, and so pulled the engine/trans out a few days ago.

View attachment 61156 View attachment 61154

... and measured it all up and transalated it to 3D down to the last detail, hard to tell it's not the real thing!

View attachment 61157 :laugh:

Also last week I found a really nice set of 'off the shelf' trailing link front forks, robust 2.5" main legs, well made triple clamps, and I really like the 'praying mantis' look they have ..

View attachment 61158 View attachment 61160 also translated into 3D .. View attachment 61159

So there. During the week I will first start to build an engine and suspension cradle, then think about the forward frame, and later what to do about bodywork/styling.

I have built multiple race and rally cars, and a few scratch designed and built cars and reverse trikes during my lifetime, looking forward to this one!

Mark :)

Looking forward to seeing the completed vehicle!

Gonna be interesting to see how that thing handles right turns as opposed to left turns!

Tight center of mass located appropriately, looking for 30/70 FR, low center of gravity, 60" track, can't see any big problem. It's all about levers, simple physics 101.

And unlike the 3D shows, the engine's weight is actually offset to the right.

It's primarily for 2 up touring anyway.

If it is an issue, I have a backup plan, show a picture later.

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Glockjock
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png