• It appears that you have unread Personal Messages - Please check your inbox!

Oil change and overfilled it a touch maybe???

Reaction score
As I have to go through coniptions to jack up my Motor Trike with running boards to change the oil.

I got a tad lazy and just jacked up the front enough to get at the oil filter and the drain plug.

#1 changed it cold.

#2 after I drained it, filled the filter with oil and put it back on.

#3 let the bike down and put in the rest of the 4 quarts.

Started up the engine. Let it run for about 2-3 minutes. No leaks.

Checked the dipstick and its at the top of the cross hatching on it.

I believe its the middle mark on the stick thats the full mark??

If at the bottom its the add mark??

So if Im at the top of it.

Am I horribly over filled that I should take some oil out??

Or am I ok?? The top is the full mark??

I know what over filling say a quart can do but in my case am I ok to ride the trike??

You are correct the middle mark is the fill line. Did you screw the dip stick in? It should be checked just putting it in the opening and setting in the hole unscrewed.

If it were a Harley not to worry.....Just drive it and it will spit out all the extra oil though the air cleaner, ...Honda i'm not sure but if it were mine i would take some oil out, Both you and the Honda will feel better..:Shrug:

If it were a Harley not to worry.....Just drive it and it will spit out all the extra oil though the air cleaner, ...Honda i'm not sure but if it were mine i would take some oil out, Both you and the Honda will feel better..:Shrug:

After this is determined. you definitely, need to remove some oil if it is over filled. GL will not handle a overfill of half quart or more.

After this is determined. you definitely, need to remove some oil if it is over filled. GL will not handle a overfill of half quart or more.

So being at the top is about half a quart. Wasn't sure. This dipstick being unmarked and all.

Appreciate it.

Thanks all.

No I didn't screw it in just put it in the filler hole and pulled it back out.

Oh well. Time to make a mess.

So being at the top is about half a quart. Wasn't sure. This dipstick being unmarked and all.

Appreciate it.

Thanks all.

No I didn't screw it in just put it in the filler hole and pulled it back out.

Oh well. Time to make a mess.

Go to farm and supply store and get a large syringe, hook a piece of small tubing to it and suck oil out at filler hole. No fuss, no mess. Use a long enough piece of tubing that it cannot accidentally fall done into engine!!!!!

Reactions: MDO
Go to farm and supply store and get a large syringe, hook a piece of small tubing to it and suck oil out at filler hole. No fuss, no mess. Use a long enough piece of tubing that it cannot accidentally fall done into engine!!!!!

This is what a friend of mine did to his...It worked!!!

Ronnie

As mentioned above by MH...Don't let that tube fall into your engine, Maybe (just a suggestion here) also purchase a small "hose clamp, and tighten the tube onto the syringe, B4, putting tube into motor!!!

I tried to use a piece of quarter inch tubing. Since it didn't fit in the same spot as the dipstick itself.

I pushed it into the filler hole well over a foots worth and then sucked on the hose end.

It pulled up exactly ZERO oil????

I guess I will have to remove the oil filter and hope that it has enough come out there.

I don't wish to pull the drain plug. Measure out what comes and then refill.

I guess I will find out on Saturday..................

What a dumb mistake on my part...........not worth being lazy. There is always a 1st time in 40 years of riding taking a shortcut rarely pays.

Jay, I realized that I made the mistake of jacking up the trike to get the fill pan under and to do the drain plug, duh, I realized the machine is not level and all the oil does not drain, so when I dump in another 4 quarts, minus a tad, I'm in over fill. This had no adverse effect for months on end, but 'ding' the light went off about the over fill. I mean, I never checked the dip stick, just change and and pour in new. There was never any over flow, but I suppose it could have accumulated elsewhere, however, the air filter was pretty clean last change. Go figure.

Jay, I realized that I made the mistake of jacking up the trike to get the fill pan under and to do the drain plug, duh, I realized the machine is not level and all the oil does not drain, so when I dump in another 4 quarts, minus a tad, I'm in over fill. This had no adverse effect for months on end, but 'ding' the light went off about the over fill. I mean, I never checked the dip stick, just change and and pour in new. There was never any over flow, but I suppose it could have accumulated elsewhere, however, the air filter was pretty clean last change. Go figure.

I pulled the drain plug and took out about 3/4 of a quart. Put back the plug. Let it run for about 5 minutes. Came back in an hour and it read at the middle line.

I have never checked levels. Just drained it hot and level. Put in 4 quarts and went about my business.

This was the 1st time I did it cold and only jacked up the front a few inches. I can say I wont be doing that again.

Im at 30K miles and haven't even looked at the air filter yet.

Too much trouble to get at it.

But

I guess I will have to check the air filter eventually.....................................Someday.

To me, that dip stick is totally confusing, but I suppose it serves a purpose. Seems I've heard run for five, cool for 3 or 4, then check. Supposedly that gives the top end oil to seep to the pan to give an accurate reading on the stick. I dunno, I'll continue to drain with engine as close to level as possible, give it a few house to drain, and then pour in four quarts, that should work.

To me, that dip stick is totally confusing, but I suppose it serves a purpose. Seems I've heard run for five, cool for 3 or 4, then check. Supposedly that gives the top end oil to seep to the pan to give an accurate reading on the stick. I dunno, I'll continue to drain with engine as close to level as possible, give it a few house to drain, and then pour in four quarts, that should work.

Your way is my way. Until this time. I jacked up the front just enough to get the pan under the drain plug.

Maybe 2 to 4 inches at most.

So yes the bikes not level. Maybe because I did it cold too. That was enough cold and 4 inches to overfill it.

I should be OK now I guess I will find out if the light goes on today. If it doesn't. I hope Im not back here in another 5K miles asking stupid questions.

Jay, far as I know, there's no penalty here for asking questions, makes for a good read and an opportunity to share.

To make my trike level, and 4in. higher (when changing oil/filter) I took a 2X12" board, and cut 6 (six) 12 inches pieces, and screwed two boards on top of each other... (and jack up trike) and then place the boards under each tire, (now bike is still level but it now 4 inches higher... just perfect to crawl under to service it.... Just a "thought" here for easier servicing. :clapping::clapping::clapping::clapping:

Ronnie

It doesn't make any difference is the bike/trike is jacked up in the front back, or in the middle. Just make sure it is all drained out, put in 4 quarts, and forget it.

To make my trike level, and 4in. higher (when changing oil/filter) I took a 2X12" board, and cut 6 (six) 12 inches pieces, and screwed two boards on top of each other... (and jack up trike) and then place the boards under each tire, (now bike is still level but it now 4 inches higher... just perfect to crawl under to service it.... Just a "thought" here for easier servicing. :clapping::clapping::clapping::clapping:

Ronnie

Not a bad idea, where do you place the jack to life the back?

It doesn't make any difference is the bike/trike is jacked up in the front back, or in the middle. Just make sure it is all drained out, put in 4 quarts, and forget it.

True, but if it's jacked up in front, all the oil will not drain, so gotta drop it down so the thing is level.

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Glockjock
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png