Gravel roads

Mar 29, 2016
Tehachapi, Ca, USA
I was wondering how many of you have to ride on gravel roads on a regular basis and have you experienced drive belt damage. On my older Roadking I once had to ride on a road covered with fresh gravel and oil. Once I got home and inspected the bike I found the belt cut on the edge and had to replace it. On Harley trikes the belt is out in the open with no gravel guard and looks to me to be very vulnerable to damage from gravel/rocks thrown up by the tires. I ask because we are looking at a new (to us) house and it has about a 100 yard gravel driveway I would have to ride over going to and from the house.

I have about 1/2 mile of gravel before I get to the asphalt from my house, it is evenly split between driveway and county road.

within the first 10000 miles on my trike I found that a rock or possibly a stick had gotten lodged between the belt and the bottom part of the housing and wore a groove into the center of my belt. Fortunately my insurance covered it under comprehensive so I only had the $100 deductible out of pocket. The Dealer quoted $987 to replace it.

So it can happen.

After that I did 2 thing to keep it from happening again

1. I try to keep my speed at 10 MPH or less.

2. I made a custom fender skirt that is 3" longer than stock. https://www.triketalk.com/forum/threads/49560-Finally-put-my-fender-skirt-together

I believe the skirt has helped a lot plus I do a pretty good job with keeping the speed down.

It also keeps the cover over the water pump a lot cleaner.

Bob

Not a trike or Harley but I travel down 3 miles of the junk every time I go out on my Indian Roadmaster. And my wife on her Spyder RT Limited is usually right behind me. We did add what was called the "missing belt guard" to hers though. Now on the Indian they call for a belt replacement at 30,000 miles which I'm coming up on. Many refuse to do it but I think I'm going to just because we do travel so many gravel roads. Kinda hard to avoid them in Texas. I only look for obvious holes anyway but will be taking a very close look on the next scheduled maintenance. So far we've both been very lucky I think but we don't remove anything in that area hoping for the best. But belts are a concern. We both had bikes with driveshafts and much prefer that over belts but you take what they have.

My only encounter with gravel is a three quarter mile stretch of a washed out asphalt pothole ridden partially gravel road that leads to an outdoor gun range. I ride this stretch very cautiously, as those potholes are quite large. Don't trike this road on a regular basis, however, if errands while on the trike take me near the range, then I'll toss a few hundred round boxes in the trunk and swing by the range. So my encounters with gravel are not daily as yours.

In the future when a complete driveway resurface is needed, you may want to consider a Tar-and-Chip Driveway. Its cost is a bit more than a gravel driveway, but much less than an asphalt or concrete driveway. You'll get a solid textured like surface with more grip when walking and better traction in wet and snow conditions. Slow and easy is the best means to avoid throwing stones and possible damage underneath. Wish ya the best!

I ride on a Gravel/dirt mud road a few times a month one mile in ,one mile out..And that does worry me but i have to do it to get into my camp. The only precaution i take is drive slow, avoid the puddles...And hope for the best....:Shrug:

Our driveway is about 50 yards of gravel, so I ride on that everyday. I go slow, 5-10 mph. Knock on wood, never had a problem.

When we traveled the Yukon and then the Haul Road, up to the Arctic Circle, that was hundreds of miles on gravel roads...sometimes at 5-10 miles an hour because of the potholes in the gravel road, but most of it at 45-65 mph on graveled roads.

(on the Haul Road, even at 65 mph you are going slow and gotta be careful not to get run over by the semi's running 70-80 mph)

Anyway, I was very concerned about the belt, but had no choice if we wanted to keep going. Had no belt damage.

I realize it's "the luck of the draw", a single pebble on an asphalt road can get picked up and damage the belt.

For this reason, I do try and increase my odds of NOT getting belt damage by having an extended front fender skirt.

Kevin

Big thing here is road millings, cheep, durable , and a better base than item 4.

At one time they would pay you to take away the road millings....Now with the EPA Mandating New black top has to be made with 30% millings, They don't give it away anymore....And thats why most repaving of roads fall apart in two years or less, You can only reheat rock just so many times before it wont stick to the asphalt road surface..

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kennyg

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kennyg
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png